Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Lump HUGE Tennis-Ball sized lump on under belly..

• Thread starter Marina Taylor S
  • Start date

Marina Taylor S

Cavy Gazer
guinea 2.jpgguinea.jpg
I'm not sure how long this has been here, but I've just recently discovered this tennis-ball sized lump on my female guinea pig's underbelly. Has anyone ever seen something this big? I looked up ''guinea pig lump on stomach'' but everything that came up was all very small lumps, nothing like this. I can literally grab it with my hand. There are no cuts or openings on the bump, so it wasn't caused by anything of that sort.
Now one thing is that she does not seem in pain. She is eating, drinking, active, pooping solid, and overall seems healthy... STILL, this bump is unusual.. I cannot take her to the vet until my next paycheck...... Until then, I want to know what I can. Can anyone give me some information about this? The more the better!!!!

Thank you. - <3 Marina & Toffee.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
She needs a vet, now, even if you have to arrange to borrow the money to take her. It could be an ovarian cyst which could rupture and kill her, it could be a hernia which could strangulate and kill her, it could be tumor that's impinging on her stomach/intestines, or it could be a benign cyst. There's no way to know without an examination by a good exotic vet. If you don't already have an exotic vet, post where you are (city/state only, not your address), and we'll see if we can help you find one.

CavyMama

Cavy Slave
That is one good sized tumor. It definitely didn't appear overnight. Do you handle her on a daily basis? The vet will likely aspirate it. It could be a simple lipoma, in which case, it should pull away from tissues easily and be removed. If you pull on it gently, does it feel like it is attached securely?

Marina Taylor S

Cavy Gazer
Granada Hills (Near Northridge), CAlifornia

Marina Taylor S

Cavy Gazer
It does feel like it's attached. I didn't take her out of her cage for about 4 days.

Marina Taylor S

Cavy Gazer
I am currently unsure if it is all solid tissue, or if it is skin that's stretched & filled with something. (air, pus, blood, gas, etc?)

Last edited by a moderator:

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Here is a list of vets in your area: (broken link removed).

There's also a searchable database of vets at the Guinea Pig Zone. Click on the vets tab at the top of this page, and search for vets near Northridge.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I am currently unsure if it is all solid tissue, or if it is skin that's stretched & filled with something. (air, pus, blood, gas, etc?)

There is no way for us to know that. But it doesn't really matter what's in it at this point. The immediate problem is the size and the possibility that it might rupture into her abdomen. She really really needs to see a vet for an evaluation, like tomorrow morning.

But don't bother taking her to a regular small animal vet. They see mainly dogs and cats, and get little or no education and training in caring for exotic pets. You'll just waste time and money if you do.

Marina Taylor S

Cavy Gazer
I called some exotic vets, some don't see guinea pigs at all, but the one I could get ahold of that does can't see us until monday morning. I understand the need for her to be seen. Believe me, I wanted to get her in immediately when I saw it, but vets keep turning me down or referring me to places 5 hours away. I'm worried, so I'm trying. I found 3 places near me, but they're all closed until the morning. I can't even call them right now... will update on this as soon as possible...

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Nearly all exotic vets see guinea pigs. It's the honest small animal (read dog and cat) vets that don't see them, because they admit they're not qualified. The other small animal vets will mostly tell you they can treat them, but they just don't have the education and training necessary.

Check the ones on those lists. Or, there are some rescues in Los Angeles. You could call them and ask who they use. This is Los Angeles Guinea Pig Rescue: www.laguineapigrescue.com, and Orange County Cavy Haven is www.cavyhaven.org.

Keep us posted on how she's doing.

ClemmyOddieIndy

Cavy Slave
My guinea pig had a 1lb tumor in her uterus that was removed successfully (along with her uterus and one of her ovaries). She had a thread on GuineaLynx if you search "Guinea Pig with Mass" on GuineaLynx it's on the 6th page (although its the 2nd from the bottom, so it might be on the 7th page by the time you search) of the search results. I have the same user name on both sites ClemmyOddieIndy.

Marina Taylor S

Cavy Gazer
I sent you a personal message, Clemmy.

lunarminx

Cavy Slave
Good luck with your piggy, that is a horrible size mass.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.