Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Behavior Two herds, one room. Is this okay?

fluffedpig

Cavy Slave
I have two male guinea pigs in a nice, large C&C cage in my room. They have been thriving and happy, and I'm ready to commit to more guinea pigs. However, I know it's incredibly difficult to house three male guinea pigs, and I'd like to keep my boys happy, so I've already decided against adding another boy to my little herd.
The other option is having females. I have enough cubes and easy access to coroplast, so I can make another cage, but I'm pressed for space. Literally my only option is putting the cage in the same room as my boys, either on top or underneath the current cage.
Is this okay? I've read things about males fighting when near the smell of females, but my boys have a set and defined dominance, and barely have issues. I'm sure they'd scuffle, but they occasionally do anyways. (nothing to worry about, you know boys:p)
I know there's hundreds of products to make cage-on-top-of-cage systems, so I'd probably invest in one of those, but is this setup okay? Will my boys get into rougher and angrier fights? Would my girls get upset? I really want more guinea pigs, and I know I can handle them, providing them the love and affection they need, but I want my piggies to be happy. Please give any advice! Thanks:)

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
If you're going to get two pigs if you get females, why not just get two more males and let them live together? Then you don't have to worry about any of that.

cavycrazy1107

Cavy Gazer
I honestly think you have a better bet with 3 boars. Every piggie is different and if you think your boys would all get along I say go for it! A shelter near me (where I got my boys) has a lot of cages with 3 boars and they all get along great! If you still don't like the idea, why not get 2 males and put the cage under your two boys right now? Fighting wouldn't be a risk and you wouldn't be putting more boys together. I honestly think it depends on your piggies and their personalities. DO what you think would be best.

fluffedpig

Cavy Slave
What do you mean? [MENTION=13820]bpatters[/MENTION]?

fluffedpig

Cavy Slave
Should I just get more males, but put them in the new cage? Would the boys still standoff? Could both of the little herds share a floortime?

lissie

Cavy Slave
I think bpatters meant to say you could get another pair of males, and put them in another cage.

Don't share floor time unless you want them to live together.

Also you'll need to do proper introductions if you want all of them to live together.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
That's right, lissie. Two cages, two males in each cage.

It would be far easier to get that to work than to introduce a third boar to an existing pair.

PandaPiggle

Cavy Slave
Another benefit to having two separate pairs of boars would be that there wouldn't be any chance of a pregnancy mishap. I don't have boars at all, but one of my sows was adopted unknowingly pregnant because her former humans accidentally put a boar in a sow cage. I was lucky and everything turned out okay, but that's why I will never have adult unaltered boars in the same house as my girls. You can't watch 24/7, and you don't want to have any pig sitters, children, friends, etc. putting boys and girls together and having an unhappy ending.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.