Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Rest in Peace, baby Holden

Owls.Wrens

Cavy Slave
Yesterday on 6/15/2015 my 5 year old piggy Holden passed away. He had been doing fine, he seemed less energetic than usual though (wish I had taken him to the vet sooner, didn't think much of it since he was still eating and wasn't displaying any other symptoms). Yesterday morning I noticed that he had only eaten half of one of the two carrots I gave him last night and his water was untouched. His eyes looked dull but he was still moving. I pet him for a little bit, but I had to run to my doctor's appointment so I made an appointment with my vet for later in the day as I was driving. I checked on him again after my appointment and he was still okay, and seemed a little more lively than in the morning. I had to go back out to speak to an old teacher I had made an appointment with a couple days before. After that was done I came back to my house to grab him and head to the vet for the appointment, but when I got home he had already passed away. He was laying by the divider in the cage (had to separate him and Starbucks because they couldn't figure out dominance) and Starbucks was sitting next to him, sniffing at him. Needless to say, I'm devastated by this loss. I miss his happy squeaks, and the way he would lick people. I don't know if there's anything I could have done, but I wish I had at least a couple more days with him, or at least knew what was wrong.

RIP my sweet little Holden.
20140914_121915.jpg

PandaPiggle

Cavy Slave
I am so sorry for your loss, he looks like such a beautiful boy. You couldn't have known that a little bit of laziness would be the first sign of the end, and you did a good job getting him a prompt appointment once you saw something concerning, even if he didn't make it. You did everything you could, just know he's waiting for you at the rainbow bridge, so you'll see him again someday.

GuineaPiggies7

Cavy Slave
I'm so sorry for your loss.
I know what it feels like, so try and let out some of your emotions
I always make a little wooden cross and putting their name on it and hang it near your cage.
Or if it seems a little bit much for you at first (as you will be seeing it everyday), maybe put the cross outside under a tree.
A nice pretty tree that reminds you of them. Hope this helped Hope your feeling better

urofan

Cavy Slave
I am very sorry that your guinea pig died.

cavycrazy1107

Cavy Gazer
I'm sorry for your loss. Having him for that long definitely would've created a bond between you two. At least he is in piggy heaven, eating all the veggies he wants. R.I.P

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
I'm so sorry.

Keep an eye on Starbucks. Do you weigh your pigs weekly? You might want to weigh Starbucks daily for a bit, to make sure nothing's wrong.

Owls.Wrens

Cavy Slave
I am so sorry for your loss, he looks like such a beautiful boy. You couldn't have known that a little bit of laziness would be the first sign of the end, and you did a good job getting him a prompt appointment once you saw something concerning, even if he didn't make it. You did everything you could, just know he's waiting for you at the rainbow bridge, so you'll see him again someday.
Thank you for the kind thoughts :) I really appreciate them

I'm so sorry for your loss.
I know what it feels like, so try and let out some of your emotions
I always make a little wooden cross and putting their name on it and hang it near your cage.
Or if it seems a little bit much for you at first (as you will be seeing it everyday), maybe put the cross outside under a tree.
A nice pretty tree that reminds you of them. Hope this helped Hope your feeling better
Thank you for the kind thoughts and advice. I definitely will do that, I think it'll be nice to pay homage that way.

I am very sorry that your guinea pig died.
Thank you for the kind thought :)

I'm sorry for your loss. Having him for that long definitely would've created a bond between you two. At least he is in piggy heaven, eating all the veggies he wants. R.I.P
Thank you for the kind thoughts, thinking about it this way helps. :)

I'm so sorry.

Keep an eye on Starbucks. Do you weigh your pigs weekly? You might want to weigh Starbucks daily for a bit, to make sure nothing's wrong.
I'll be getting a scale very soon to do so. I've been keeping a very close eye on him since and he seems okay, but I don't want to take any chances. Thank you for the advice :)

Last edited:

Owls.Wrens

Cavy Slave
/edited into one post, still learning to use the reply feature/.

Last edited:
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.