Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Injury Guinea pig attacked by dog

Brittany Burdo

Cavy Slave
My guinea pig got attacked by my dog earlier today... usually I would have been able to prevent it, but my leg was recently broken so I couldn't lock the door. I yelled at my mom to go save her, but our little Jack Russell got in there before we could prevent it.

She was covered in saliva, but there was no blood. But when we tried to feed her an some apple, she tried to take a bite but then quickly rejected it and started to hyperventilate... what should I do? Is she hurt or just traumatized? I'm so scared for her... she's just sitting in her igloo right now... :(

I can't take her to the vet now because it's late...

Lagertha

Cavy Slave
Is there an emergency vet number you can call? :( I really hope your girl is okay!

Soecara

Cavy Slave
Where was she covered in saliva? It sounds like she is in pain, also keep in mind she may have internal bleeding. https://www.guinealynx.info/pain.html

Do you have anything on hand that you could give her for pain? Even ibuprofen would do just until you can get her into the vets, ibuprofen is dosed at 10mg/kg every 4 hours at most. It isn't the most ideal pain medication to use but it is better then nothing. In an emergency I had to give one of my girls ibuprofen until I could get her into the vets and she only needed it once every 6 hours as that is when she started to become uncomfortable again, so she ended up getting two doses before I could get her into the vet. https://www.guinealynx.info/analgesics.html

BaconAndEggs

Cavy Slave
Your questions have already been answered, but I just wish your piggy well. I hope she gets better soon, and you get in to a good vet.

CavyMama

Cavy Slave
If there was saliva but no blood, it's likely that the dog shook the poor pig violently. The trachea may have been squeezed or crushed which might be why she wouldn't take the apple. There could be broken bones, nerve damage, internal organ damage. You won't know the extent until she is seen by the vet.

sallyvh

Cavy Slave
I'm with CavyMama, Jack Russells grab prey and rapidly shake it back and forth. This is probably what happened to your pig and she could have multiple points of internal damage. The simple answer is that she needs a vet.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
And you need a lid on the cage so the dog can't get to her.

LoveMyHerd

Cavy Slave
How is she? Was she seen?

lunarminx

Cavy Slave
Sorry, I have to ask but how does a broken leg stop you from locking a door?

RodentsRus

Cavy Star, Video Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Did you take her to the vet? I agree with all that said take her to the vet. Just because she acting OK. Guinea pig hide there pain. If you wait till she shows in it maybe harmful.

CavyMama

Cavy Slave

I think she just meant that she couldn't get up fast enough to lock the door and prevent the dog from getting in.

lunarminx

Cavy Slave
I think she just meant that she couldn't get up fast enough to lock the door and prevent the dog from getting in.

That makes sense.

mufasa

Cavy Gazer
I'm sending thoughts and prayers your way. I have a Jack Russell/rat terrier mix, and even though he's never shown aggression to my girls (who are in a vulnerable cage, i.e. an uncovered swimming pool on the floor of my pet room), I take triple precautions with gate, room divider, and door to keep him away from them. Your dog was only doing what comes naturally, but it's devastating when it happens to your piggy. I hope you can get her to the vet and that everything turns out okay.

Brittany Burdo

Cavy Slave

None of them (my mom and my granny) expected our bigger dog to open the door at this time except for me, and at this time it was very difficult for me to get around. My big dog jumped up and opened the door with his paw. If I asked them to lock it for me they'd just say I'm paranoid.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
So they say you're paranoid. At least your guinea pig would be safe.

Brittany Burdo

Cavy Slave
Did you take her to the vet? I agree with all that said take her to the vet. Just because she acting OK. Guinea pig hide there pain. If you wait till she shows in it maybe harmful.

We have a lot of medical bills to pay from me breaking my leg, and my mom would call me crazy if I said we should take a rodent to the vet...

@Everybody: According to my mom, the dog was only standing over my guinea pig by the time she got there. This dog is very old, so I doubt she could pick up my piggy, let alone shake her around. But who knows...
My piggy nowadays eats food and drinks like normal. But she likes to stay deep inside the cage rather than come out into the open. She's not scared of getting pet. I really wonder what happened to her...

CavyMama

Cavy Slave
If she was only standing over the pig, there would not be saliva all over the pig. Jack Russels have a strong prey drive. At the very least, she likely picked her up and shook her.

Brittany Burdo

Cavy Slave
What do you think about the behavior I described?

Lagertha

Cavy Slave
@bpatters it isn't like she did it on purpose. Yeah she could have locked the door or asked a family member to do so, but what happened has happened and she's just asking for help. I come from a family that probably would have said the same thing and probably wouldn't have done anything if I asked them to so I know where she is coming from. Her family will probably listen to her from now on, thankfully, but for now she just needs guidance and instruction on what to do to insure that her piggy will make it through what has happened. No amount of criticism over how the incident happened can change the outcome that occurred. She just had the worst case scenario happen and it will more than likely never happen again now. She doesn't need to be picked at and prodded at while going through this.

Lagertha

Cavy Slave
@Brittany Burdo it sounds like she may just be more wary, I know I definitely would be if I were her! Its good that she is eating and drinking normal! Does she appear to be moving about her cage normally?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.