Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Skin Problems Dandruff on babies rump, is he old enough to bathe?

Lagertha

Cavy Slave
I was giving all my piggies their lap time just a moment ago and was holding, hand feeding, and petting one of our babies (Benedict).
I was scratching his rump when I noticed dandruff coming loose. I checked him over and it's only in that one spot, but I would like to take care of it now rather than later.

He will be 4 weeks old on Tuesday and was wondering if he is old enough for a light bath? I have Cain&Able brand conditioning shampoo specifically for sensitive skin that I use on my adult pigs and it helps with dandruff. Here is the shampoo listing: (broken link removed)

It's all natural and my adult pigs haven't had any issues with it and it makes their coats soft and clean (I bathe them every 4-6 weeks as needed, mostly my boar who gets VERY stinky).
It was recommended to be by guinea pig owners.

Is it safe to give his rump and quick wash to clear up the dandruff? Or is there another option I should try like coconut oil?

PandaPiggle

Cavy Slave
Benedict is a teddy, so dry skin might be an ongoing problem and I'd use cold pressed virgin coconut oil because a bath is likely to dry his skin more. Also piggies shouldn't have baths until they're 3 months old... Actually I'm introducing Clarissa to the herd this weekend so my 3.5 month baby Lacey might get her first bath... They get big so fast!!!

Lagertha

Cavy Slave
Benedict is a teddy, so dry skin might be an ongoing problem and I'd use cold pressed virgin coconut oil because a bath is likely to dry his skin more. Also piggies shouldn't have baths until they're 3 months old... Actually I'm introducing Clarissa to the herd this weekend so my 3.5 month baby Lacey might get her first bath... They get big so fast!!!

That's what I thought about his coat type! and I thought that was the case as well with the age, but I wasn't sure!
Aw!!!! Let me know how things go! :D THEY REALLY DO! My babies are 1 month old today and they are so big now! :D I have another question! I'm reintroducing my altered boar, Ikarus, to my girls and HOPEFULLY I won't need to do a buddy bath, but in the event that they don't get along right away (though judging by their personalities they should!) how should I proceed? Should I wait 2 more months until Sigyn is 3 months old or????

Lagertha

Cavy Slave
@PandaPiggle I got the cold-pressed extra virgin coconut oil and applied it to the dandruff spot last night and it worked beautifully! He loved it :D He smells so nice now too haha!
Thank you for your advice! His coat is all nice and moisturized and soft now and he is a super happy pig, popcorning every where!

PandaPiggle

Cavy Slave
Aww yay Benedict! I did always love having the coconut teddy pig smell, although mine didn't actually like me putting oil on her, but she was a little high strung. I'm so glad Benedict is happy! Make sure to let his future humans know about the dry skin and cold pressed virgin coconut oil, because I know you're not keeping him forever and if he's got dry skin now it might be an ongoing problem.

Also maybe point his future people to Gorgeous Guineas because they've got some other things that crazy pig people might want for a piggie with dry skin. I just got shampoo from them for Clarissa's long hair (but it's fine for short hair pigs too!) so I can do a buddy bath if needed. The price wasn't ridiculous and I'm so excited to try it that I might just start with a buddy bath :\

On the subject of buddy baths, if Freya and Ikarus need a buddy bath, I'd just let Sigyn skip it since she's so small that for now she shouldn't be causing dominance issues. That's what I did with baby Lacey when I added Mirabelle to the herd, because Lacey was only about a month old and Mirabelle was just barely three months so Mira and the older pigs went in the tub and Lacey stayed behind. And it worked and I've got a herd now :)

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
I would not use that brand of shampoo. Who exactly recommended it? It's a dog shampoo, and you should never use dog or human shampoos on your guinea pigs. One especially formulated for small animals or cats is acceptable (but never a medicated one).

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.