Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    3 Rec'd/3 Posts

Help!

My baby spunky has been really weird, he's gained lots of weight very quickly over the past few months and his hind legs and back are very sensitive. He recently started screaming in the middle of the night (not wheeking but actually screaming like he was in pain) scared me so bad. After an hour my boyfriend figured out he was screaming for food. He's been doing this and we try to ignore him because he has a pretty constant food supply but he won't stop screaming for hours at a time if you don't give him more food then he eats it all down really fast and does it again. We have tried not to reward this behavior but I'm getting really worried. Recently he has also gotten a small bump on his back its not a scab or a pimple like thing more like a mole? My other guinea pig always gets worried and tries to comfort him when he's screaming for food. Haven't heard him do this since I first got him as a baby and he had some tummy aches and mites. What could this be?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    3 Rec'd/3 Posts

Help!

This is spunky, first photo is when he started to gain weight the other photo was him with my bf about a month ago.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Quoted
    47 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    100 Rec'd/73 Posts

Re: Help!

I would take him to a good exotic vet

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    84 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    271 Rec'd/181 Posts

Welcome to the forums! The noises could be due to any number of things - What do you feed him? What brand of pellets, hay, veggies and how much? Do you give any treats and if yes which? Does he have a cage mate and what kind of cage is he in?

As for the mole I'm not sure, it could be a tick maybe or a small injury, maybe caused by parasites or something else? Is it black or skin toned? Do you think you could get a clear picture? It's hard to get an idea what it might be from your description @bpatters may have a better idea as I don't recall ever hearing about moles.
    Last edited by Fay; 06-06-15 at 06:49 am.

5. "Thank you, Fay, for this useful post," says:

Mentioned
    393 Post(s)
    Quoted
    773 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    1,243 Rec'd/995 Posts

Is the bump the size of a mole, or does it look like a mole?

I've only ever seen one guinea pig with a mole, and that wasn't raised and was right at the corner of his eye. It would be great if you could get a photo of the bump.

Mentioned
    491 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1005 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    2,342 Rec'd/1,699 Posts
    Blog Entries

Are you feeding unlimited hay? Are you sure they are both males?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    3 Rec'd/3 Posts

@lissie yes they have unlimited access to hay to the best of my ability. But sometimes he will down multiple huge handfuls by himself within 10 minutes and sometimes he will freak out while standing on the bottom layer of hay. Yes they are both male, spunky is the one who has had the most health issues and my other piggy is partially blind so they are very dependent on eachother

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    3 Rec'd/3 Posts

@foggycreekcavy it looks like a mole sort of I will try to get a picture when I get back home, he's very sensitive when it's touched but it isn't a scab and doesn't have any discharge or anything

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    3 Rec'd/3 Posts

Help!

@Fay thanks! He gets Timothy hay often we try to always have some in there, he eats fiber pellets mixed with a little bit of fiesta for a treat. He gets fruits and veggies around twice a week except lettuce which they get more often. He has a variety of treats we spread out depending on if he seems to be chewing a lot he has yogurt covered seeds, veggie and dried fruit mixes little things like that. He has a cage mate that was born the same time as him they have been raised together and are really dependent on eachother. He has a cage a little over half the length and the same width as a twin bed that they share. They have toys and chewy things and an igloo in there with them. The bump is black but he has dark skin I will try to get a picture as soon as I get back home. His cage mate pretty much never fights with him so it's not a bite and it doesn't scratch off like a scab, he's sensitive when it's touched but no discharge or anything.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    3 Rec'd/3 Posts

@Guinepig I plan to bring him soon, thought I would get some opinions here to see if it's just a feeding issue or something simple

12. "Thank you, recklessdoll, for this useful post," says:

Mentioned
    491 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1005 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    2,342 Rec'd/1,699 Posts
    Blog Entries

Veggies should be 1 cup per pig per day, everyday. Pet store treats are not healthy for them, especially those yogurt treats.

Pellets should be plain pellets, not fiesta mix.

Can you give them a large hay rack? Maybe the pile you gave them is not enough.
    See the hay rack gallery for ideas.
    http://www.guineapigcages.com/photos...hay-racks.html

These are some of my favorites.

Last edited by lissie; 06-07-15 at 02:04 am.

14. "Thank you, lissie, for this useful post," says:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    3 Rec'd/3 Posts

@lissie thanks, I'm going to try getting them a large hay rack and see if that helps. The bump I'll probably take him to the vet for. He's had Tummy and bloating issues since he was little, vet gave him some medicine last time he acted like this so I'm hoping its not that again and rather just him wanting more veggies and grass! The other piggy never complains but he also eats a lot less.

Cavy Slave
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Quoted
    21 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    62 Rec'd/51 Posts

Under diet and nutrition theirs a veggie and fruit chart of what's the best to give and amts.

17. "Thank you, mdodge, for this useful post," says:

Mentioned
    294 Post(s)
    Quoted
    700 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    1,441 Rec'd/992 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by recklessdoll View Post
    He has a variety of treats we spread out depending on if he seems to be chewing a lot he has yogurt covered seeds, veggie and dried fruit mixes little things like that.
    Ditch the yogurt covered seeds. Seeds are a choking hazard and contain high amounts of fat. Guinea pigs are lactose intolerant and should never have yogurt as it can cause digestion problems for them.

Also, skip the dried fruit mixes and just give occasional regular fruit instead. Dried fruit, depending on how it was dried can be high in sugars. Keep the treats natural. Make them fruits they don't get all the time. An occasional slice of strawberry, a few blueberries, a chunk of melon, etc.

19. "Thank you, CavyMama, for this useful post," says:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    3 Rec'd/3 Posts

Thanks everyone, I'm still a newer piggy momma. This is my second pair and I still have lots to learn.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    3 Rec'd/3 Posts

Turns out spunky just needed more veggies and he's having some allergies. He's doing great now!!

22. "Thank you, recklessdoll, for this useful post," says:

Cavy Slave
    Mentioned
    199 Post(s)
    Quoted
    415 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    524 Rec'd/459 Posts

Thanks for letting us know he is doing better since his diet has improved.

User Tag List