Thanks
    Thanks
    136 Rec'd/81 Posts
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Quoted
    56 Post(s)

Irrational fears

So I am TERRIFIED of frogs. Yes: no teeth having, hop away at the sound of someone approaching, frogs. I changed my fleece this morning but it was raining and I couldn't take the fleece outside to shake it out. It stopped raining this afternoon so I pushed my tote of fleece and my laundry basket out the back door. I stepped outside, and there it was in all its disgustingness: a frog. I usually freeze when I encounter frogs and my breathing gets heavy but this time I knew I had to make my legs move because this SOB was RIGHT THERE! So I make it back inside, unharmed, and I'm sitting there looking at my tote and laundry basket from the back door, thinking, "how the heck am I going to get my stuff? This frog-ninja has me trapped in the house." I tried to crack the door enough to get a pair of tongs outside to touch the frog to make it move, but it wouldn't budge. I put on hiking boots (because I felt a little safer than with shoes) and went out the front door, checking every single step I took for his relatives that I'm sure reside in my yard. I walked around to the back where my stuff was and STREEEEETCHED to grab it, staying as far away from the enemy as I could. Once I had my hands on each of the items I ran like I've never ran before. I placed my stuff on the front porch and then walked through the house to the closed back door and told the frog, "I win!" Of course I had to top it off with sticking my tongue out, like a 4 year old. It made me feel a little better doing that. Now I know frogs can't hurt me but I am just so scared of them. Does anyone else have completely irrational fears of strange things?

2. "Thank you, MLT2007, for this useful post," say these 2 members:

Thanks
    Thanks
    49 Rec'd/42 Posts
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    30 Post(s)

Re: Irrational fears

Oh my goodness! I love this! And I pictured it like a movie! Nicely done, Frog Defeater!!!!

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner ThePigAlchemist's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks
    865 Rec'd/698 Posts
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Quoted
    396 Post(s)

I used to be afraid of escalators when I was younger. Fortunately, spending enough time at airports has almost cured me of that one!

Thanks
    Thanks
    49 Rec'd/42 Posts
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    30 Post(s)

For me, it's balloons....knowing that they could pop unexpectedly at any moment, puts my nerves on edge!

Thanks
    Thanks
    28 Rec'd/21 Posts
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    10 Post(s)

Well, sort of. I've never been fond of butterflies, and I HATE moths. I wouldn't say I'm afraid of them, but something about the large wings and unpredictable flight paths does not agree with me. I don't bother them outside, but if a moth happens to make its way into my house I will immediately drop what I'm doing in order to undertake a seek and destroy mission on my winged foe. Something about knowing that there is a moth in my house just freaks me out and I can't accept it. No idea why.

All the more strange coming from someone who wishes he could go into the wolves' den at the zoo and play with them.

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    136 Rec'd/81 Posts
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Quoted
    56 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 3littlepigz View Post
    For me, it's balloons....knowing that they could pop unexpectedly at any moment, puts my nerves on edge!
    I know what you mean! I am not afraid of them, per se, but when I see a little kid squeezing one I am on edge too, until it pops.

8. "Thank you, MLT2007, for this useful post," says:

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    136 Rec'd/81 Posts
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Quoted
    56 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dashmo View Post
    Well, sort of. I've never been fond of butterflies, and I HATE moths. I wouldn't say I'm afraid of them, but something about the large wings and unpredictable flight paths does not agree with me. I don't bother them outside, but if a moth happens to make its way into my house I will immediately drop what I'm doing in order to undertake a seek and destroy mission on my winged foe. Something about knowing that there is a moth in my house just freaks me out and I can't accept it. No idea why.

All the more strange coming from someone who wishes he could go into the wolves' den at the zoo and play with them.
    I feel that way about birds. I think they're icky with their beaks and feet and all the bird things they do. I just picked up a dead moth this morning that I think met my cats.

Thanks
    Thanks
    271 Rec'd/181 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    84 Post(s)

I don't know why but praying mantis creep me out. I never seen one in real life but everytime I see a picture or video of one I feel like running away.

11. "Thank you, Fay, for this useful post," says:

Thanks
    Thanks
    498 Rec'd/400 Posts
    Mentioned
    125 Post(s)
    Quoted
    211 Post(s)

I am irrationally afraid of centipedes, if I see one I just take off! I can handle a lot of bugs and spiders but not centipedes at all!

Thanks
    Thanks
    7,204 Rec'd/5,737 Posts
    Mentioned
    2024 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3768 Post(s)

My mother was terrified of earthworms but totally fine with snakes. Go figure.

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner pinky's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks
    2,491 Rec'd/1,959 Posts
    Mentioned
    684 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1563 Post(s)

I've got to say I love frogs, toads and earthworms. I work out in my garden whenever I can and when I see earthworms, I know I have good soil in that spot. When I dig things out, I always make sure I remove the earthworms and put them back in the soil... Last week I saw a toad in front of my house. I was so excited, I picked her up (it was a female) and brought her in the house so my son could take a photo of her.

Thanks
    Thanks
    680 Rec'd/587 Posts
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Quoted
    361 Post(s)

Don't feel alone @MLT2007. I know several people who also have a real fear of frogs. One animal that really gives me the creeps is a raccoon. There is something about the way they just stand their ground when you try to shoo them away. Once in a while one will come into our yard at night and I refuse to go outside when it's there. I'm sure they are as afraid of me, as I am of them, but still I just can't be around them.

Thanks
    Thanks
    867 Rec'd/748 Posts
    Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    Quoted
    392 Post(s)

Irrational fears

I had to shoo a tree frog out of the recycling bin last week before I could carry the bin to the curb. The frog wouldn't move when I tapped near it but did when I nudged it. My sidewalk is lined with toads on summer evenings, one large one lives under/near my front porch, I call it Bob (although it may be a female?). I'm really freaked out by the idea of parasitic worms. Eeewww!

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    136 Rec'd/81 Posts
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Quoted
    56 Post(s)

@Rywen Yep, I'd be moving. I work midnights and can't stomach the thought of leaving my house in the dark to go to work, not being able to see those vile creatures. Speaking of parasitic worms, as a lab person, I had to take a parasitology class. It was by far the grossest part of my degree. Any time I have to go to the central laboratory, which is where the microbiology department is, I check out the jars of worms they have saved that have been removed from people. Some of them grow to several feet long.

Thanks
    Thanks
    867 Rec'd/748 Posts
    Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    Quoted
    392 Post(s)

@MLT2007 I recommend using a flashlight at night, that way you can see if any are in your path. My sister-in-law has a horrible fear of snakes. We can't even say "snake" in her presence (she calls it the worse "s" word, ). My undergrad degree is in Biology, so I had to survive the parasite section of zoology. I'm still traumatized more than 20 years later!

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner ThePigAlchemist's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks
    865 Rec'd/698 Posts
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Quoted
    396 Post(s)

When I was in undergrad I would occasionally put on Monsters Inside Me, and I always had to turn it off pretty quickly! Parasites are gross.

Thanks
    Thanks
    867 Rec'd/748 Posts
    Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    Quoted
    392 Post(s)

@ThePigAlchemist that is the grossest most traumatic show ever! I never even tried to watch it.

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    136 Rec'd/81 Posts
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Quoted
    56 Post(s)

I love Monsters Inside Me. I always try to guess the parasite when they are giving the story.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    90 Rec'd/79 Posts
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Quoted
    86 Post(s)

I'm afraid of scheduled meetings, especially interviews and doctor appointments. I get there and I'm fine, but the waiting... *shiver*

Thanks
    Thanks
    61 Rec'd/52 Posts
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)

I'm afraid of the electric kitchen mixer! You know the thing with the beaters for making cake and stuff... I'm okay with the stand ones, but I absolutely hate using the ones that you hold in your hand. I can do it, but the entire time I'm picturing fingers going between the beaters. I like whisks better, plus you get a nice workout! Also I'm afraid of the big kitchen knives, although I've been chopping watermelon to help reduce the fear and now I don't see quite as many severed fingers when I know I have to use it. I even made a watermelon bowl this weekend for a house party and filled it with chopped watermelon and it turned out beautifully!

User Tag List