Thread: Seperate, and get new companions, or what? (Long post/explaination)

Cavy Slave
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    2 Rec'd/2 Posts

Seperate, and get new companions, or what? (Long post/explaination)

So, my boyfriend and I put our boys, Remus and Anakin, together for the first time yesterday. A bit of back story on the boys: We got Remus first, from a petstore that seems to take decent care and gets their "merchandise" from reputable sources (from what I can tell). We got Remus home, and discovered he had signs of ringworms. So, we got that all worked out. Just as we started Remus's prescription treatment, we went back to that store, and picked up Anakin. They were both housed in the same pen with another at the store, but we had to keep them separate from each other when we brought Anakin home, due to Remus's infection. Anyway, Remus just finished his treatment a week ago, so we figured it was time to introduce the boys to each other, in a neutral area with nothing around them except each other and my boyfriend and I.

We had an empty room on the opposite side of the house, so we brought the two boys in there and set them loose, and my boyfriend and I sat back and watched from the opposite side of the room from the guinea pigs. Basically what happened, was a few nose-offs, then the mounting and chasing and butt-sniffing, basic stuff. After a while, (maybe a half hour?) Remus gave in and submitted, but Anakin wouldn't let up. He kept going at Remus, mounting him, but this tie mounting his head (near his eye). Remus essentially tried to get him off of him, which lead to the two biting, and wrestling and rolling over and hissing and scratching. My boyfriend and I managed to get them separate before any damage was done. So after a while, Remus crawled onto my chest to stay out of Anakin's way, and Anakin started to chase him up my stomach. I got him off me (Remus had ran up onto my shoulders), and my boyfriend got Anakin to get on the otherside of the room. Anakin kept trying to get over, and ended up biting my boyfriend.

Like, hospital grade bite. Sean, my boyfriend, needed 6 stitches. Anyway, today, my boyfriend and I tried to put them together again, but in the 3x4 c&c we have for the both of them, hoping that they would be able to work out their issues and stay in the same cage. Long story short, there was the usual dominance stuff, but after an hour Anakin started annoying Remus enough that the fighting started to kick in with the biting, and wrestling. I grabbed a blanket and got Anakin out of the cage (He tried 3 times to take a chunk of my skin off my hands) while I turned the cage from a 3x4 to separate 2x3 c&c cages.

I doubt we're ever going to be able to have Remus and Anakin together again. What I'm wondering is if getting a new companion for Anakin would be a good idea, (there was already talk 2 weeks ago about getting a 3rd pig, so once that happens, Remus will get to be caged with him) or should we put all 3 together? Or should we just try to work out the two boys as they are now?

I should mention that my boyfriend has said that if Anakin bites him again (He bit Sean a week ago as well), than we might consider rehoming him =/.

Any ideas?

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    10 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    23 Rec'd/23 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: Seperate, and get new companions, or what? (Long post/explaination)

First i am sorry it didn't go as planned and second i am sorry that your Boyfriend is hurt. I would actually get 2 more pigs. One for each or if you think that Anakin is to much for you i would rehome him. or another option is to wait it out. I had pigs who had done that except biting me. I waited several months before i introduced them again and it went well. Or he may be one of those guinea pigs who prefer to be alone. it sounds like he likes to instigate things, some guinea pigs get annoyed and when unhappy or stressed will lash out. If you don't want to get rid of Anakin maybe look into getting a spayed female. he may like that arrangement better. If Remus is indeed mellow i would get him a friend as well. You would need to expand the cages to a bigger size if you get each pig a friend. Or like i mentioned give it some time and if it doesn't work in a few months figure out what you want to do. i am so sorry that you have to go through this i have its not fun and it really is stressful. But even though my pigs whom are aggressive i still have them and they love being alone. I love them and i do everything in my power to make them happy. I even let them hang out with each other during lap time but its usually short lived. Think about it and consider spayed females. Good luck

3. "Thank you, Amanda Marie, for this useful post," says:

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quoted
    39 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    87 Rec'd/63 Posts

I’m sorry it didn’t go well, and that your boyfriend got bitten. Maybe have a towel handy next time, so that you can throw it over them to confuse them and make it easier to catch them.

Before you rehome them, maybe try giving them a bath? This will make them smell the same, and be more likely to accept each other.

Have a read of this link:

http://guinea-pigs.livejournal.com/3002707.html

It has lots of great tips on how to introduce them.

Very few pigs prefer to be alone, however there are the odd few that simply cannot get along.

5. "Thank you, Piggly12, for this useful post," says:

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    10 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    23 Rec'd/23 Posts
    Blog Entries

Well i guess i got 2 odd Guinea pigs.. Tried both with over 5 different Guinea pigs females as well but to no avail

Cavy Slave
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    2 Rec'd/2 Posts

Actually, I had forgotten about buddy baths - we're going to try that and try to introduce them again once my boyfriend's hand heals up - there's no way I'll be able to bathe both of the pigs by myself..

I hadn't thought about getting a spayed female for Anakin, but that could be a thing! We were initially avoiding the idea of getting a girl to put in with one of them, because we didn't want to have to get one or the other fixed, but after the past couple days with the boys fighting so much, we've started to reconsider it lol.

I dunno, all of you're ideas have been really helpful, we've worked out a plan of action, and starting to narrow down what to do if things don't work with the boys in the long run. Thanks!! :)

Cavy Slave
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    2 Rec'd/2 Posts

Well, this sucks.My boyfriend some how ended up getting us a 3rd pig, so we spent the day yesterday preparing for a brand new introduction round. We put Remus in his old cardboard 58inch by 46inch pen type thing (we had that because we didnt have access to any grids at the time), and we took some extra grids we had and put together a 2x3grid cage for Anakin. We took apart the old grid cages, soaked them in vinegar water for a few minutes, then ran them through the dishwasher, we cleaned all food bowls and hidey huts (also with vinegar water), and we ran all their fleeces through the washing machine with vinegar added into the mix, and got new wood chews and all that. Then we set up a 4x5grid cage for all three of them boys once introductions were done. We got the bathroom ready for an emergency buddy bath, and we set up some water bottles and put some hay and a giant pile of veggies in the middle of them, and armed ourselves with a blanket for me, and a towel for my boyfriend. (Just for reference, his hand is still stitched up - he tried playing Counter Strike a few days ago and popped his stitches a little bit, so we're doing this with one hand missing essentially)

So, we grabbed all three boys - I grabbed the rowdy two Remus and Anakin, and my bf grabbed our newest, Castiel. We went into separate corner of the room we had set up and released the pigs. It went well for maybe all of half an hour? Well, at least, during the first half hour I was only seeing normal dominance behavior. Actually, at first it was kind of funny, because there was almost a chain of dominance going. Anakin was trying to mount Remus while Remus was trying to mount Castiel while Castiel was trying to run away. Anyway, after a while, Castiel gave up trying to run away and started to focus on the food. Remus and Anakin however, decided that they wanted to fight. Well, really, Anakin was trying to pull dominance over Remus, and Remus wasn't having any of it.

Basically, we ended up pulling Anakin out of there early because Remus turned around and bit his chin. We threw a towel over the three (because Castiel was trying to get in on the action), and somehow managed to pick up Anakin, which when when I noticed blood on the blanket I had him wrapped in, which is when I noticed that he was bleeding. Anyway, we cleaned his wound up as best we could, and put him in the cage. Well, part of the cage. We split it into sections, a 2x4 section which Anakin is in now, and a 3x4 section for the other two. Anyway, once my bf and I established that Anakin wasnt bleeding to death and wasn't hurt any worse than he was, we went back and continued introduction with Castiel and Remus.

Things seemed to go well, until Castiel decided he was going to be the dominate one, and started trying to mount Remus. Remus started nipping at Castiel who started nipping back, so we decided to give them a buddy bath. Ad, hallelujah it worked. For about an hour, After the buddy bath, we watched them for a while, and since they were seemingly getting long, we put them in the 3x4 section of the cage. Which was fine for a while, until Remus and Castiel started trying for dominance over the cage. Wound up with Remus attempting to take bites out of Castiel... So we separated those two, and turned the 3x4 section into 2 2x3 sections.

I'm beyond frustrated. I might try again in a few months, but I can't figure out what's been going wrong. I want to see if Anakin and Castiel will be able to be caged together, since Ive noticed that Remus is biting a the cage bars trying to get at the others, and since Remus was the one to initiate all the bites or nips. But I'm not about to try that anytime soon since Anakin has some missing skin on his chin due to Remus. (Remus didn't come out of that battle unscathed, he's got a few little scratches on his face as well, but nowhere near as bad as Anakin's.) My boyfriend, however, wants to just go ahead and put all three in the big cage for a couple days and then pay for all the vet bills that will definitely come out of it. Obviously, I'm extremely reluctant to do that. My bf refuses to get another GP, which is understandable, and I agree with him. At least for now. Should I just let them be on their own? The boys can see/smell/talk to each other, since their cages are really just one giant cage with dividers in it, but I feel like they would do better if they were together. If I were to put them together again, would I have to completely separate them, so that they wouldn't be able to see/smell/talk to each other?

I'm so frustrated and bummed out. X.x

Cavy Slave
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    2 Rec'd/2 Posts

Question *Graphic Pics* He got into a scrap, and now spending most of his time laying down..

So, one of my boys, Anakin, got into a fight with another one of my boys, Remus, during introductions. Normally, this wouldn't be anything for me to worry about, since both my boyfriend and I are quick to split them up before any damage can happen. However, my boyfriends dominate hand is out of commission at the moment, and I was across the room, so we couldn't get to the two of them fast enough. Basically, what happened was that Remus took a chunk of skin off of Anakin's chin, and Anakin scratched Remus's nose/mouth/snout area, although nowhere near as bad as Anakin.

Anakin was bleeding for a while (my arms were covered in patches of his blood when I was holding him), and we cleaned out the wound as best as we could (warm salt water), and tried to put as much pressure on the spot as we could to stop the bleeding. After we got the bleeding to stop, we put him in a clean cage, gave him some food, water, veggies and hay. He was wheeking in pain while trying to eat the hay, and seemed like he was pretty scared. Anyway.

This morning, I get up and go check on him, and Ive noticed that he's nowhere near as active as he was before he was bit. He's leaning against the cage walls, against his hidey hut, and wasn't moving anywhere near as fast as he normally does when I went to pick him up and check his wound. Should I be worried about this? Apart from what seems to be extreme exhaustion, and a wound that's scabbing over, he seems okay. Should I take him to the vet? He seems okay, for the most part, but I'm worried that there could be something going on that I don't know about.

Im going to attatch a few pictures of the bite from last night before we cleaned it out, while he was still in my arms. What do you think, should we (my boyfriend and I) have taken him to the emergency vet, or should we take him to the vet today, or will everything be fine and Im just worried about nothing? Ive never had fighting guinea pigs and Ive never had to deal with anything more than ringworms, so anything would be helpful for me..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	11696805_1092399807455636_748701591_n.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	48.6 KB 
ID:	75162   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	11719936_1092399824122301_540585632_n.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	50.1 KB 
ID:	75163  

Mentioned
    294 Post(s)
    Quoted
    700 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    1,441 Rec'd/992 Posts

Re: *Graphic Pics* He got into a scrap, and now spending most of his time laying down

He will need to see a vet like yesterday. That wound needs some antibiotics and he is probably not as active because the pain is bothering him.

Mentioned
    2112 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4070 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    7,517 Rec'd/6,006 Posts

I've merged these threads, since you've got a post on the same topic.

12. "Thank you, bpatters, for this useful post," says:

Cavy Slave
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    2 Rec'd/2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bpatters View Post
    I've merged these threads, since you've got a post on the same topic.
    Oh, okay, thanks :)

Cavy Slave
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    2 Rec'd/2 Posts

Re: *Graphic Pics* He got into a scrap, and now spending most of his time laying down

Quote Originally Posted by CavyMama View Post
    He will need to see a vet like yesterday. That wound needs some antibiotics and he is probably not as active because the pain is bothering him.
    Okay, thanks, my vet's closing in a half hour so we wont be able to get in today, but I'll get an appointment for first thing in the morning if I can. I kept thinking that maybe we should have gone to the emergency vet hospital last night, but I couldnt think right.

Mentioned
    2112 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4070 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    7,517 Rec'd/6,006 Posts

There are no signs of infection yet, going by that picture, so tomorrow should be fine.

Cavy Slave
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    2 Rec'd/2 Posts

So, Anakin is on antibiotics now, has been for a couple days now. However, the night before his vet appointment, Anakin started doing this weird twitching/head tossing thing anytime he fell asleep. Neither Remus or my newer pig, Castiel do this. He seems a bit slower moving still, but the vet said his bit wound is healing up nicely. She checked his ears, didn't find anything, checked out his fur&skin, didnt find anything unusual, & did a "neurological test" but she wasn't sure of the results, since the test she was doing she had mostly done on bunnies. Basically what she did was hold him up in the air, & put his front paws on the table, and "dragged" him sideways, so that he was hopping along with his front paws. Then she did it with his back paws, and he didnt really hop along - his back paws sort of dragged along instead. Then she took him & pressed his front paws against the table edge to see if he would try to step up onto the table, which he did for the most part. Then did the same thing with his back paws, which he didnt really do anything with, he just let them hang down. She also checked if he would blink if she put her finger near his eye, but he didn't react to that at all. Anyway, because of this twitching/head tossing thing, the vet said that she would research & ask vets that are strictly GP (she works with alot of exotics, but not strictly GP) about their opinions of it. I know he's sleeping during this because we can do almost anything that would catch the attention of both Remus & Castiel, & would normally get his attention, but we get nothing from him except this "twitching". Usually, he'll start off stretched out, snoozing like any other piggy, but then he'll sit up, start backing up slowly & tossing his head. But he'll still be asleep.

Normally, I'd just keep an eye on Anakin, and just wait to see if the vet found out anything, or if it would stop within a few days, but earlier tonight he literally just started screaming. As far as my bf and I are aware, there wasn't a reason for it. And, I mean SCREAMING, like one of those sounds that as soon as it starts you automatically turn and see what happened. I have no idea what it was about. He just seems, off. I don't know how to explain it.

Does anybody have ANY ideas on this? Ive been trying to find anything similar to it online since he started "twitching". I dont think it has to do with the wound, but I cant figure out if this is just a normal tick of his. I mean, he could even just be dreaming for all I know. (Also, sorry for the super long posts, Im really horrible at explaining things, and keeping myself for worrying over tiny little things.)

Here's the video of the "twitching" that my bf took :

Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Quoted
    264 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    542 Rec'd/456 Posts

I have seen one of my boys do a twitch identical to that when he had an ear infection. He developed the twitch overnight (as in was fine the day before, next morning he was twitching) and was also scratching his ear a bunch, particularly when he was chewing, but was otherwise normal (normal weight, clear eyes, clear nose etc.). When I picked him up he showed great discomfort with me rubbing his right ear so off to the vets we went. In my case his infection was in the outer part of the ear so only ear drops were needed to clear it, the twitch did lessen as he was being treated but he didn't stop twitching (when sitting in his cage, he would still twitch when I went to administer the drops) until the end of the first week of treatment.

The vet did mention that sometimes twitching can be neurological but in my case it was apparent he did have an active infection in his ear so that was likely the cause. If his twitch had continued after the ear infection was cleared we would have looked into it further. However the twitch being caused by the infection did make sense to me as when I have personally had ear infections (which was a very common occurrence for me as a child) my ear would be very itchy, particularly when I would chew food.

User Tag List