Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

General Single Pig in college dorm - need your advice/suggesting and inputs

Kaeseorin

Cavy Gazer
A year ago I adopted Darcy, a 1 1/2 year old male Silkie piggy. At the time, he was very sick and had previously lived in a small cage, covered in his own feces. He also never ate the right diet or had any attention probably for the majority of his whole life.

I have since gotten him 100 % better and built him a large c and c cage, and he is now a generally happy and expressive piggy! When I was at the veterinary clinic, the Vet even pointed out how he was the most "expressive" guinea pig she had ever seen. He likes to talk a lot and has a big personality.

The reason I never got a friend for him is because at the former home, they had a female counter part that they planned on breeding him with, but they said whenever they saw each other, the female would attack him and try to kill him, so I was hesitant about getting a friend. Also at the time, my mother was very against the idea so I was unable too.

Because I was an online student this last school year, I spent all day with him. On average, I had/ have him out 8 hours a day or more. During this time, he runs around my room, bed, living room, or snuggles with me. He is very spoiled and I make it my job to keep him entertained and loved as much as possible. Whenever I hold him or have him out near me, he constantly talks to me and loves snuggling up by my neck.

So here is where I need your advice, in a few months I am moving to college, and I can take him with me into my single dorm room because he is my emotional support animal ( I have severe anxiety/depression ) I'm wondering if this is ok for him? He has never shown signs of depression before, but I'm wondering if he will if I can't give him as much attention as I can right now. I would still be able to have him out with me for about 5 hours a day, maybe more, but I feel so guilty when I'm not with him. I'm sure the college won't let me get a friend for him, so I'm wondering what advice any of you have for me concerning his well-being and happiness.

I'm currently on the market for a stuffed animal he can snuggle with because I read that can be comforting... Is this accurate?

Thank you very much for taking the time reading this long post, I very much appreciate it.

Katherine

Attachments

image.jpg

recklessdoll

Cavy Slave
I currently have two very lively happy male piggies as emotional support animals in my dorm. They were just fine I gave them as much attention and free roam time as possible and didn't notice a difference in behavior. Only thing is that after the move one of my boys had some allergies adjusting to the new environment. Lots of toys to play with while you are gone will help too! Let me know if you have any questions.

Kaeseorin

Cavy Gazer
That is awesome that you could take both of your piggies with you! This gives me hope, and maybe just maybe I will allowed to adopt another piggy so Darcy could have a friend. Do you mind telling me what kind of college you went too? I'm going to a small private catholic college and their rules are pretty strict. Also, Thank you so much for replying so quickly!

recklessdoll

Cavy Slave
That is awesome that you could take both of your piggies with you! This gives me hope, and maybe just maybe I will allowed to adopt another piggy so Darcy could have a friend. Do you mind telling me what kind of college you went too? I'm going to a small private catholic college and their rules are pretty strict. Also, Thank you so much for replying so quickly!

I attend a public university, the rules as far as what's allowed in the dorms are strict but I went through an office called access services. They deal with disabilities and got a note through my counselor so they could approve me having an animal. They were okay with me having two as long as it was one pen, I would definitely contact your school to see what you need to do to be allowed a service animal sooner rather than later. No problem I was really worried before I started too!

Kaeseorin

Cavy Gazer
I attend a public university, the rules as far as what's allowed in the dorms are strict but I went through an office called access services. They deal with disabilities and got a note through my counselor so they could approve me having an animal. They were okay with me having two as long as it was one pen, I would definitely contact your school to see what you need to do to be allowed a service animal sooner rather than later. No problem I was really worried before I started too!

Okay, I certainly will. Thank you for your help!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.