Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Lethargy Please help.. Lethargic guinea pig..

omgolivia123

Cavy Slave
Alright so im freaking out. Last night, Simba passed away suddenly. I don't even know how. Everything was perfectly fine and then he was just dead. Within like two hours.

Well tonight, Mufasa is not doing good at all. He ate and drank a few hours ago. He's not standing up now. He's just completely out of it. I don't know if he's going to make it through the night to go to the vet tomorrow.

Could Simba gave him whatever was wrong? I don't know. My heart hurts. We also have rabbits in the same room as the guinea pigs. Not direct contact, obviously. Can the guinea pigs make the bunnies sick? I really can't lose all my babies. I have no idea what could of caused this. It was SO sudden.

Mufasa also rolled over on his side and his legs started moving a lot for about 15 seconds. I don't know if this happened to Simba because he was gone within an hour and we didn't see it happen :(

ClemmyOddieIndy

Cavy Slave
Do you have an emergency vet nearby that sees exotics? It sounds like he needs medical care asap.

omgolivia123

Cavy Slave
He's got an appointment with the regular exotic vet tomorrow. We have an emergency vet a half hour away but when we called, they said they don't take exotics. :(

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
It's more likely that the guinea pigs caught something from the rabbits. Rabbits carry bordatella, which guinea pigs can't be vaccinated against. It's a main reason why the two should never be kept together.

You really need an exotic vet tonight. I'm sorry there's not one close to you that's open.

omgolivia123

Cavy Slave
They aren't kept together. They are on opposite sides of the room. Rabbits can get bordatella, yes. That's why we vaccinate them. So that rules that out. I was just worried.

I'm panicking. I don't even know. Is it possible he could be depressed? I don't know what that's like. Mufasa also has went the bathroom like normal. No diarrhea or bloody urine. I'm just lost.

omgolivia123

Cavy Slave
I just asked my boyfriend if one of the rabbits vaccines was bordatella, he didn't remember but they get vaccines against a bunch. Nonetheless, they aren't kept together. Just both in the family room.

I've been researching and it sounds like his one incident was a seizure? Why was this so close together and so sudden? For both of them. :(

GuineaPiggies7

Cavy Slave
OK, I'm not sure if this was posted a while ago or not, Can you tell me if mufasa is ok?
Poor thing. I'm so sorry about Simba

omgolivia123

Cavy Slave
OK, I'm not sure if this was posted a while ago or not, Can you tell me if mufasa is ok?
Poor thing. I'm so sorry about Simba

I posted this last night. He didn't make it. :( He rolled on his side and started kicking a lot and we just tried to comfort him. It happened so quickly. We took him in to see if they could find the cause of death and so far we haven't heard anything. It sucks. I just don't even know.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I'm sorry about your pigs. It sounds like they were both exposed to something fatal -- bad food, insect bite, insecticide, infectious agent, whatever. I hope the vet has some answers for you after the necropsy.

Beatrix187

Cavy Slave
Oh my goodness I am so sorry.:( Poor thing, but it was so sudden there wasn't really a lot of things you could do. Hopefully the vets can find out what had happened. But at least he isn't suffering anymore. And you did the best to comfort him. Guinea pigs are good at hiding sickness so it is really hard to tell until the very end. I am praying for you and your family.

Dashmo

Cavy Slave
Very sorry for your loss. It doesn't seem that there was much you could have done, but at least you were there to comfort them.

lunarminx

Cavy Slave
I'm sorry for you loss.

ClemmyOddieIndy

Cavy Slave
Oh no I'm sorry.

GuineaPiggies7

Cavy Slave
I'm so sorry. I hope you feel better :(

Amanda Marie

Cavy Slave
I am sorry, stay strong.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.