Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Chat Getting back into drawing

ClicknCavy

Cavy Slave
Thanks to the thread https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/threads/107916-Let-me-draw-your-guinea-pigs! that [MENTION=8171]wombat[/MENTION] had made, I decided to try to get back into art.

Yesterday afternoon I finally sat down a drew a picture!

GSDs.jpg

I think I'll try more different pictures later today actually. Maybe I'll try my guinea pigs Fiona and Toora-Loora next!

SquigglyPigs

Cavy Slave
That looks great! I wish I could draw fur! haha

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
Beautiful! You have real talent.

It feels good to get back into drawing, doesn't it? I need to set aside some time to do it as well.

pinky

Cavy Slave
I've always felt that drawing was good for the soul. My husband and I both have Bachelor of Fine Art degrees. He's been able to use it in his career, but unfortunately, I haven't in mine so I use my "artistic license" when I garden. I hope to get back to it once I retire.

Love the drawing. Working in pencil was always my favorite thing.

wombats

Cavy Slave
OH MY GOODNESS
That's fantastic!! Your sense of animal anatomy and muscle tone is very impressive...they look so realistic and the shading is top-notch. :)

I'm really glad that my own drawings have gotten you back into drawing as well...it's a real treat to see other people's art, and even better when my own inspires others!

ClicknCavy

Cavy Slave
Thanks for all the compliments, everyone!

Getting back into drawing is a lot harder than I realized, lol. I think I'll try to focus on taking a really cute picture of my girls tonight so I can draw them. I want to draw them together doing something with me or my boyfriend. Here's a picture of Fiona that shows an example of the sheer level of cuteness they are capable of. I actually haven't drawn a guinea pig before! Of course, my favorite to draw are dogs. lol.

DSC07910.jpg

BaconAndEggs

Cavy Slave
It's a beautiful picture! I love drawing, but I'm not very good at it. Would you mind giving me private lessons? ��

ClicknCavy

Cavy Slave
This is my first guinea pig drawing! It is really sketchy because I want to see if I can get the feel for making guinea pigs before I go and commit a lot of time on a drawing. The reference picture I used was Toora-Loora was sitting on Josh's lap, so that's why her hind feet are missing. I think I'll do more drawings later. It took awhile to find the time because I was busy with stuff, but it was nice to draw some.

0713151418b.jpg

I don't think I can give lessons, as I'm just a hobbyist, but I can give tips: Find a picture to draw from (reference picture) and look at it a lot while drawing. Also, start very, very light first and gradually add values. Also... don't be afraid of going super dark. The difference between my sketch above and more finished works is basically how much time I spend pushing the values and making darks darker and making the shading more smooth. Here's an example:

Horse.jpg

Darling

Cavy Slave
These are wonderful!

ClicknCavy

Cavy Slave
Thanks! I gave the drawing of the two German Shepherd Dogs (one adult and one puppy) to my manager as a gift. I just quit that job and am going into a new one, where I'll finally be doing what I love (dog training). She said she has framed it and it hangs in her house. I'm going to save up for colored pencils so I can experiment with how to use them. Drawing like this is pretty recent for me. I only started to draw like this for the last 2 years or so and have never tried colored pencils in this style.

GiuneaPigLover

Cavy Slave
Great drawings! You inspire me to get back into drawing myself. Great job!

wombats

Cavy Slave
Holy crap if you get colored pencils and like the control of normal pencils you will LOVE them! Colored pencils are life, they're my favorite medium, and my better examples on my art thread were in colored pencil. As an early investment, you can't beat the 24 tin of prismacolor softcore colored pencils. You get all the basic colors, in 1-2 shades each (red, orange, yellow, blue, green, purple) and some neutrals (two browns, black, white, but NO gray for some reason), and a few misc. tints/shades like pink, navy blue, a couple dark greens, a weird but pretty lavender color...overall a nice starting set for around $25. They're very expensive, that's for sure, but they lay down color like smooth butter, but give enough control for tiny little details, and layer BEAUTIFULY...with practice, you can layer so many colors to get tons of depth and dimension to any drawing.

I've had my 24 set for about 5 years now and have used them very heavily, but to this day I've only had to replace one. I now have a giant 132 tin set and it's absolutely magical...I think it's well over $200 retail price. Funilly enough I told her all I want for my 16th birthday are colored pencils; don't waste your money too much, I just want a 42 tin, MAYBE a 72 if you think that's not too much....and lo and behold she gets me the 132. She even told me she was going to get the 200+ but they were out of stock. I wanted to cry. My mom may be stubborn sometimes (all the time) but the fact that she was willing to spend that much on me meant the world to me. :)

But yea, long story short, COMPLETELY worth the money. If you take care of them, they'll last decades and the big tins come with so many fantastic shades of every color under the sun...I literally have over a dozen shades of blue from my big tin alone, and buttloads of gray in warm, cool, and french varieties. It's amazing, and I definitely recommend it. A word of warning though: NEVER, and I mean EVER put white over black/gray colored pencil. It will turn blue and you will cry and be very upset that you turned an almost perfect drawing bright blue with one tiny stroke of white.

(oh and as I side note, I haven't forgotten about the drawing requests everyone made...everything's just spiralling downhill recently as I now have two months to read 3 500+ page books, work 30 hours taking care of tiny donkeys, write two 3 page essays, finish a 5+ minute flash animation all by myself, and deal with everyday panic and hustle and bustle. @_@ just when you think everything's goin' good, it all goes crazy)

ClicknCavy

Cavy Slave
Thanks [MENTION=35201]wombats[/MENTION] !

I still need to save up my money for the colored pencils. There are other things that I need to get first, but I have already did the lines for a Saluki drawing. I think my proportions have improved a lot. I've worked with color before (acrylic paint). I think colored pencil will be very different and I hope I get the hang of it quickly so my first drawing in colored pencils won't look too terrible.

SonicexA

Cavy Slave
Those drawings are great! I love your drawing of the German Shepherds, ClicknCavy!
I myself am an amateur drawer but I prefer to draw cartoony stuff like this:
Pirate Rat lazyfinish.jpg

(It's a pirate rat)
It's not great but I enjoy drawing and that's all that matters, right? This I did on my computer.
If you have any tips I would love to hear them!

MonicaTresden

Cavy Gazer
I also love to draw. very often I go out to the park not only to get some fresh air, but also to draw. Sketches can be created literally at once, because all nature surprises me and I really want to display it in my notebook https://onplanners.com/notebooks/best-notebooks-for-designers for creativity. What do you like to draw ??

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.