Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Stones Stones and Surgery

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Whew! I was worried....

Ghazee

Cavy Slave
So I went searching today and I can't find that reverse osmosis water anywhere :(

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
They sell it in my local grocery store. You can either buy it in their jugs, or take your own in and fill them. It's about 25 cents a gallon.

Ghazee

Cavy Slave
Do you buy it in those really LARGE blue jugs? Like the one you see at offices? (broken link removed)
And if I can't find those, could I get a certain type of Brita water filter?

Ghazee

Cavy Slave
Agent is now home and the cage is split in half with his cagemate. They're both on their side sniffing the other and trying to get to them. He's eating his hay but hasn't touched his new vegetables (guess he really LOVED romaine lettuce). I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt and letting him settle in and nap for the rest of the day. He perked up a lot once he was home and he heard his 'girlfriend' talking about how much she wanted a tomato.

sallyvh

Cavy Slave
Brita filters don't filter calcium out of the water so that won't do much for you.

At grocery stores near me I can get the water in either 4 or 8 litre jugs (1 or 2 gallons). I've never seen it in the large blue jugs but obviously products differ greatly based on where you live.

You're looking for water that has been demineralized and in the fine print it will say it's been demineralized by reverse osmosis. You should be able to find it in the water aisle at most grocery stores. Try a higher end grocery store, they should definitely have it. You just have to read through all the labels carefully until you fine what you're looking for.

I'm happy to hear Agent is doing well following his surgery!

Ghazee

Cavy Slave
Just a quick update: his poops are a little funny looking. When he first got home they were regular pellet shaped, but now they're long still but pointy at the ends and some are a little stringy. Could this be from the antibiotics? The vet didn't tell me about any probiotic (but Agent is eating some of the poops), but just to be safe I bought Bene-Bac. Should I post a picture of the poops to get a better input?

Ghazee

Cavy Slave
My pig is squeaking while peeing again and I think I found a calcium deposit in his urine, I felt the fleece and it was a little gritty on my fingers. I've had no luck finding any reverse osmosis water yet and my order of KMS is still on its way. I don't know what to do

Ghazee

Cavy Slave
And now he's making the same noises as if he is trying to pee, but nothing is coming out

sallyvh

Cavy Slave
If he's straining and no urine is coming out that is a medical emergency, his urethra could be blocked by a new stone.

If he is truly not passing urine I would be doing my best to find an emergency clinic with some exotics experience as it is extremely painful and lethal.

Poor little guy.

Amalee

Cavy Slave
@Ghazee

My pig went through the exact same thing. He had weird stringy bubbly poops. My new vet explained that was probably due to the antibiotic, and you need to do everything you can to deal with the possibility of bloat (https://www.guinealynx.info/emergency.html#bloat) He was also prescribed cisapride/propulsid by the first vet I took him to. He would sort of hunch over and cry and like he was pushing and straining and his anus was having extreme contractions. That may be a side effect if your pig is on that medication or a similar one. I'll let you know that I went to a NEW more experienced vet that prescribed the SAME medication that the first vet gave me. Exact same medication. Difference? Strength and dose amount. He didn't have ANY of those nasty side effects!

Ghazee

Cavy Slave
@Ghazee

My pig went through the exact same thing. He had weird stringy bubbly poops. My new vet explained that was probably due to the antibiotic, and you need to do everything you can to deal with the possibility of bloat (https://www.guinealynx.info/emergency.html#bloat) He was also prescribed cisapride/propulsid by the first vet I took him to. He would sort of hunch over and cry and like he was pushing and straining and his anus was having extreme contractions. That may be a side effect if your pig is on that medication or a similar one. I'll let you know that I went to a NEW more experienced vet that prescribed the SAME medication that the first vet gave me. Exact same medication. Difference? Strength and dose amount. He didn't have ANY of those nasty side effects!

He was on Polycitra and I had been reading the dosage wrong, I changed it and his poops went straight back to normal.

Ghazee

Cavy Slave
I'm wondering if all of the medication he's on could have an effect on his urine?

He's on Polycitra, Meloxidyl, Bactrim, and Tramadol

Last edited:
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.