Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Scratching Scratching

DDNero

Cavy Slave
Ok so today I brought my guinea pig to the vet. He had been scratching a lot and I was worried it might have been mites and when I brought him to the vet, the vet said it wasn't after checking. The vet did say that the scratching was because of something else, but he didn't gave me the name of it and that's what I would like to know. Ok so apart from the scratching, on the edge of my guinea pig ears is somewhat rough and I guess crusty, he has a small bald spot on the back of both of his ears, and he also had like a slight crust like on the ears on his nipples. What the vet said it was, was something concerning oil that became rough. The vet was also able to actually take out the crust (I guess you can call it like that) from the nipples and part of my guinea pigs ears and said I just needed to slowly take it out with baby oil. He said that the balding was because it and that it wasn't fungi. I dont know if that was of any help, but I hope it was and that maybe somebody can give me the name of what my guinea pig has.

I don't know what the name of that is, but I would use cold-pressed extra virgin coconut oil instead of the baby oil since the coconut oil is all natural, baby oil isn't.
I hope your piggy gets better!

Bald spots behind the ears are normal! They can look downright terrifying on some pigs, but every pig has them. I'm with @Lagertha on the cold pressed virgin coconut oil, because it's also got medicinal properties in addition to its oily properties.

If he's scratching a lot, I might also take him to another vet if possible, or treat for mites yourself if you feel that he has them. Mites are impossible to see with the naked eye because they're under the skin, and so they way to see them is to scrape off some skin and look under a microscope. That painful test misses mites at least half of the time, so the general recommendation is to treat if you think they've got mites.

Ok! Thanks to both of you!

Scratching Oh by the way, on the bald spots it has those dark black patches on them. Is it normal?

View attachment 75690 Oh by the way, on the bald spots it has those dark black patches on them. Is it normal?

I think that might just be his coat colors on his skin! I agree with @PandaPiggle though, if he is still scratching I would treat him for mites if you think he has them. Try the coconut oil first though :) My teddy bear baby was scratching a lot and had dandruff and I got the oil for him. He stopped scratching almost immediately after I rubbed it into his fur and skin :)

Is your guinea pig a male or female? Crusty nipples are a sign of ovarian cysts, which only females get.

That crusty stuff on the ear looks like a fungal infection. I would use some over the counter anti-fungal cream a few times a day.

All right. Good to hear it might just be his coat color.

My guinea pig is a male

So you think it is a fungal infection? :/ and wouldn't it be maybe a little dangerous if I just grab a random anti-fungal cream?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.