Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • If you need a specific country prefix that isn't listed, please contact the staff.

Canada Wood Pellets in central/southern Ontario?

miniver

Cavy Slave
Anyone in Canada using wood pellets in your cage? I'm around the Barrie area. I found horse pellets at the near by TSC that are a premium softwood pine/aspen combo that says low dust to prevent respiratory problems in horses. I also found softwood furnace pellets at Home Depot. I would really like to get rid of the towels and puppy pads that I'm currently using.

J.Bosley

Cavy Slave
Hey!
I am in southern Ontario and have used just stove ones from TSC or Canadian Tire for my Rabbit. I'm planning on using fleece for my New Guinea Pigs and then wood pellets in their "kitchen". I find with TSC they run out quick of the stove one, but they are only 4.99$ a bag!

miniver

Cavy Slave
Good to know, thanks. TSC in Bradford has premium horse bedding for $6.99 a bag. It's farm country, so it's always in stock there. I think I'm going to the store this weekend to look at it. I'll give the stove pellets a try in the winter when there is more selection.

Who knew that having guinea pigs would teach me about horses. lol

sallyvh

Cavy Slave
Canadian tire has Canwick hardwood stove pellets. 40lbs and I believe they are $5.99. Since they are hardwood you don't need to worry about phenols.

(broken link removed)

J.Bosley

Cavy Slave
Canadian tire has Canwick hardwood stove pellets. 40lbs and I believe they are $5.99. Since they are hardwood you don't need to worry about phenols.

(broken link removed)

Thats the one I have used from Canadian Tire, my only issue was they almost never have it in stock... Then I get stuck paying 12.99$ for yesterday's news for my bunny... So frustrating!

I will have to check TSC in the horse section next time

lunarminx

Cavy Slave
Just remember when you catch them in stock to buy a few bags if you have the room to store them.

sallyvh

Cavy Slave
[MENTION=31349]J.Bosley[/MENTION] remember to check their inventory online in advance! Fortunately my Canadian tire always has 20+ bags in stock.

J.Bosley

Cavy Slave
@sallyvh good idea! And that makes me crazy jealous haha I'm lucky if mine has 1 bag....

miniver

Cavy Slave
Duh...never thought to check Canadian Tire. Thanks.

J.Bosley

Cavy Slave
On a side note, nice to see some folks fr Ontario!

miniver

Cavy Slave
I got the wood pellets at Canadian Tire over the weekend. They were in the backroom but customer service had two bags brought up to the cash for me. Great service.

So, the pellets went in the cage on Sunday. As soon as I put my girls down in the clean cage the pellets started to make noise as they walked. They immediately ran into their cuddle cups. I don't blame them. How would you like to come home and find that your floor was still purple with polka dots but was crunchy when you walked on it. Their beds are at one end and the hay is at the other end. It took half an hour before their hunger overcame their fear and they ventured out.

It was hilarious watching them tiptoe across the cage. Even better is that the pellets create a slight grove where they walk. I now have piggy trails from the bed, under the footstool, to the kitchen, through the tunnel and back to the bedroom. There is also a Rosey's-bum-sized dent next the pellet dish. lol

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.