Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 21

Thread: two girls or boy and girl?

  1. #1
    Cavy Slave robinmosborne's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 27, 2015
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    25
    Thanks
    2
    Thanks
    1 Rec'd/1 Post
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

    two girls or boy and girl?

    We got what we thought were two femail guinea pigs a little over a week ago. We just saw one of them mount the other. Could one of these actually be a boy? We got them from a rescue so I trusted what we were told. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Collage 2015-07-01 00_20_03.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	169.3 KB 
ID:	75090

  2. #2
    Cavy Star Fay's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 06, 2006
    Location
    California
    Posts
    1,617
    Thanks
    188
    Thanks
    271 Rec'd/181 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    84 Post(s)

    Re: two girls or boy and girl?

    They both look like female to me but it's hard to tell from the picture so I'm not a 100% certain, if you could post some clearer pictures that would help. I will say that mounting is normal dominance behavior, including between females. The dominant female might try to mount the submissive female which is perfectly normal.

  3. #3
    Cavy Slave robinmosborne's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 27, 2015
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    25
    Thanks
    2
    Thanks
    1 Rec'd/1 Post
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

    Re: two girls or boy and girl?

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20150701_004226.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	66.1 KB 
ID:	75092

    This is Patches

  4. #4
    Cavy Slave robinmosborne's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 27, 2015
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    25
    Thanks
    2
    Thanks
    1 Rec'd/1 Post
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

    Re: two girls or boy and girl?

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20150701_004253.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	81.3 KB 
ID:	75093

    This is Cuddles

  5. #5
    Cavy Slave robinmosborne's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 27, 2015
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    25
    Thanks
    2
    Thanks
    1 Rec'd/1 Post
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

    Re: two girls or boy and girl?

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20150701_005703.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	70.5 KB 
ID:	75094

    Another of Patches

  6. #6
    Cavy Slave robinmosborne's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 27, 2015
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    25
    Thanks
    2
    Thanks
    1 Rec'd/1 Post
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

    Re: two girls or boy and girl?

    Oh and these close ups are posting sideways for some reason

  7. #7
    Cavy Slave Soecara's Avatar
    Joined
    Aug 18, 2012
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    1,818
    Thanks
    4
    Thanks
    505 Rec'd/426 Posts
    Mentioned
    160 Post(s)
    Quoted
    243 Post(s)

    Re: two girls or boy and girl?

    They both appear female. Perhaps the one doing the mounting is in heat?

  8. #8
    Cavy Slave robinmosborne's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 27, 2015
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    25
    Thanks
    2
    Thanks
    1 Rec'd/1 Post
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

    Re: two girls or boy and girl?

    Could be, patches has been very vocal the last day or two

  9. #9
    Cavy Slave Oreocookies123's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 12, 2015
    Location
    Cypress, TX
    Posts
    33
    Thanks
    6
    Thanks
    1 Rec'd/1 Post
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

    Re: two girls or boy and girl?

    Hello, and welcome to the forums!☺It is perfectly normal for your cavies to mount each other when you first introduce them. It is a display of dominance, to show the other cavy who is in charge. It lasts usually a couple weeks, but if it turns physical and the cavies start biting, you should separate them. This display of dominance happens with both sexes, it is just nature in action. Hope this helps!����

  10. #10
    Cavy Slave robinmosborne's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 27, 2015
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    25
    Thanks
    2
    Thanks
    1 Rec'd/1 Post
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

    Re: two girls or boy and girl?

    What about when they have been together for a long time. Its my understanding that these two have been together for over a year.

  11. #11
    Cavy Slave ClicknCavy's Avatar
    Joined
    Mar 16, 2015
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    134
    Blog Entries
    1
    Thanks
    8
    Thanks
    67 Rec'd/44 Posts
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quoted
    18 Post(s)

    Re: two girls or boy and girl?

    My girls get humpy when they are in heat :) Fiona is the worst offender. They are just being hormonal. The most we do to help them through is make sure there are enough hidies and escape routes for whoever is not in heat and give them extra exercise. We do extra trick training. Even though, while in heat, they have less focus and are more distractable, the training does help them settle. After they are both out of heat, they are the best of friends again.

  12. #12
    Cavy Slave robinmosborne's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 27, 2015
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    25
    Thanks
    2
    Thanks
    1 Rec'd/1 Post
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

    Re: two girls or boy and girl?

    Trick training?

    Quote Originally Posted by ClicknCavy View Post
    My girls get humpy when they are in heat :) Fiona is the worst offender. They are just being hormonal. The most we do to help them through is make sure there are enough hidies and escape routes for whoever is not in heat and give them extra exercise. We do extra trick training. Even though, while in heat, they have less focus and are more distractable, the training does help them settle. After they are both out of heat, they are the best of friends again.

  13. #13
    Moderator foggycreekcavy's Avatar
    Joined
    Oct 04, 2009
    Location
    Auburn, WA
    Posts
    6,154
    Thanks
    176
    Thanks
    1,243 Rec'd/995 Posts
    Mentioned
    393 Post(s)
    Quoted
    772 Post(s)

    Re: two girls or boy and girl?

    Both females.

    How old are they? Excessive hormonal behavior can be a sign of ovarian cysts.

  14. #14
    Cavy Slave robinmosborne's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 27, 2015
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    25
    Thanks
    2
    Thanks
    1 Rec'd/1 Post
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

    Re: two girls or boy and girl?

    Quote Originally Posted by foggycreekcavy View Post
    Both females.

    How old are they? Excessive hormonal behavior can be a sign of ovarian cysts.
    I was told about 1 1/2 - 2 years old

  15. #15
    Moderator foggycreekcavy's Avatar
    Joined
    Oct 04, 2009
    Location
    Auburn, WA
    Posts
    6,154
    Thanks
    176
    Thanks
    1,243 Rec'd/995 Posts
    Mentioned
    393 Post(s)
    Quoted
    772 Post(s)

  16. #16
    Cavy Slave robinmosborne's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 27, 2015
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    25
    Thanks
    2
    Thanks
    1 Rec'd/1 Post
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

    Re: two girls or boy and girl?

    So far she has had none of those symptoms but acting like she is PMSing for the last couple days and half way mounting cuddles once. She was very very vocal yesterday and the day before. Today she seems calmer. She is coming to me when I get near the cage and will let me pet her, this wasn't happening the past couple days. Could she have just been in heat?


    Quote Originally Posted by foggycreekcavy View Post

  17. #17
    Cavy Slave ClicknCavy's Avatar
    Joined
    Mar 16, 2015
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    134
    Blog Entries
    1
    Thanks
    8
    Thanks
    67 Rec'd/44 Posts
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quoted
    18 Post(s)

    Re: two girls or boy and girl?

    Quote Originally Posted by robinmosborne View Post
    Trick training?
    Yeah! Trick training provides great mental stimulation and that can help the girls settle down a bit. Last night, Fiona was actually in heat like really bad, haha. I had work until ten and my boyfriend hadn't let them out at all for floortime because he's been playing the video game he got last month or so. So, when I came home, Fiona was being a real punk to Toora! Fi kept humping and chasing her around. I played with them one at a time first and then put them out on the floor together and Fi was still Miss Humpy, but it was a LOT less intense than it was before because her mind and body were more satisfied. I know that Toora's heat is up next! It's always Fi first, and then Toora-Loora's. Lol. It's pretty regular.

    It really does sound like your girlie was in heat :)

  18. "Thank you, ClicknCavy, for this useful post," says:


  19. #18
    Cavy Slave robinmosborne's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 27, 2015
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    25
    Thanks
    2
    Thanks
    1 Rec'd/1 Post
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

    Re: two girls or boy and girl?

    Quote Originally Posted by ClicknCavy View Post
    Yeah! Trick training provides great mental stimulation and that can help the girls settle down a bit. Last night, Fiona was actually in heat like really bad, haha. I had work until ten and my boyfriend hadn't let them out at all for floortime because he's been playing the video game he got last month or so. So, when I came home, Fiona was being a real punk to Toora! Fi kept humping and chasing her around. I played with them one at a time first and then put them out on the floor together and Fi was still Miss Humpy, but it was a LOT less intense than it was before because her mind and body were more satisfied. I know that Toora's heat is up next! It's always Fi first, and then Toora-Loora's. Lol. It's pretty regular.

    It really does sound like your girlie was in heat :)
    Thanks, we are new to guinea pigs so I have lots of questions. Lol

  20. #19
    Cavy Star Fay's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 06, 2006
    Location
    California
    Posts
    1,617
    Thanks
    188
    Thanks
    271 Rec'd/181 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    84 Post(s)

    Re: two girls or boy and girl?

    Quote Originally Posted by robinmosborne View Post
    Thanks, we are new to guinea pigs so I have lots of questions. Lol
    Then you've come to the right place :) I learned so much from these forums. Best place to start is by reading the Guinea Lynx care and medical guides:

    http://www.guinealynx.info/healthycavy.html
    http://www.guinealynx.info/medical_guide.html

    Aside from that, read all the sticky posts in these forums, check the main tab at the top for cage size recommendations (most pet store cages are too small). I especially recommend printing out this vegetable/fruit chart because it makes it so much easier to figure out what vegetables to feed and how often/much:

    http://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/...us-Plants-List

    If you have any more questions you can use the search function on the forums which should answer most questions but if not don't be afraid to ask, everyone's happy to help out. Oh and this blog also has some great information on introductions and guinea pig behavior. You can click on the tags on the right side to find more articles:

    http://guinea-pigs.livejournal.com/3002707.html

  21. "Thank you, Fay, for this useful post," says:


  22. #20
    Cavy Slave robinmosborne's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 27, 2015
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    25
    Thanks
    2
    Thanks
    1 Rec'd/1 Post
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

    Re: two girls or boy and girl?

    I've looked at the fruits and veggies list and I am wondering if you can freeze some of the fruits to help them last longer and then just let them thaw out before giving them to the piggies.

    Quote Originally Posted by Fay View Post
    Then you've come to the right place :) I learned so much from these forums. Best place to start is by reading the Guinea Lynx care and medical guides:

    http://www.guinealynx.info/healthycavy.html
    http://www.guinealynx.info/medical_guide.html

    Aside from that, read all the sticky posts in these forums, check the main tab at the top for cage size recommendations (most pet store cages are too small). I especially recommend printing out this vegetable/fruit chart because it makes it so much easier to figure out what vegetables to feed and how often/much:

    http://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/...us-Plants-List

    If you have any more questions you can use the search function on the forums which should answer most questions but if not don't be afraid to ask, everyone's happy to help out. Oh and this blog also has some great information on introductions and guinea pig behavior. You can click on the tags on the right side to find more articles:

    http://guinea-pigs.livejournal.com/3002707.html

User Tag List

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •