Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Feet Poo stuck in toe nails

carlyg

Cavy Slave
Today I noticed there was something brown packed in one of my piggies nails. I'm assuming it's poo? I tried picking at it a bit with my finger nail, but it seemed really packed in there. My picking at it didn't see me to hurt her, though. So is this something I should be concerned about? Or does anyone have any suggestions about how to get it out?

Here's a picture of it. Her nails are white- the brown is the poo.

Attachments

image.jpg

lunarminx

Cavy Slave
Let her run in the tub in some shallow warm water to loosen it up and wash the toes off.

carlyg

Cavy Slave
Thank you so much for replying ^^. But when I was handling her nails today, I noticed little white bugs around her eyes and ears. One was moving, and it looked like lice in my opinion. I've been reading up on guinea lynx about how to treat it. So I found this ivermectin at a Tractor Supply in my area, but I'm not sure if it's safe.

(broken link removed)

It doesn't say 1% or anything. Does that matter? Can I use this kind, and if so, do I need to dilute it?

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
If you can see them moving, they're lice.

And that's the stuff you want -- it's a .5% solution. Here's the GL chart for dosing according to the weight of your guinea pig: https://www.guinealynx.info/topical_ivermectin_pour-on.html.

You'll need a 1 cc syringe to measure, and it will be just a tiny amount in that syringe. Put it in the bald spots behind the ears.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I think it's packaged differently, Soecara, but it's the same strength.

carlyg

Cavy Slave
Thank you [MENTION=13820]bpatters[/MENTION] ! Just making sure I had the right thing

carlyg

Cavy Slave
Update: I've treated them twice with ivermectin, the third treatment will be this Thursday. Last I checked, they still had a ton of lice in their hair, but none on their skin or around their eyes.

So here's my new problem: I trimmed both my girls' nails the other day, but my boy, Vanilla Ice, won't let me. He starts chewing on his foot everytime I try to hold him still to trim his nails. His feet are pink (he's PEW), but they look even redder than normal.

So does he just not like having his nails trimmed? Or is there something wrong with his feet?

(I'll try to get pix soon, if that helps)

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
If you still have lice, then I'd treat with Revolution. If you're in the US I'd take them to the vet (it's prescription only) to get fast treatment. You can order it online at Petshed.com, but it takes awhile and your guys need faster relief.

carlyg

Cavy Slave
If you still have lice, then I'd treat with Revolution. If you're in the US I'd take them to the vet (it's prescription only) to get fast treatment. You can order it online at Petshed.com, but it takes awhile and your guys need faster relief.

Oh I guess I wasn't very clear. They don't have any live lice - at least not that I can see. But they had a lot of nits (isn't that what the eggs are called?) last time I checked, which was before the 2nd treatment. I read that it takes three treatments of ivermectin to kill all of them, right?

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
How long is your pig's hair? I would consider shaving or cutting his hair, to make it easier to treat and observe any lice adults and eggs.

carlyg

Cavy Slave
They're all three long haired (I know, yikes). Actually, my oldest girl looks exactly like the guinea pig in your profile picture. I trim their hair regularly, and I've considered shaving them, I just don't know how to go about that. Would you use just any electric razor? [MENTION=13918]foggycreekcavy[/MENTION]

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.