Thanks
    Thanks
    100 Rec'd/73 Posts
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Quoted
    47 Post(s)

Re: Going mostly pellet free

In the neighborhood that I live in my parents don't allow me to babysit, housesit, or petsit...... I am lucky that I can ride the bus by myself every once and a while! My parents won't allow me to do any of that stuff even if it isn't in my neighborhood.... At least I can get a job in a year and a half..

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    91 Rec'd/86 Posts
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quoted
    81 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Guinepig View Post
    I have been using the whole vet thing in all my guinea pig arguments. right now my parents are talking about the pellets.

Well pellets have a lot to do with bladder stones. The ones you use probably contain alfalfa, which has way to much calcium for your guinea pigs. And that leads to the vet. So basically everything in your guinea pigs diet has a very important role in bladder stones. Even the hay, and treats, and water. When I convinced my parents it was a little tricky. But all in all, everyone is all good! Show them the price difference as well, that may help you with convincing

Thanks
    Thanks
    100 Rec'd/73 Posts
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Quoted
    47 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Beatrix187 View Post
    Well pellets have a lot to do with bladder stones. The ones you use probably contain alfalfa, which has way to much calcium for your guinea pigs. And that leads to the vet. So basically everything in your guinea pigs diet has a very important role in bladder stones. Even the hay, and treats, and water. When I convinced my parents it was a little tricky. But all in all, everyone is all good! Show them the price difference as well, that may help you with convincing
    I took the total cost (50lbs of pellets and including shipping) and divided by 12 and the total would be about 7 dollars per month

Thanks
    Thanks
    7,333 Rec'd/5,844 Posts
    Mentioned
    2051 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3927 Post(s)

Reverse osmosis water is less than $1 per gallon at your local grocery store if you bring in your own container (old gallon milk jug).

And unless you've got a whole big herd of pigs, for heaven's sake, don't buy 50 pounds of pellets. They'll go stale long before your pigs can eat them. Ten pounds of pellets should last your pigs at least six months.

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    21 Rec'd/19 Posts
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quoted
    37 Post(s)

That is true - in our city you can refill your own containers of water for 35 cents a gallon from the machines. This is the water I drink and cook with, and the one I give my piggies. That is true, that it is acidic (not by taste,but by ph), but if you add a drop of any fruit/veggie like lemon juice, it becomes alkaline. I think the same would be with distilled water. Distilled water removes minerals from the body, but not organic type, which we do not want to have in our bodies anyway, because it clogs our arteries, joints, makes stones and generally wrecks havoc.
    Also stones tend to form,when we do not get enough magnesium, because calcium can't be utilized properly without it.
    "If we consume too much calcium without sufficient magnesium," according to Dean, "not only will we create stress within the body but the excess calcium won't be utilized correctly and may become toxic. Magnesium keeps calcium dissolved in the blood. Too much calcium and too little magnesium can cause some forms of arthritis, kidney stones, osteoporosis and calcification of the arteries, leading to heart attack and cardiovascular disease(5). " I took this quote from here:
    http://deliciousliving.com/blog/time...agnesium-ratio
    Good forms of magnesium (donot take cheap magnesium oxide, I use glycinate and malate), even prevent migraines and variety of cramps. Not sure, how we couldfeed magnesium to piggies,and which form is best to them, butmost likely similar as to humans in smaller amounts. Or just find out which plants have good amounts of magnesium.

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    21 Rec'd/19 Posts
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quoted
    37 Post(s)

Oops, forgot to say, that best ratio calcium to magnesium is probably 1 to 1, and no higher than 2 to 1. I wonder what ratio it is in the pellets and what forms of magnesium and calcium are used in them?

Thanks
    Thanks
    7,333 Rec'd/5,844 Posts
    Mentioned
    2051 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3927 Post(s)

if you add a drop of any fruit/veggie like lemon juice, it becomes alkaline
    No, it doesn't. Fruit juices are acidic, not alkaline. If you add lemon juice, it just becomes even more acidic because of the citric acid in it.

Distilled water removes minerals from the body, but not organic type, which we do not want to have in our bodies anyway
    It removes any sort of molecules that are small enough to pass through a membrane, whether organic or inorganic. Google "diffusion through a semi-permeable membrane" if you want more info. Do NOT use distilled water with your pigs.

@Easefirst, many processes are totally different for herbivores than for carnivores, and the advice that applies to one may not apply to the other. Please be sure that your advice is applicable to guinea pigs before posting it. Thanks.

8. "Thank you, bpatters, for this useful post," says:

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    21 Rec'd/19 Posts
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quoted
    37 Post(s)

Well, I measured distilled water with ph strips before and after adding lemon juice myself. You are mixing acid taste with ph acidity. I am talking about fresh juices,not bottled however as those are totally different.
    Can't say much about other two, and it wasn't advice, but pondering and questioning. I am not using distilled water with my pigs simply because it is more convenient for me to use refillable water, and it is very close to being distilled -taste is almost indentical, and lots of bottled water has taste similar to tap. Paul Bragg, who was a health crusader drank only distilled water and he was very healthy and athletic. So does Matt Monarch,who is a very health conscious person. The truth is about this, that noone probably knows. My feeling is, that distilled water with some veggie green matter added is good.
    Guinea pigs and humans react to lots of subtances in similar ways, that's why they are used as research animals, aren't they? Again, I never accept something fully just because experts (and how to do define with surety what expert is in the first place?) said that. I always question. Ideas expand and rules contract. People who always folow rules without ever questioning them to not advance world to a better place, which is fine of course. They keep balance a bit. There are enough rebels who do anway.

Thanks
    Thanks
    100 Rec'd/73 Posts
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Quoted
    47 Post(s)

Ok. So just got back. Me and my dad went to petsmart and got some oxbow cavy cuisine. My dad says if I can make it last he can keep getting it. So would 1 cup of pellets be Ok for my 3 pigs per day? I plan on replacing some of their daily pellets with veggies to make the pellets last longer.

Thanks
    Thanks
    61 Rec'd/52 Posts
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)

You want 1/8 cup per pig per day (unless they're under 6 months or pregnant/nursing, then unlimited pellets, but I know you've said yours are older boars) so less than half a cup per day for all the piggies. It might be better to give it in two servings, so they don't eat them all at once. They don't need a lot of pellets, just enough to get all the trace minerals they aren't getting in hay and veggies.

12. "Thank you, PandaPiggle, for this useful post," says:

Thanks
    Thanks
    7,333 Rec'd/5,844 Posts
    Mentioned
    2051 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3927 Post(s)

No more than 3/8 of a cup of pellets for all three pigs. And ditto @pandapiggie -- give them in two servings.

14. "Thank you, bpatters, for this useful post," says:

Thanks
    Thanks
    100 Rec'd/73 Posts
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Quoted
    47 Post(s)

kk. Thanks @bpatters and @pandapiggie

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner pinky's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks
    2,491 Rec'd/1,959 Posts
    Mentioned
    684 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1563 Post(s)

After having had two guinea pigs with stones about 8 years ago, I switched to mostly distilled water. Occasionally, they'll get bottled water with no added minerals but mostly distilled. I read that distilled is not a problem because most of the minerals we take in are from food and not the water and unless there are digestive issues, distilled water is safe. I should point out, I had one guinea pig live to be 9.5 years old and currently have two 7 years olds I've owned for most of their lives. Most of my guinea pigs have lived very long lives. I understand that distilled water is not safe for fish because they need the minerals in the water to live but that's different than mammals.

http://chemistry.about.com/od/waterc...lled-Water.htm
    http://www.drdavidwilliams.com/distilled-water/

User Tag List