Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Mites Ear Mites and Fleece Cleaning

CC Cookie Dough

Cavy Slave
Preliminary Information:

My guinea pig recently got ear mites (this is the second time that she has had this problem) and I got medicine for her from the vet. The last time she had this problem the medicine worked perfectly and she got better. Cookie Dough was in a different cage last time and had disposable bedding. When she was sick we switched her bedding every other day and washed her cage and plastic accessories when we switched out her bedding.

Now Cookie Dough has a C&C cage and has fleece bedding. I have started her on the medicine again (Ivermectin) and am going to switch out her top layer of fleece every other day (and wash the fleece with vinegar and unscented detergent). Before she got sick, we would switch out the fleece once a week and at this time we would also wash the pee pads that are under the layer of fleece on the second level of her cage and would wash the one pee pad and the u-haul pad that are underneath the layer of fleece on the bottom level of her cage.

Question:

I am wondering now if it is okay to only wash the top layer of fleece for each floor level every other day and to stick to washing the pee pads and the u-haul pad once a week. My thinking is that she is only directly touching the top layers of fleece and that the mites would not be able to get to the layers underneath the fleece. Is this true or should I be worried about the pee pads and u-haul pad underneath as well?

CC Cookie Dough

Cavy Slave
Substance on Poop

Yesterday my guinea pig had something wrong with one of her poops (it was only on one and the rest were fine). I've tried doing research, but am still not sure what this is. I was hoping I could get some information about this issue and that someone would know about it.

Here's the situation: One of her poops had a white, gooey substance on it. It was on the outside of the poop on one side. From what I've researched, it seems like it might be a mucus plug and that she might be in heat. (I would guess that this would be her first time in heat, since I have never noticed her in heat before and she is only about 7 months old).

This is what the poop and substance looked like (and yes, I know that my pooper scooper is dirty, I am planning on cleaning it):
1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
It could be a mucus plug, but she's likely had them before. Guinea pig sows start coming into heat around 4-5 weeks of age. You usually don't see them.

If that's the only you see, I wouldn't worry about it. If it continues, it may be a digestive issue, and we'll have to address that.

CC Cookie Dough

Cavy Slave
Ok, I'll keep checking on her and I'll update this thread if I see anything, but I agree that she's probably fine. Thanks for the help and advice!

CC Cookie Dough

Cavy Slave
Whistle-y Breathing

Today I noticed that Cookie Dough's breathing/sniffing seems to sound a bit like whistling. Is this something I should be worried about? Would this point to a URI or could she just be excited by smells in the room (I just got a shipment of new hay in).

Here is a video where you can hear her breathing (you will probably need to turn the volume up on your computer, phone, etc. to be able to hear her):

https://youtu.be/L_8UIZZJkDM

CC Cookie Dough

Cavy Slave
Re: Whistle-y Breathing

Today I noticed that Cookie Dough's breathing/sniffing seems to sound a bit like whistling. Is this something I should be worried about? Would this point to a URI or could she just be excited by smells in the room (I just got a shipment of new hay in).

Here is a video where you can hear her breathing (you will probably need to turn the volume up on your computer, phone, etc. to be able to hear her):

https://youtu.be/L_8UIZZJkDM

I would really appreciate it if someone could respond to this thread. I think her breathing might be less whistle-y today, but it's still a concern that I would like to talk to someone about.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.