Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Fleece What about Wool??

Lysha278

Cavy Gazer
Has anyone ever tried using wool as a liner? I used to cloth diaper my children and wool was considered one of the best fabrics to used due to its "magical" urine transformation. I'll try to explain briefly - wool absorbs urine and when it dries turns it into salt water (salinization), which just leaves a slight salt residue. Eventually it will build up and have an odor, but then it just needs a quick wash and dry and back to normal it goes.

I'm just thinking, if we're using a Uhaul underneath to do most of the absorbing, wouldn't wool be the best option? It would not only absorb into the Uhaul underneath but transform any remaining urine into salt water as it dries. You could also find wool super cheap by buying wool sweaters from Goodwills, Salvation Army's, etc.

Any inputs? I currently use shredded paper (I get it free from work, bonus) and am DYING to switch (its not great with odors or absorbancy) but am slightly hesitant - my husband hates the "guinea pig smell" and has thus far commented that he cannot smell them at all (his way of saying "you were right"). I clean our cage religiously ever week with vinegar/water solution and do spot checks a couple times a week, but I'm getting frustrated with how terrible this paper is at absorbing - I started out using cedar (I know, I know its awful, but I DIDN'T know when I first got my piggies) and it was awesome with absorbancy, but I know its horrible for them now so I don't use it.

Lysha278

Cavy Gazer
Wool would work about the same as fleece, but may not do as much wicking as it would transforming into the salt water.

You mean getting stuck in the fibers? I'm just kinda thinking out loud. Looking for feedback.

I completely agree with the bedding costs, I'm all about frugality, haha. So I'm definitely considering staying far far away from wood beddings, haha.

PandaPiggle

Cavy Slave
I've had the fleece over u-haul thing for about a year, and it's nice to not have to buy any bedding, but it's a lot of laundry! It's not too bad if you've got two pigs, but when I suddenly went from 2 to 5 it was overwhelming. I've switched to fleece over wood pellets and I spent less than $20 on the wood pellets for a 2x6 C&C with 2x2 loft! I'm curious to see how long it lasts... supposedly some people can get the wood pellets to last for months with weekly washing of the fleece, but I'm less than a week in so I haven't experienced that yet. It definitely controls odor well though, I haven't put in any potty pads and I can't smell a thing yet!

Lysha278

Cavy Gazer
Oh good to know - I was just watching a youtube video on how to make potty pads - I want to definitely try the "kitchen" idea and get a new bowl for their fresh veggies - right now I put them on their brick under the water bottle and they tend to make more of a mess of them then eat them. i'm a sewer so i'll probably make myself some pads to make things easy during clean up. I've seen people use the puppy pads/adult pads for under the fleece and one person made the comment that the adult pads for a year is only about $30. I thought maybe to try that too and cover them entirely with towels and fleece. have you tried that?

mamaduck71

Cavy Slave
Go with wood pellets! Wood is Good!

lissie

Cavy Slave
You could try using it as an absorbent layer. You'd still need a wicking layer on top. Let us know how it works.

Lac3y

Cavy Slave
You could try using it as an absorbent layer. You'd still need a wicking layer on top. Let us know how it works.

Hi I'm trying to get the wicking to work on a ton of new fleece I purchased by the yard at Joanne's. I never had problem in the past but this time I got anti pill regular but also a lot of anti pill blizzard ( the cutest prints) but doesn't seem to be wicking like in the past.

Also wondering how must vinegar/baking soda you use with detergent in a large wash in big High efficiency type washer.

Thanks

Also older fleece liners I have ..just single layer have really strong smell after washing almost like Chemical smell ... I sometimes fill garbage bag with used blankets so I have a full load to take to wash at friend's house.

Would like to find way that they don't smell anymore or thinking I should throw them all away & job st start fresh ...that's a lot of blankets I'd be throwing away!!

Help!! Thanks!!

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
You should never put vinegar in the wash with the detergent -- it interferes with the cleaning action. You can soak the fleece in vinegar water before putting it in the washer -- that will give you the most bang for the buck, as it will neutralize the urine odor.

What's the lining in your older fleece liners?

Also, it may be better to occasionally take your stuff to a laundromat that doesn't use HE washers. They're designed to save water, not to clean clothes. The happiest day of my life was when mine went out the back door to the dump because I refused to have the electronics repaired for the third time. I have a Speed Queen, the sort you see in laundromats, and I love it. EVERYTHING gets clean!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.