Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: New sewing?

  1. #1
    Cavy Slave CavyKaren's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 03, 2015
    Posts
    14
    Thanks
    0
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

    New sewing?

    I'm in the process of switching from chips to fleece. I was talking to someone and they said they just layer their fleece on top of towels etc. they don't sew anything.
    Has anyone done this? Won't they burrow?
    I'd love it if I didn't have to sew.....

  2. #2
    Administrator lissie's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 25, 2009
    Location
    Bay Area, California
    Posts
    9,334
    Blog Entries
    3
    Thanks
    1,338
    Thanks
    2,341 Rec'd/1,698 Posts
    Mentioned
    491 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1004 Post(s)

    Re: New sewing?

    You don't have to sew. Not all pigs borrow. Try it out.

    You can always sew it later if your pigs borrow.

  3. #3
    Cavy Slave Lagertha's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 01, 2015
    Location
    Rocklin, California
    Posts
    457
    Thanks
    122
    Thanks
    66 Rec'd/61 Posts
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Quoted
    49 Post(s)

    Re: New sewing?

    Quote Originally Posted by kingsley.karen View Post
    I'm in the process of switching from chips to fleece. I was talking to someone and they said they just layer their fleece on top of towels etc. they don't sew anything.
    Has anyone done this? Won't they burrow?
    I'd love it if I didn't have to sew.....
    I don't sew mine! I make to make the sides of my fleece 8 inches long so that it can go up over the sides of my coro and tuck in between the coro and the grids. I cut a slit into the corners, 6 inches towards the center, and use that to tie the fleece to the grids to keep it from moving works like a charm! I'll draw up a diagram so you can better understand what I mean

  4. #4
    Cavy Slave Lagertha's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 01, 2015
    Location
    Rocklin, California
    Posts
    457
    Thanks
    122
    Thanks
    66 Rec'd/61 Posts
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Quoted
    49 Post(s)

    Re: New sewing?

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fleece.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	28.1 KB 
ID:	75337here's how I measure/cut my fleece! I just made a quick video showing how I tie it to the cage too! I'll have it up in a second (EDIT: You can either do 8 inches on the sides or 12, it's totally up to you! my coro is 6 inches high so I do about 8-10 inches usually )

  5. "Thank you, Lagertha, for this useful post," says:


  6. #5
    Cavy Slave Lagertha's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 01, 2015
    Location
    Rocklin, California
    Posts
    457
    Thanks
    122
    Thanks
    66 Rec'd/61 Posts
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Quoted
    49 Post(s)

    Re: New sewing?

    here's the video!

    sorry the filming is so shaky and I'm so quiet xD My husband is still asleep and I was filming one handed!

    (also excuse the mess in the background, that's my art studio xD and pardon the messy floor, it's vacuum day today!)

  7. "Thank you, Lagertha, for this useful post," says:


  8. #6
    Cavy Slave Nazgul's Avatar
    Joined
    Apr 29, 2015
    Location
    WA State
    Posts
    155
    Thanks
    132
    Thanks
    31 Rec'd/23 Posts
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quoted
    24 Post(s)

    Re: New sewing?

    I still had to use my old bedding system (fleece + uhaul taped on top of coroplast cut-outs) so when I got my new fleece, I had to trim it to fit those. I was later able to sew them together when I switched to pellets, but having long pieces of fleece that can simply hang over the edges of the coroplast is definitely a lot nicer. (using binder clips gets tiring..) I'm going to do that once I get some new fleece.

  9. "Thank you, Nazgul, for this useful post," says:


  10. #7
    Cavy Slave Lagertha's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 01, 2015
    Location
    Rocklin, California
    Posts
    457
    Thanks
    122
    Thanks
    66 Rec'd/61 Posts
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Quoted
    49 Post(s)

    Re: New sewing?

    Quote Originally Posted by Nazgul View Post
    I still had to use my old bedding system (fleece + uhaul taped on top of coroplast cut-outs) so when I got my new fleece, I had to trim it to fit those. I was later able to sew them together when I switched to pellets, but having long pieces of fleece that can simply hang over the edges of the coroplast is definitely a lot nicer. (using binder clips gets tiring..) I'm going to do that once I get some new fleece.
    My method you mean??? It definitely works great! I haven't had to use binder clips to hold my fleece in place EVER!

  11. "Thank you, Lagertha, for this useful post," says:


  12. #8
    Cavy Slave Nazgul's Avatar
    Joined
    Apr 29, 2015
    Location
    WA State
    Posts
    155
    Thanks
    132
    Thanks
    31 Rec'd/23 Posts
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quoted
    24 Post(s)

    Re: New sewing?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lagertha View Post
    My method you mean??? It definitely works great! I haven't had to use binder clips to hold my fleece in place EVER!
    Random question, but have you ever tried sweeping the fleece? I love the pellet + fleece combo but it makes sweeping the hay off my kitchen area's floor a real pain. It moves around too much so I can't get it all.

    I'm hoping it might be easier with just the long fleece draped over everything.

  13. #9
    Cavy Slave Lagertha's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 01, 2015
    Location
    Rocklin, California
    Posts
    457
    Thanks
    122
    Thanks
    66 Rec'd/61 Posts
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Quoted
    49 Post(s)

    Re: New sewing?

    Quote Originally Posted by Nazgul View Post
    Random question, but have you ever tried sweeping the fleece? I love the pellet + fleece combo but it makes sweeping the hay off my kitchen area's floor a real pain. It moves around too much so I can't get it all.

    I'm hoping it might be easier with just the long fleece draped over everything.
    I haven't tried sweeping the fleece, but I have found a method that works FANTASTICALLY at getting hay off the fleece! I use a paper towel and place it over the top of the stray hay and just pick it up with the paper towel It works really well! I get handfuls at a time! If I have time today I will make a short video with more detail on how I do it! My boys are notorious for dragging their hay ALL OVER THEIR CAGE and this is the best method I have found so far!

  14. "Thank you, Lagertha, for this useful post," say these 2 members:


  15. #10
    Cavy Slave Nazgul's Avatar
    Joined
    Apr 29, 2015
    Location
    WA State
    Posts
    155
    Thanks
    132
    Thanks
    31 Rec'd/23 Posts
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quoted
    24 Post(s)

    Re: New sewing?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lagertha View Post
    I haven't tried sweeping the fleece, but I have found a method that works FANTASTICALLY at getting hay off the fleece! I use a paper towel and place it over the top of the stray hay and just pick it up with the paper towel It works really well! I get handfuls at a time! If I have time today I will make a short video with more detail on how I do it! My boys are notorious for dragging their hay ALL OVER THEIR CAGE and this is the best method I have found so far!
    Haha. I know what you mean. My boys always make a mess of their kitchen. Pellets and hay everywhere!

    I'll be sure to try your method out. Thank you.

  16. #11
    Cavy Slave Lagertha's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 01, 2015
    Location
    Rocklin, California
    Posts
    457
    Thanks
    122
    Thanks
    66 Rec'd/61 Posts
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Quoted
    49 Post(s)

    Re: New sewing?

    Quote Originally Posted by Nazgul View Post
    Haha. I know what you mean. My boys always make a mess of their kitchen. Pellets and hay everywhere!

    I'll be sure to try your method out. Thank you.
    Haha right?! It must be a boy thing xD My girls keep it pretty clean hay wise, pellets though...Once they get to the bottom of the bowl they flip it
    Sure thing!

User Tag List

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •