Thread: Pig Won't Eat New Oxbow Vitamin C Tablets (HELP)

Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Question Pig Won't Eat New Oxbow Vitamin C Tablets (HELP)

Hello all!
    I have a pig (Lily) who is about 5 1/2 years old (sadly, her buddy Ginny passed recently). We've been feeding her Oxbow Daily C Tablets as a vitamin c supplement the whole time we've had her (about 4 1/2 years) with no trouble. We ran out a few days ago, but since Oxbow discontinued these tablets recently, we haven't been able to buy them. We bought the new Oxbow supplement
    (this one: http://www.petsmart.com/featured-sho...pfm%3Dcategory)
    but it's a completely different composition and she won't eat it. It's been days and she's definitely not getting her full Vitamin C diet--we've been giving her vegetables and fruit but it's not enough to actually supplement her diet. Since we can't get her to eat it, we're at a loss. We are not interested in giving her vitamin c drops in her water (for a lot of reasons, so please don't try to sway me on this) but may do this as an emergency last resort.

Is anyone else struggling with the Oxbow change, and if so, is there anything I can do to get her to eat these new tablets? What are your strategies??

Disclaimer: I know a lot of people will probably say, "you don't need to give her vitamin c if you give her vegetables, blah blah blah" and I agree that's probably somewhat true, but my pig is old and we've had her on a specific diet that has been recommended by vets and trusted animal experts. We give her pellets and hay, and a vegetable treat every night, and have been advised by people we trust to give her this vitamin c, as well as not to put it in her water. SO, I'm not interested in changing her diet, I really just want to find a way to get her to eat the new oxbow tablets, or find a suitable human supplement and find a way to get her to eat it.

Any advice you can give will be appreciated! Thank you!

Thanks
    Thanks
    7,226 Rec'd/5,756 Posts
    Mentioned
    2028 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3799 Post(s)

Re: Pig Won't Eat New Oxbow Vitamin C Tablets (HELP)

Putting vitamin drops in the water is never a good idea, so good for you for not doing it. You can, however, if you're so inclined, dilute them in a little water and maybe just a bit of fruit juice and syringe them to her.

You can also get Vita Drops liquid vitamin C and just sprinkle it on the veggies. Mine will take it like that. You can also sprinkle human supplements on the veggies. A children's chewable vitamin C might do the trick.

I wouldn't bother with the new Oxbow stuff. They jacked the calcium content up to the point that I think it's too high.

3. "Thank you, bpatters, for this useful post," say these 3 members:

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    21 Rec'd/19 Posts
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quoted
    37 Post(s)

I was thinking about doing the same with multivitamin for my pigs (mainly because I want them to have vit. D, and all the pellets on the market that I know are full of soy products, which I do not want them to have). How do I know they both got it? I could handfeed my little one (she is an outgoing one), but my possibly cuy piggie won't take veggies from me. She does take long hay strand from me though, maybe a few drops would be okay on hay?
    I do not want syringe feed them as I consider that inhumane, and would do that just in the critical condition.

Thanks
    Thanks
    7,226 Rec'd/5,756 Posts
    Mentioned
    2028 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3799 Post(s)

Inhumane? Mine come to the side of the cage and wheek for stuff out of syringes.

6. "Thank you, bpatters, for this useful post," say these 3 members:

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    21 Rec'd/19 Posts
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quoted
    37 Post(s)

Well, if they like it, then it is good, but force feeding an animal(or a human baby) is not my cup of tea.

Thanks
    Thanks
    686 Rec'd/593 Posts
    Mentioned
    184 Post(s)
    Quoted
    367 Post(s)

It took me a few days but I did find a vitamin C supplement that all of my pigs will eat. It's called Kangavites Vitamin C 100 mg tablets. I purchased it from Amazon. I have six pigs altogether and they each get a half of a tablet once a day. The tablets split pretty easily.
    My pigs absolutely loved the Oxbow Daily C. When I tried to switch them to the new vitamin C they all refused to eat them. I just ended up throwing the whole bottle away. Now that I see that the calcium is so high, I'm actually glad they didn't like them.

Thanks
    Thanks
    31 Rec'd/23 Posts
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quoted
    24 Post(s)

I don't think I've actually heard of anyone having to force-feed their piggies with a syringe. o.O And, for the record, I don't think anyone would be very comfortable force-feeding their animals. but sometimes it is necessary for the animal's sake.

Thanks
    Thanks
    1,440 Rec'd/991 Posts
    Mentioned
    292 Post(s)
    Quoted
    697 Post(s)

Folks, force feeding is sometimes necessary if a pig stops eating. It's not something you can just be hands off about and refuse. To do so would be condemning your pig to starve to death if they are not eating on their own. It is done with a syringe and if done correctly, it gets food into the stomach which is the desired result.

@Nazgul - if you have never heard of someone having to syringe feed, then you are lucky. You must not be around a lot of guinea pig people. If you stick around this forum long enough, you do hear about it.

@Easefirst - would it be your "cup of tea" to watch your pig starve to death because you don't like the idea of syringe feeding? Listen, little kids don't always like taking their medicine but you would do it - because you know what is best for them. It's the same thing here. No, it's not always the most pleasant but it could mean the difference between life & death for your pig. If they are not eating on their own, it's necessary to syringe feed them.
    Last edited by CavyMama; 06-02-15 at 04:10 am.

11. "Thank you, CavyMama, for this useful post," say these 2 members:

Thanks
    Thanks
    7 Rec'd/7 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    8 Post(s)

Some feed stores may still have some oxbow vitamin c tablets for sale.

Thanks
    Thanks
    1,243 Rec'd/995 Posts
    Mentioned
    393 Post(s)
    Quoted
    772 Post(s)

LilyPig, I'm curious about your pig's diet. Why is she on a special diet? When you say a vegetable treat, how many veggies are you talking about?

I like to use children's C chewable tablets. I quarter the 100 mg and crush it and sprinkle it on a piece of wet lettuce. Some pigs will eat the children's C, probably because it's sweet.

User Tag List