Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Nails/Nail Trimming Keeping your cavy calm during nail trimming?

Lagertha

Cavy Slave
It's okay :) I felt like that could have been the case. I know all about those awful, hard work days. I just quit my old job and got a new one (which I love! I'm a dog trainer now BTW!)
I hope you start to get back in rhythm as far as your sleep goes. I also have a sleep disorder and know how awful that can be.

I work at a golf course deli. I had to cut off one of my regular customers of 2 years and it was really hard having to tell him he was done for the day, especially when he started getting offended and defensive. He's 77 and so of course he started telling me he knew what he could handle...it wasn't fun :/ I'm glad you got a job you enjoy! :D
Thanks! This is the worst it's been in a while :p Didn't get to sleep till 5 AM last night :p There is onl so much caffeine can fix in the morning haha

SonicexA

Cavy Slave
I feel for you! The night before last night I couldn't get to sleep at all because I stupidly drank an iced coffee too close to bedtime.
Anyway, I'm having the same problem with my wriggly piggies. This thread was great help, thanks.

emilygn

Cavy Slave
Trimming my pigs nails is something I used to dread, until my sister and I stumbled upon a very useful method! We used to try distracting them with food, pats, anything that gets them to generally sit still for more than a second. We have 9 ladies, and the way we do it now is unbelievably handy considering it used to take us multiple days!

What we do is someones wears a knit cardigan or jumper, or has one sitting on their lap. We cover the guinea pig with most of it, since ours really love feeling covered, and put it so their little nails poke out through the knitted holes in whatever we are wearing. I can generally do this by myself now, but in the beginning someone would distract the pig with a delicious strawberry or cherry tomato, and they wouldn't even notice that we were clipping their nails since they couldn't see and their foot barely needed to be moved. It just required a little head angling, or a second set of hands to crouch down and get to the nails.

I hope this helps with trimming, it certainly made it a lot easier for me!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.