Thanks
    Thanks
    277 Rec'd/180 Posts
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Quoted
    187 Post(s)

New Cage

I'm going out of town for a week in September, and my pigs are going to stay at my boyfriends house. I'm going to order a new C&C to set up at his house while we are gone. My previous C&C at his house was borrowed to a rescue and never returned. Anyway, I have "almost" unlimited space. I think the room is about 12'x12' maybe 14'x14'. My current cage is 2x4, and they will be returning to that cage once I return from my trip. However, I was thinking since I have to space to make their cage larger maybe I should? What are others thoughts on this? We are contemplating using the cage in the future for more pigs (probably girls), and I prefer trios. But, I wasn't sure if the extra size would be overwhelming if I went with a 3x6 or 3x5 or if they would feel claustrophobic after being in a big space and returning to a 2x4.

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    523 Rec'd/459 Posts
    Mentioned
    199 Post(s)
    Quoted
    415 Post(s)

Re: New Cage

Can you upgrade the cage at your house too?

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner pinky's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks
    2,491 Rec'd/1,959 Posts
    Mentioned
    684 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1563 Post(s)

I have 3 large C&C cages with half bedding and half fleece. My pigs spend most of their time wherever their pigloos are and where there food is. Huge cages are nice but I don't think they care as long as they have enough room to run around if they feel like it.

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    523 Rec'd/459 Posts
    Mentioned
    199 Post(s)
    Quoted
    415 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pinky View Post
    Huge cages are nice but I don't think they care as long as they have enough room to run around if they feel like it.
    I have only noticed 2 out of my 6 pigs running around my 3x6. Both are the youngest, the older ones may run some but they do not do laps around the cage.

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    277 Rec'd/180 Posts
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Quoted
    187 Post(s)

I don't really have the room to make the cage bigger at my house. The cage must stay in my room, because I live with my grandparents on our horse farm. It's kind of a long and complex story, but to keep it short I am here to care for the horses, the dogs, the property, the house (it's a huge house) and my grandparents. My grandma hates animals in the house, but allows me to keep them in my room. My room is actually fairly large, but I have almost 30 years worth of "stuff" in there, and 10 years worth of college textbooks, notes and assignments (that's basically my whole closet). Moving out isn't really an option (it's a long story of family stuff/drama) and I debated moving them permanently to my boyfriends but I'd miss them. I already miss them when I stay at his house. Also, Clementine has lived here for 6 years so I think moving her at 6 to a new environment would be unfair.

ETA: After reading this it kind of sounds like my family is keeping me here. That's not totally the case, I love this house, the property and the horses. Moving into the middle of the city is unappealing and claustrophobic to me. My grandparents aren't like sick and old by any means, they just sometimes need someone to help out (like mowing when my grandma's pinched nerve is acting up). A lot of what they need help with is keeping the property up for my horses. It's also nice to not have to pay for housing since horses/life are so expensive.
    Last edited by ClemmyOddieIndy; 07-08-15 at 10:18 am.

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner pinky's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks
    2,491 Rec'd/1,959 Posts
    Mentioned
    684 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1563 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by lunarminx View Post
    I have only noticed 2 out of my 6 pigs running around my 3x6. Both are the youngest, the older ones may run some but they do not do laps around the cage.
    My 7 year olds don't run laps but my others do. I just think they need enough room to be able to get enough exercise. My vet said she thinks that's what leads to longer lives.

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    523 Rec'd/459 Posts
    Mentioned
    199 Post(s)
    Quoted
    415 Post(s)

ClemmyOddIndy, never feel you have to explain your living situation to anyone. I was just wondering if you could expand. If it makes you fell any better, with my back and mental/depression problems that came from the pain and not working since 2013. If I wasn't rooming with my sister and two sons, I would have been homeless(family would have taken me in), we have shared this apartment since 2009. I think more people/family should live together if they can get along, its saves everyone in the long run, its much better for grand kids if they are involved. It only took my oldest son two years of living with his age group to want to live more quietly again. He is not a 24/7 partier like some of his room mates/ high school friends. Luckily three of us love all the animals, my youngest does show a little attention to the pigs but they are his son's, so he keeps his mouth shut about them.

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    523 Rec'd/459 Posts
    Mentioned
    199 Post(s)
    Quoted
    415 Post(s)

I would do as big of a cage as you can at your boy friend's house. That would be no different then having them in a big pen for floor time except its at his house.

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    277 Rec'd/180 Posts
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Quoted
    187 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by lunarminx View Post
    ClemmyOddIndy, never feel you have to explain your living situation to anyone. I was just wondering if you could expand. If it makes you fell any better, with my back and mental/depression problems that came from the pain and not working since 2013. If I wasn't rooming with my sister and two sons, I would have been homeless(family would have taken me in), we have shared this apartment since 2009. I think more people/family should live together if they can get along, its saves everyone in the long run, its much better for grand kids if they are involved. It only took my oldest son two years of living with his age group to want to live more quietly again. He is not a 24/7 partier like some of his room mates/ high school friends. Luckily three of us love all the animals, my youngest does show a little attention to the pigs but they are his son's, so he keeps his mouth shut about them.
    For the most part people don't judge living with my grandparents, but I'm still always a little concerned about people's reaction when I explain. I'm a huge fan of the extended family living together, and I think that having a close extended family is beneficial for everyone involved. My mom actually lived here too and only moved out at 43 after her fiance refused to move into the house. My grandparents had 7 children and I don't think they'd know what to do if they were left alone in their house. It's actually really neat, because a lot of times my cousins, or aunts/uncles come to stay for various reasons (even those who live nearby) and there is something "warm" about a full house. :-)

I'm sorry you've been having health problems. It's frustrating when your body doesn't want to cooperate with what you want to do.

User Tag List