Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Taking care of a runt, nutritional needs?

Piggie love

Cavy Slave
Guys, I would like to start out with this is not about a guinea pig. It is about a bunny

The only I have found so far, that care enough about animals on a forum, are all of you guys :)

My beautiful rabbit, Bunny, died yesterday of a malignant tumor. She was suffering and I had her put down. I was totally heartbroken, she was only a year old. I walked into the pet store to get my mind off of matters, holding the baby bunnies and piggies that they had, when one of the ladies who work there (I know them all very well, I'm in there weekly and I have a ton of pets) let me know they had a runt netherland dwarf rabbit that the mom decided to stop feeding. She is 6 weeks old, and the bunny now eats solid food, but is thin. Knowing that I love animals, she let me take her home.

I am very concerned about her health, and I definitely want to take care of her needs. Does anyone have experience with runts? What are general health concerns? I want her to live a full life, but she is so small....

lissie

Cavy Slave
I'm very sorry for your loss.

I don't have any answer for you about taking care of a runt bunny.

But please don't house the bunny with your guinea pig.

just8be8free

Cavy Slave
[MENTION=27862]Piggie love[/MENTION]
I am sorry for your loss.

I'm no expert on rabbits but I have a friend that owns them. So I asked her and here's what she told me:
•They need annual health checks
•They should be de-sexed (it calms them down)
•You should check your rabbits temperature and make sure it's 101-103 degrees Fahrenheit
•Majority of the diet should be grass and hay
•Rabbits should NOT be fed lettuce

Sorry I know it's not a lot but that's all the information she told me

J.Bosley

Cavy Slave
I'd be off to the vet for oxbow critical care and a milk replacement...

pigmommy89

Cavy Slave
A six week old bunny wouldn't need milk replacer. If she's eating she doesn't need Critical Care either. Feed her unlimited hay and pellets, and introduce veggies slowly. If she stops eating or has diarrhea get her to a vet immediately.

Sorry you lost your other bunny. I lost my last one back in May. She was almost 11 years old.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.