Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Guinea Pigs in the Military

Okay, so I'm kinda new here. I'm new to guinea pigs in general, actually.
    I just got my two babies about a month or so ago, their names are BlackJack and Hibiscus--we drove four hours to adopt these cuties!

Anyway, onto my question. My boyfriend and I were discussing possible things in the future. We've come to the decision that he may join the military. He's unsure of what branch yet, he's looking into all of the requirements and such. He and I were already planning to get married--that being said, if he chose a branch with housing, I would be moving with him.
    I was told that we could move as little as every five years, or as often as every six months. He would go where he was needed, depending on his position and whatnot in the military. The guinea pigs can come with us! This isn't my question.

My question is..is moving that often too much for the guinea pigs? They're family, so if this is something he and I can't do, or something that would put way too much stress on them, he will find a different line of work. I'm not sacrificing the health of my animals for an occupation. We also have a cat, but I moved quite frequently when I was younger so she's used to it.

Some moves would be across the state, some across the country, and some would have to be flown out of the United States. Here are my most important questions:

Can guinea pigs handle 6+ hours on a plane?
    Will moving every 6 months-2 years be too much stress on them?
    Are there certain countries where it's illegal to have guinea pigs as pets?
    Are there certain countries that, no matter how much we crank the heat or A/C, it would just NOT be an okay climate for them to be in?
    What's the easiest method to undo a cage, store it, and put it up again?
    How would I even go about making sure there's enough food and water for them on a plane?
    Is it safe to have them on a plane?
    Will moving this much make them more skittish, or afraid of me?

Thank you for your time!
    I've looked for answers to some of these questions but always got mixed results.
    I just want to make sure my piggies are safe and happy!

Thanks
    Thanks
    275 Rec'd/187 Posts
    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)
    Quoted
    171 Post(s)

Guinea Pigs in the Military

My only thought here is really about the out of country stuff. I have no specifics except to say there are long quarantine periods. Weeks and months long depending on where you go. Not sure if you can avoid those with military flights or not. Definitely something to check into. If you were only talking once, that wouldn't be so bad but if you're talking multiples, it would be better to leave them with a trusted friend or family member which would need to be discussed beforehand.
    Using Tapatalk

Cavy Newbie
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: Guinea Pigs in the Military

That's actually a pretty good point, although I didn't think about the quarantine period, I'll have to talk to a recruiter about that.
    As far as traveling goes, it all really depends on what position he's in, and what's needed. Being with a family, they generally tend to bug you less about moving. It's all just based off of "what if's". We could go 5 years without moving, or we could have to move every 6 months. It just all really depends. Generally, we do have a say in where we want to live, staying in the US is a pretty high chance, but there's always a possibility.

As far as "trusted friend or family member," I would absolutely love to. However, I seem to be the only one in either of our families who has interest in smaller animals.

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner ThePigAlchemist's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks
    865 Rec'd/698 Posts
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Quoted
    396 Post(s)

I've done lots of moves by car with my boys, so I've kind of become a pro at disassembling and reassembling cages. Ordinarily I was able to just take the grid part and the coro part apart and stick both in my car, but when I needed more car space, I cut all of the zip ties and reduced the grid part to a bunch of grids, and then reassembled it again at my destination. C+Cs are pretty good for breakdown and reassembly.

Thanks
    Thanks
    275 Rec'd/187 Posts
    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)
    Quoted
    171 Post(s)

I was just browsing and if I read it correctly, England's policy would include a 4 month quarantine. It's hard to be sure because there are so many "ifs" involved. Definitely talk to the recruiter. Traveling around America wouldn't be a problem as far as I'm concerned but out of country more than once would really suck for you and the pigs.
    Using Tapatalk

User Tag List