Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • If you need a specific country prefix that isn't listed, please contact the staff.

Canada Looking to Adopt a Male Skinny Pig in Southern Ontario!

J.Bosley

Cavy Slave
Hey all!
Thought I would give this a try before searching on Kijiji... I am looking to adopt a friendly Male Skinny Pig of any age. He will be slowly introduced to my rescued boys in time. Wanting a friendly piggy to help them learn that people are friendly! And because I have massive soft spot for Skinny Pigs.

I am located in Brantford, near Hamilton, but am willing to drive a ways or even meet up if possible! Willing to pay a small adoption fee if need be. He will have an awesome home! Going to be building a nice, huge, C&C cage within the next few weeks.

Just private message me here or post on this if you have a male Skinny Pig that needs a home.

sallyvh

Cavy Slave
You may have a bit of a wait for a skinny pig, they do go up for adoption but not very often.

Check out piggles guinea pig rescue:
(broken link removed)
I don't see any skinnies available with them but if you contact them and let them know you're interested in a male skinny then they can keep their eyes out for you.

Also check out the Toronto Humane Society, they generally have a bunch of pigs available and I have seen skinnies there from time to time.

I work at the Hamilton/Burlington SPCA so I'll keep a watch there and see if one comes in. I know there were a few last year. We currently have the cutest peruvian boy who I wish I could take home but I'm at my limit with 4 pigs :(

J.Bosley

Cavy Slave
@sallyvh thanks for all the ideas!!! I don't mind waiting, or even taking in a guinea pig if it's personality is what I am looking for. What's the personality on the fella you like??

sallyvh

Cavy Slave
He's very sweet and calm. My SPCA is a great place but unfortunately they don't know/do a lot with the small animals. I try and help out there as much as I can and give the adoption ladies info but they don't really care/listen.

He came in with a cage mate who was adopted out while he was left behind. He's been hiding a fair bit since his old cage mate was adopted but he's still very sweet. I had him out of his cage for a while yesterday and was walking around with him, he was calm the entire time and very nice! I already have 4 sows so I can't just bring a boy home, I would have to neuter him and I don't have the space right now to expand my cages to accomodate a trio. I just want him to go to a nice home.

I was looking on Kijiji and here is someone rehoming an 8 month old male skinny in Burlington https://www.kijiji.ca/v-other-pets/...-pig/1080940570?mobile=false&siteLocale=en_CA

J.Bosley

Cavy Slave
@sallyvh what's the name of him? I'd like to check him out on the website! Is it hard to adopt from there? I know the Brantford SPCA is very easy! But unfortunately they don't have any guinea pigs right now.

I will also look into that skinny! Too cute. And in such a small cage... Thanks a ton. Guess I should check out kijiji after all

sallyvh

Cavy Slave
Here's the link to his page, they unfortunately don't have any photos of him but he has very long hair and is grey agouti and white. I'm not back in until Monday but if you're interested I could try and get photos of him. Or you could pop in for a visit there during the week if you're interested just to check him out.

https://hbspca.com/adopt/small/wally/28183479/#.VZQD9KRZTqA

It's very easy. They have a small adoption form, it would probably take 5-10 minutes to do all the paperwork and then you can walk out of there with him. There isn't much of a screening process for small animals and it's very quick. The shelter is mainly cats and dogs so there isn't a real focus on the little guys.

J.Bosley

Cavy Slave
@sallyvh he sounds adorable! I might have to come check him out... Hopefully he will be there by next pay day! July 9th. Then I'll come take a peek and see if I'm interested in adopting him. Sounds like he would appreciate having a friend again too.

sallyvh

Cavy Slave
Hopefully he's still there and it works out! I would love to know he went to an awesome home :)

The adoption fee is either $21 or $22 dollars and if you need a temporary space for him before you build your C&C I believe they can give you the cage he is in for free.

I wish I was in the position to adopt him but I really can't but it would be so nice to see him go to a great home :)

J.Bosley

Cavy Slave
@sallyvh oh great! I'd definitely take the cage for now. My boys keep escaping the dog kennel they are in haha... So might switch him into the dog kennel and my current boys into his cage haha! I will definitely keep you updated. And thanks for your help!!! As long as he is people friendly I would take him for sure.

sallyvh

Cavy Slave
Perfect! He seemed pretty relaxed with me holding him so hopefully he warms up with you! I hope that he works out for you!

J.Bosley

Cavy Slave
@sallyvh thanks! I'm sure he would fit in. I'm only looking for a friendlier piggy because my current two are so, so skittish.

sallyvh

Cavy Slave
[MENTION=31349]J.Bosley[/MENTION] Here are a couple photos of Wally that they updated on the website, he's the cutest thing!

wally1.jpg

wally2.jpg

J.Bosley

Cavy Slave

J.Bosley

Cavy Slave
This might be a silly question, and hopefully someone notices it! But are Skinnt Pigs friendlier than Guinea Pigs?...

sallyvh

Cavy Slave
I would say no. Pig personality solely depends on the pig and doesn't really have anything to do with their coat. That's just my opinion though! I know I have 2 short hairs with completely different personalities and two abyssinians who are very different.

J.Bosley

Cavy Slave
@sallyvh thanks! I assumed it would be based on the individual pig. A quick question, for that cute piggy Wally, what kind of maintenance would he need for his coat?

sallyvh

Cavy Slave
He would require some regular trims. Probably biweekly bum trims to keep his coat clean amd then some trimming of his skirts and sides. It would depend on how short you want him though, you could cut him fairly short with clippers and his maintenance would be significantly reduced or you could keep him long with more regular trims.

J.Bosley

Cavy Slave
He would require some regular trims. Probably biweekly bum trims to keep his coat clean amd then some trimming of his skirts and sides. It would depend on how short you want him though, you could cut him fairly short with clippers and his maintenance would be significantly reduced or you could keep him long with more regular trims.

Thanks! Still hoping he's there once I can taken him... Or at least that he gets an amazing home

sallyvh

Cavy Slave
Same here! I've been trying real hard to think if I could possibly take him in but it's just not possible for me. My two pairs of sows also get along really well and I don't want to risk their relationships.

Hopefully you can take him in or of not I really hope a responsible owner can adopt him.

CavyMama

Cavy Slave
He will be slowly introduced to my rescued boys in time.

Intros should be one & done. Introducing, then separating, then introducing then separating (i.e. slow intro) is very stressful for pigs. They have to start over establishing dominance each time they are introduced. It should be done one time when you have a good amount of time (at least 1 hour - ideally more) to observe.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.