Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Storage Needs Hay Rack Ideas

Cavy7

Cavy Slave
I have a 2x4 c&c cage and I need help finding ideas for a hay rack position on my cage. My hay rack is the kind that hangs on the outside of the grids, but I can't hang it low enough for the baby guinea pigs because there is about 4.5" of coroplast in the way. I'm thinking about either cutting the coroplast to make room for it or creating a kind of walk-up so that they can reach it. What do you think? :?:

pigmommy89

Cavy Slave
Honestly, i have found that hay racks are more trouble then they're worth. My pigs wasted more hay with them than without them. I just pile hay in a litter box and let them have at it.

miniver

Cavy Slave
I don't recommend cutting the coroplast. You're babies will be all grown up sooner than you think. Find a temporary solution, like a cardboard box and use binder clips to attach it to the side of the cage. My hay was in the litter box but now it's just in a tray on the floor of the cage.

Have a look at the picture section on this forum. There is a section in the cage pictures that is dedicated to hay racks.

HansPiggies

Cavy Slave
If you have a spare grid then bend it and use it vertically, soo good as a hay rack and a lot less mess on the floor as no bits dropping down. I've tried so many and found this is the best in regards to easy access,less mess and wastage :)

cavycrazy1107

Cavy Gazer
Try bending a grid to look like a "U". then just attach it to the cage and put a drip pad under it. I just use the Hay Roller by Kaytee. My piggies like the roller, but I have to put more hay in it like 2-3 times a day. Google ideas and see what you like best.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Don't attach the rack that @cavycrazy1107 describes in a horizontal position. It's too easy for a pig to get into, and we've had several pigs with broken legs who've gotten startled, jumped, and couldn't get their legs free. It's much safer to put the bent grid in a vertical position.

There are also hundreds of pictures of hay racks in the photo galleries.

cavycrazy1107

Cavy Gazer
That's what I meant. Thank you for clarifying it, I wouldn't want any piggies getting injurred. @bpatters

Cavy7

Cavy Slave
For now I think I'll just use a temporary solution like the one @miniver recommended. I haven't actually gotten my guinea pigs yet (I will be getting them this WHEEKend). I am planning on getting babies and I have the cage all set up. :)

miniver

Cavy Slave
We love babies! Please take some pictures for us!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.