Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: possible URI... should I take him to the vet???

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    113 Rec'd/82 Posts
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Quoted
    85 Post(s)

Re: possible URI... should I take him to the vet???

Alright I found bene bac at petco! I bought 2 sachets now getting some babyfood to mix with.
    Thanks again for all your help! :)
    hopefully this will all work out!

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner Agrimony's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks
    208 Rec'd/157 Posts
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quoted
    134 Post(s)

Hope everything is going alright on the antibiotics! If your bene-bac is the kind in the tube you can push forward, my pigs have both taken it fine straight, one serving is one notch. It is lightly flavored and they don't mind it. Just push slowly as it is thick.

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    113 Rec'd/82 Posts
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Quoted
    85 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Agrimony View Post
    Hope everything is going alright on the antibiotics! If your bene-bac is the kind in the tube you can push forward, my pigs have both taken it fine straight, one serving is one notch. It is lightly flavored and they don't mind it. Just push slowly as it is thick.
    the bene bac they had at the store is the powder form. on the back of the sachet it says to use 1 teaspoon for animals between 1 - 5lbs.... that seemed like a lot... I mixed that with some squash baby food and tried to give it to him with a tiny plastic spoon. when he didn't want to eat it like that, I added a little bit of water and fed him with a syringe. I got him to eat about 1/3 of it that way before he didn't cooperate anymore. is that still enough probiotics or should I try to get him to eat more today?

he seems okay otherwise so far, he was the first at the pellet bowl this morning when I fed them and I've seen him drink water twice since I got up an hour ago. it'll be interesting to see how well he takes on the antibiotics later.

Thanks
    Thanks
    7,242 Rec'd/5,769 Posts
    Mentioned
    2030 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3810 Post(s)

You should give him probiotics every time you give him antibiotics, about an hour or so afterward.

Dosing it is not an exact science. More won't hurt, but not enough may not get the job done.

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner Agrimony's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks
    208 Rec'd/157 Posts
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quoted
    134 Post(s)

I agree, its better to give a little too much than not enough.

One of my boys does great on antibiotics, doesn't affect his appetite or digestion in the least. It's completely possible your piggie does just fine as well. But it is better safe than sorry regarding the probiotics.

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    113 Rec'd/82 Posts
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Quoted
    85 Post(s)

... bit of a late update but I wanted to thank you for your help and advice in taking care of Bruce!
    we've got 1 more week of antibiotics ahead of us, so far he still seems to be taking to it fine, still eating and drinking, pooping and peeing, so keeping my fingers crossed it'll continue to go well for us. also keeping my fingers crossed that none of the other critters will develop an URI. he's not the biggest fan of the squash baby food but he's gotten much more cooperative with the syringe, and he knows he gets a treat at the end of it all, I'm thinking this motivates him haha.

Thanks
    Thanks
    49 Rec'd/42 Posts
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    30 Post(s)

That's great news! Thanks for the update! I have one piggy that was diagnosed with a URI and I didn't separate her from her cagemate. The cagemate never got a URI.

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    113 Rec'd/82 Posts
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Quoted
    85 Post(s)

.... alright so I'm back here for another update and with more questions unfortunately as Bruce's condition didnt improve after all even though it seemed it was at first....
    here's what happened:

the vet gave me 2wks worth of Baytril for Bruce. within a few days he cleared up considerably. I finished giving him that round of Baytril 2wks ago yesterday, thinking everything was all good again. well... couple days later... back to heavier breathing and sneezing we were :(

so I called the vet again and was given a refill of Baytril for another 2wks.... those are up now and not much has changed. some days he seems fine all day, then the next I notice his breathing is heavier. otherwise his behavior is normal. he eats, drinks, poops, pees and munches on veggies and his chew toy happily and wheeks when I get the veggies ready. it just seems that the Baytril is keeping the URI at bay rather than getting rid of it for good....

I'm waiting for a call back from the vet at the moment to discuss our options from here on out.
    However, I really wanted your opinions on all this as well before making a decision! should I get another refill of Baytril and just hope it'll do the job or try something else? if something else, what are my options realistically? we'll be out of town the weekend of the 4th as well soooo... yea... not sure how all this will work out.

Thanks
    Thanks
    7,242 Rec'd/5,769 Posts
    Mentioned
    2030 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3810 Post(s)

Sometimes it helps to give doxycycline in conjunction with Baytril. If Baytril isn't active against the organism that's causing the infection, it won't work. If it's only partly effective, then adding the doxy may do the trick.

The other thing they can do is to medicate him with a nebulizer. They can give much stronger antibiotics, like gentamycin, that way, because it doesn't directly affect their digestive tract. They get enough of the antibiotic that it can​ affect how much they eat, but it's much gentler on the intestines than the oral antibiotics are.

Is this an exotic vet?

User Tag List