Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Babies in the great PLAY PENNED outdoors? What age?

Lagertha

Cavy Slave
I live in California where we are in a REALLY bad (understatement) drought. It has been hot as habaneros outside (the highest was 120 fahrenheit just yesterday, 110 in the shade!) but we are supposed to be expecting cooler weather (in the high 80's hopefully) later this week.

I have two 2 week old babies (and mom) and would LOVE to give them a chance to play in their pen outside (with an army of frozen water bottles) before the heat climbs again and all the grass dries out and dies.

My question is: how old do babies need to be before they can have outdoor time? I have a fully baby-proofed play pen that they have floor time in so I was just curious to know if there is a certain age for when they can explore outside in the safety of their pen :)

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
The high 80s is too hot for them. They can get heat stroke in the mid-eighties, lower if they've got a lot of hair.

I don't know that there's a specified age for putting them outside. You have to consider that fresh grass can upset their digestive systems and cause diarrhea. I don't think I'd put them out until about six weeks of age. Someone else may weigh in with other ideas.

Lagertha

Cavy Slave
That what I thought! I guess I'll just have to wait for fall time to come around :/

and that's what I figured with age too but I wasn't sure! Thank you :)

Icarus_Hermes

Cavy Slave
If you don't want to wait until fall, I've found that growing wheatgrass indoors on a tray is very easy. Then when the babies are old enough, you could put the tray in the play pen inside and let them enjoy it! It’s not the same as outside time, but since I don't have a yard, it's the closest I have, and my boys go nuts! Search the forum, there are multiple posts with wheatgrass growing tips.

(As a fellow Californian, can the heat wave please end already?!?!)

Lagertha

Cavy Slave
I'm definitely going to have to start that [MENTION=31988]Icarus_Hermes[/MENTION]! I'm already growing my own mint, mandarin tree, and meyer lemon tree for me! I may as well start some wheat grass for them :D

GOD RIGHT?! Even my car is having a hard time handling the excessive heat!

By the way, I have a piggie named Ikarus too :D but spelt with a K instead of a C :)

Icarus_Hermes

Cavy Slave
It's good name! Although my family likes calling him Icky for short instead. Ugh!

Lagertha

Cavy Slave
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.