Thread: How Old Is/was Your Guinea Pig..AVERAGE AGE!

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    3 Rec'd/3 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)

How Old Is/was Your Guinea Pig..AVERAGE AGE!

Hello, so I know that everywhere I look people say that the average guinea pig lives 4-8 years. I was wondering what experiences everyone else has had with past guineA pigs or how old your guinea pig now is. Please also include where you got them and gender,breed and maybe even the type of cage (C&C,Store bought) This should help me understand the typical guinea pig age better and not such a large range. Thank you,I look forward to seeing your responses!

if you had a guinea pig that lived considerably older or longer than your others please tell what you did differently.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	245.2 KB 
ID:	74765  

Thanks
    Thanks
    7,331 Rec'd/5,843 Posts
    Mentioned
    2050 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3926 Post(s)

Re: How Old Is/was Your Guinea Pig..AVERAGE AGE!

3. "Thank you, bpatters, for this useful post," says:

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    62 Rec'd/51 Posts
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Quoted
    21 Post(s)

My oldest just passed she was 9.she passed from old age I've had others who passed around 5-6 yrs of age but it was due to illnesses

Thanks
    Thanks
    1,243 Rec'd/995 Posts
    Mentioned
    393 Post(s)
    Quoted
    772 Post(s)

I have some as old as 9. One of my boys passed away around 10. I've also had those that passed away for no particular reason as young as 4 months. A set of brothers, one lived to be 7 and the other passed away before a year old. They were treated exactly the same.

Thanks
    Thanks
    520 Rec'd/418 Posts
    Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Quoted
    214 Post(s)

My oldest right now are just under 4 years.

Previously I had a single pig growing up, he lived until 6.5 years but we ended up having him put to sleep. In his last few months he had a terrible time with his teeth and regardless of how many filings or Xrays he had he never seemed to improve. We decided it wasn't fair to him amymore and euthansia was the most humane option. He was purchased from a pet store as a baby and lived in an extra large pet store cage (just under 7 sqft). This was about 8 years ago when I was a young teen.

Although my pigs care could have been much worse my girls that I currently own receive excellent care. We have had some health issues with them regardless of how well I take care of them but I'm hoping they live long healthy lives.

Thanks
    Thanks
    66 Rec'd/61 Posts
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Quoted
    49 Post(s)

Ikarus (male) and Freya (female) are from the same litter and are both 12 days away from being 7 months old! They were both supposed to be females, but there was a mix up. The litter they are from had 2 boys and 2 girls, one of the boys and one of the girls were twins and we accidentally got the boy twin. That's okay though because we love him! We got them from a very nice woman on craigslist because she couldn't keep them due to not having enough time for them (she has horses, dogs, bearded dragons, and the mom and dad of our piggies). We still keep in contact with her and send her updates on them We built a C&C cage and I'm still adding onto it.

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner pinky's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks
    2,491 Rec'd/1,959 Posts
    Mentioned
    684 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1563 Post(s)

My oldest was 9.5 years. She was a breeder pig that was surrendered to our rescue with her neutered mate. She loved other guinea pigs and I think her doting disposition might have been what kept her alive so long. I have I have one that's about a year old, two that are going to be two, one that will turn 7 on July 19 and a neutered male that's probably around 7. I got him 6 years ago this month and he was an adult that was listed on Petfinder for a long time before I decided to go adopt him and have him neutered since I had all females.

Thanks
    Thanks
    587 Rec'd/396 Posts
    Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Quoted
    293 Post(s)

I have one 3.5 year old & two 5.5 year olds, and I can see some signs of age in one of the older ones.

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    3 Rec'd/3 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by foggycreekcavy View Post
    I have some as old as 9. One of my boys passed away around 10. I've also had those that passed away for no particular reason as young as 4 months. A set of brothers, one lived to be 7 and the other passed away before a year old. They were treated exactly the same.
    The ones that passed away around 9 & 10, were they from breeders or pet stores or rescues?

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    10 Rec'd/8 Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)

I have two male pigs. I believe one of my pigs is almost 1 and the other one is older so I'm not actually sure. I had another pig but he only lived till 2 because he passed away from URI. Both of my boys are short haired pigs. I got them from a lady who's two boys weren't taking care of them like they were supposed to. I have two Midwest cages.

Thanks
    Thanks
    1,243 Rec'd/995 Posts
    Mentioned
    393 Post(s)
    Quoted
    772 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by G.Piggies View Post
    The ones that passed away around 9 & 10, were they from breeders or pet stores or rescues?
    Well, I am a rescue. Many of the guinea pigs I get are owner surrenders, and the ones from the local shelters are usually surrenders, too (although more and more they are finding them as strays). I would assume that most of them originally were from pet stores, since there are 7 of the big box ones within 30 minutes of me.

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner Gforcepiggies's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    230 Rec'd/96 Posts
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Quoted
    54 Post(s)

Darwynn is probably four, Juarez is 3 1/2, and Pho is 1.

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    3 Rec'd/3 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Well, the oldest pig we've had was 6 years old, I think, and he was a male we got from PetSmart back in 2005. He lived in a couple different cages: a small store-bought cage, a store-bought cage that was up to standard in terms of size, and a 2x5 C&C cage with two (maybe three?) other males. For about a year he lived on wood shavings, but I couldn't say what type of wood it was, and for the rest of his life he lived on CORN COB because my mom could get it locally really cheap and we all thought it was a good bedding at the time??? I was just a kid then, and none of us knew it was wrong.

Currently, my oldest guinea pig is a 3.5 y/o female named Guinea. She was also gotten from Petsmart, and she lived in a small store-bought cage (the same one I mentioned a moment ago, haha) for 3 years, and is now living in a 2x5 C&C cage with two young females. Guinea used to live on shredded paper with newspaper lining her cage, but she now lives on fleece.

My other female pigs are Velvet (6 month old) and Roxie (1 year old), and they also lived on shredded paper with the newspaper. Velvet had the up to standard store-bought cage, and Roxie we adopted, so she came with a SuperPet cage from the previous owners. They now live with Guinea in the 2x5 fleece-lined C&C. I got Velvet from a local pet shop, and Roxie was adopted and also presumably came from a pet shop.

Thanks
    Thanks
    36 Rec'd/29 Posts
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)

My oldest is currently 2 years old.

Thanks
    Thanks
    3 Rec'd/3 Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)

I have many guineas over the years (all boars) raging from under a year to almost 10 and each and everyone I spoil rotten it depends really on the piggy and health some piggies no matter how well you may take care of them some just have health issues raging from simple allergy to chronic stones. But the idea is to give the best life to each piggy you can offer.

User Tag List