Thread: Back to back pregnancy risks?

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Back to back pregnancy risks?

So I adopted my guinea pig Rojo in February, not knowing she was pregnant. I just thought she was fat until I found two babies in her cage in March. I had trouble sexing the babies, and was not completely sure of their genders until they were three weeks and three days old. I separated the boy then. Is there a possibility that Rojo could have gotten pregnant in those three days between the third week mark and the time I separated the boy? She has been rather lazy lately and she seems to be gaining weight. Also, I know that back to back pregnancies are never good. I know it is a lot more stressful on the mom, but I was wondering if there were any specific complications caused by back to back pregnancies that I could try to prevent or at least prepare myself for.
    I've read many other threads on possible pregnancies and such, but none mention specific risks and complications of back to back pregnancies.
    And I just want to be clear that I do not support breeding. I would never purposely have bred Rojo, and I do hope she's not pregnant again because I don't want to risk losing her. I just want to be prepared for if she is pregnant.
    Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Thanks
    Thanks
    7,330 Rec'd/5,842 Posts
    Mentioned
    2050 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3926 Post(s)

Re: Back to back pregnancy risks?

It's theoretically possible for her to be pregnant from a 24-day-old boar, but it's sure not likely. For signs of pregnancy, see http://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/...r-along-is-she.

Back-to-back pregnancies can leach a lot of calcium from the sow's bones. The pups get first dibs on it, and if she hasn't had time to recover from the first litter, she can be really drained by the second one. If she is pregnant, give her plenty of calcium-rich veggies. Also supplement vitamin C, as the pups also get first dibs on the nourishment, and she'll need it for herself too.

The second litter also feels the effects. The sow is depleted of minerals and energy, and so those pups don't get nourished as well as the first ones. But there's not really anything you can do for them except make sure the sow is well fed.

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Thank you @bpatters I guess I'm still just keeping an eye on her to see if she really is pregnant, but I'll make sure she gets plenty of veggies and vitamin C anyways. Thanks for the info!

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Thank you @bpatters I guess I'm still just keeping an eye on her to see if she really is pregnant, but I'll make sure she gets plenty of veggies and vitamin C anyways. Thanks for the info!

User Tag List