Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Hair Loss is my guinea out loosing hair?

Selenaah

Cavy Slave
I can't tell, if carl is losing hair? its behind his ears and one does not have a lot missing, i was told its normal, but the other side has quite a bit more, the brown patch is the one with more missing
Screen Shot 2015-07-17 at 2.26.27 PM.jpg
Screen Shot 2015-07-17 at 2.27.12 PM.png

Selenaah

Cavy Slave
Added info:
hes 6 months old, he's kept in a clean enviroment, he is almost never itchy, no eye crusting, cuts, scratches, anything, he runs around a lot, is really friendly.
I give him some carrot and/or parcely every day and then once a week I give him red peper slices as a little treat, he always has hay, water and food..

I check his fur every few days, and brush him every other day(I work long shifts every other day so on the days I have off I spend a lot of time with him)

PandaPiggle

Cavy Slave
His bald patches behind his ears look perfectly normal. Every piggy has them and they can vary in size as long as they're not red and inflamed then don't worry.

Also as far as his diet is concerned, since he is 6 months, you're going to want to stop the parsley very soon and switch to a Timothy hay based pellet if you're using an alfalfa pellet. KMS Hayloft is best, or Oxbow Cavy Cuisine (NOT cavy performance, that's for babies!!!). Also you're going to need to limit pellets to 1/8 cup per day.

For veggies, yellow or green bell pepper is better for him because it's got less sugar. Ideally he would get 1/8 pepper daily because it's got vitamin C which is critical for guinea pigs because they don't make their own. Carrot is a treat (maximum 1 baby carrot or equivalent per day), because it's not important for the guinea pig's health, they just enjoy them. Also maybe add some red or green leaf lettuce to his daily veggies so that he gets 1 cup per day. Most piggies love lettuce! And you can also add other fruits or veggies off the cavy safe food list, but green pepper and lettuce are the most important.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.