Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Guinea pigs in your room, GOOD IDEA? Or not?

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Re: Guinea pigs in your room, GOOD IDEA? Or not?

Quote Originally Posted by GuineaPiggies7 View Post
    I 100% want my piggies in my room. But my dad wants to think about it and i dont blame him. It's his house. But what I was thinking to do is put a 3X4 Or 2X5 In the corner of my room. And put a rug/mat THEN ontop of that, a pice of lino then of course the C&C cage. What are the pros and cons of keeping them in your room? @Lagertha @aterriblefate

Pros: More interaction if you spend a lot of time in your room, protection from other pets and small visitors, a cage as big as you like, more monitoring, established routines of when you'll be in your room, less scary loud noises.

Cons: light sleepers may have trouble sleeping, the smell, less interaction from family members, hay ALL OVER the carpet.

The only two things I've had an issue with are the smell and the hay problem. The smell is only a problem if you go close to a week without changing their bedding (if using fleece). And the hay all over the carpet is the main problem for me, because my dad is a slob and when he feeds them it gets all over my CARPET.

Best of luck to you and your piggies! I really do recommend pigs in your room if that means they will get a bigger cage and more monitoring.

Thanks
    Thanks
    7,315 Rec'd/5,830 Posts
    Mentioned
    2041 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3904 Post(s)

I merged these threads. Please do NOT start multiple threads on the same topic.

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    66 Rec'd/57 Posts
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Quoted
    54 Post(s)

I, too, have been having trouble with deciding if we should keep my Bob downstairs in our living room, or upstairs in the largest bedroom...

I think part of me really wants him to stay downstairs, where we are most of the day and where we should be (in theory) able to interact with him more and spend time with him. But it's just not the case. We have two small dogs and three cats in addition to the guinea pig who I am caring for this summer. The cats are fabulous and don't bother him, and the youngest dog Sophie is very good and quiet, but she tries to eat his hay through the grids and barks really loudly if he doesn't finish his vegetables fast enough. She even developed a liking for bell peppers because she gets so upset whenever Bob gets veggies but she can't. That's fine though--the real trouble is the pomeranian, Maximus. He is very small, even though he is fully grown and over 4 years old, but he is VERY demanding, VERY noisy, and VERY protective. He goes BALLISTIC every single morning when Bob wheeks for his vegetables (at around 5:30-6 am, which of course rips me from sleep when I hear Max SCREAMING, and Bob wheeking and my stepdad repeating "no" over and over and over again.) which, to an extent, I can tolerate. Sure, if it means Bob is happier downstairs. Trouble is, Maximus gets really protective of Bob. That means none of the cats can go near the cage, and if Bob makes a single peep Max has to scream and bark bloody murder because OH MY GOD THE SMALL FUZZY THING IS DYING EVERYONE PANIC because he doesn't understand wheek = happy, scream = where are my peppers. So any noise Bob makes--be it because he's happy and running laps or just wheeking around because he wants to be pet, Max has to be there screaming his head off. It's beyond annoying. It's to the point where I can't even go over to pet Bob because Max is going crazy, which means Bob gets less and less attention because I have to deal with Max freaking out. He gets little to no floor time because of the dogs, and when he does it's only for a half an hour on the couch after everyone (and the dogs) go to bed.

So about a week ago, my stepdad said I can move the cage upstairs to the boys' room (technically the very large master bedroom where my two stepbrothers and actual brother sleep, but one is out to college, the other 2 are only here ocassionally so there's a lot of free space) so he can have some peace from the dogs. I agreed, and now he's in the farthest end of the room where it's bright but not in direct sunlight, with plenty of space to run around during floor time. It's not ideal as he is farther away from the action, so to speak, but I go up for an hour or two of floor time every day and spend time with him in the morning when I give him his vegetables. My brother also pets and talks to him when he's here (almost every day now that it's and his dad works) and he likes to sit with Bob on the floor to watch youtube videos with him. Bob can finally wheek and run around without Max going crazy, and while I do regret that he can't be downstairs with us, I think he gets more attention upstairs than he did downstairs, ironically. I still have mixed feelings though I hope I made the right decision...I think we're going to keep him there for the time being, but I wanted second opinion...did I make the right choice?

(also sorry for hijaking the post, but as bpatters said I didn't want to make a seperate thread for the same topic, and it's good to talk about things like this. I know it's important to keep guinea pigs in the center of where everyone is, but are there exceptions to that rule, or is there another way? Just food for thought.)

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner pinky's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks
    2,491 Rec'd/1,959 Posts
    Mentioned
    684 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1563 Post(s)

What size cage do you have and what size are you going to expand it to? Why would a larger cage be limited to your room?

User Tag List