Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Adopting feeling excited

mdodge

Cavy Slave
Today after work I'm going to pick up my new little girl.I'm adopting her from the little furball guinea pig rescue in harleysville pa .she's a 1 1/2 yr old.she's got a wellness apt tomorrow at 11 am and if all goes well then I'll be doing introductions tomorrow afternoon. I've read and re-read the introduction links.I've got the potty pads, loungers,and fleece all clean.I double washed them once in vinegar and then reg wash.have a new cage plan all set to go while their getting used to each other.all ready to clean cage real good also.made a big pen for their introduction. even have a game plan for that.since their used to getting there veggies in morning going to only feed their hay and pellets so hopefully getting their veggies during introduction will be a helpful distraction for them. A little background on her .her name is Arizona she was dropped of at a shelter in a cardboard box on 5/9/15.she was a little thin but has been eating much better and has puton some weight.she was picked up by the rescue on 5/16 and has been living in a foster home .she's been alone so that's why if wellness check goes ok her quarantine time would if been satisfied. from what her foster mom says she loves lap time and attention. and will snuggle in your lap and take a nap......if anyone has any advice I'm open to it. 157525131.jpg

Piggly12

Cavy Slave
It sounds like you have pretty much everything planned out! She’s adorable! But she seems to have very long nails though...

Good luck for the introduction! I hope it goes well, and they all get along happily!

PandaPiggle

Cavy Slave
It looks like you're prepped and ready!!! I'll second the long nails, so hopefully that's not a recent picture and is from when she first arrived.

Aww she's got the most precious little face, with the dutch pattern just like my 2nd piggie Penny!!! And she has the most beautiful eyes... so much cuteness, good luck!!! :)

LoveMyHerd

Cavy Slave
Yay @mdodge! Good luck with your new cutie!

(And hi, PandaPiggle! How are the girls?)

mdodge

Cavy Slave
Oh I agree about her nails that's the pic the rescue has for her.once she's home if they need trimming probably in morning I'll do them as she's going to have about an hour car ride plus new environment so don't want to stress her to much.

BaconAndEggs

Cavy Slave
Good luck with introductions, and felicitations for your new piggy! Hope all goes well. She has the cutest face-I might just have to buy a plane ticket and fly up there to steal her.

lunarminx

Cavy Slave
While she is at the vets, i would have them do it so you are not the bad guy right away. When I adopted Knock Knock and Who's There, their nails were really really long and they were at the shelter 8 months and I commented on that. I had to be the bad guy right away for a few months but with black nails, I did keep them slightly longer.

lunarminx

Cavy Slave
PS..

She is a cutie.

mdodge

Cavy Slave
Thank you lunarminx that's a good idea. all done at once.

Dashmo

Cavy Slave
She is gorgeous!! Good luck and congrats!

mdodge

Cavy Slave
On my way to go get her lol

mdodge

Cavy Slave
Introducing ..... ARIZONA...... she's adorable you can pick her right up and she cuddles up in your lap or arms and doesn't squirm. she's munching on some Timothy hay she drank a little water so she knows were it's at just going to let her settle a bit now.IMAG0156.jpgIMAG0156.jpg

Amanda Marie

Cavy Slave
Adorable, good luck.

PandaPiggle

Cavy Slave
EEP! She's adorable! She could practically be sisters with my 2nd piggie, Penny... They've both got the beautiful dutch thing going :) I hope everything goes well for the beautiful lady!!!

mdodge

Cavy Slave
Update.. her wellness appointment went great.she healthy. her weight was 780 grams .she did still caution me about the quarantine even though her respirations and lungs sounded good.I told her that she's been by herself since 5/16 .she then said should be ok for introduction but just keep an eye on them. she's eating good she nibbles her veggies likes her Oxbow pellets.sooo hopefully tonight I'll do introductions .IMAG0155.jpgIMAG0160.jpg

PandaPiggle

Cavy Slave
Aww yay!!! Such a cutie pie! Good luck with the intros :)

mdodge

Cavy Slave
Doing introductions right now so far it's been ok just a few squabbles. the food was a good distraction. arizona doesn't run around yams us running and doing all the mounting and but sniffing etc .seems like Arizona is just content. when she's had enough of yams she snips at her and when they do their head raise yams seems to back down.though when yams chases and mounts her she weeks real loud.right now I'm thinking yams is going to be the dominant one.my question is when should I feel comfortable to start preparing their cage.IMAG0162.jpgIMAG0163.jpg also whenever arizona pees yams licks it up is that normal?

mdodge

Cavy Slave
Is this a good sign yams came over and lied down next to her IMAG0166.jpg

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
How long have they been together? If they've been in the neutral area at least an hour and there haven't been any incidents, you could work on the cage.

Sows are usually pretty easy as far as introductions go. Occasionally you'll run into one that won't get along with others, but most times it's pretty much a non-event.

mdodge

Cavy Slave
It's been about an hr and 20 min.every now and then yams comes over sniffs her n mounts her she weeks they separate and the next 5 min or so are quite

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.