Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

General Do Guinea Pigs think you're a giant Guinea Pig?

CrazedHoosier

Cavy Slave
I just noticed this today, when I drink something while I'm chilling with the piggies, they become very interested and try to drink out of it too! Is it like the old cat thing where they think you're just a big clumsy cat, or do they know you aren't a piggy but they still accept you as a part of their herd?

mamaduck71

Cavy Slave
I will say my piggys are very curious.

pinky

Cavy Slave
I think they're interested in anything that might be food. As far as being part of the herd, I think they initially think of us as predators but once they start to trust us, it changes to them thinking of us a very welcome source of food.

mamaduck71

Cavy Slave
I can put anything in their cage and they have to investigate. Food or non-food. Make me giggle sometimes.

Nazgul

Cavy Slave
My piggies have definitely moved past the thinking I'm a 'predator' stage and moved right onto the final 'he's the giant hooman that gives us food!' stage. they'll happily run up to me, wheeking like crazy, but always expect me to be bringing them yummy things to eat.

they still hang around me even when I don't have food, though. but since they're not that into letting me pet them or anything yet, they just kind of stand there, sniffing, walking over my hands, etc. and then eventually run off.

they're a buncha fooddiggers, I tell ya'. Only love me for the stuff I bring 'em. :p

miniver

Cavy Slave
My girls think I'm from hotel services. If I'm cleaning the cage they just lie in their beds until I'm done. Then they come out and inspect my work, commenting to each other on the job I did. Next, they complain loudly when the kitchen is slow with their dinner order. I never get a tip or a thank you. lol

mufasa

Cavy Gazer
They think I'm a giant food dispenser, but they can't figure out why I have the annoying habit of rearranging their living space after they're gotten everything arranged to their satisfaction.

SquigglyPigs

Cavy Slave
Haha I had to laugh at the hotel service comment @miniver. My pigs are the same.
I think guinea pigs are a bit different than other animals that I've had. Dogs and rats both will accept you as a part of their pack, even though you are a human. Usually the human becomes the alpha in those situations. However with pigs, I don't think they accept you as a part of their herd. It's more like "If you give me lots of treats, I will tolerate most things you do to me and sometimes I will show you affection". But that just makes it so much more rewarding when they do give you affection!

AnnikasMommy

Cavy Slave
My girls think I'm from hotel services. If I'm cleaning the cage they just lie in their beds until I'm done. Then they come out and inspect my work, commenting to each other on the job I did. Next, they complain loudly when the kitchen is slow with their dinner order. I never get a tip or a thank you. lol

But they do "tip" us with magic beans... LOL Mine are the same way. As soon as I hit the front door from work the demanding starts. My daughter and I just laugh. My husband unbeknownst to me sneaks them snacks when he gets home. They are totally spoiled rotten. If they demand for too long my female lab will start nudging me to hurry up and get them fed. LOL

ClicknCavy

Cavy Slave
Most animals don't think of humans as a member of their own species. Guinea pigs have several cues to tell them who else is a guinea pig: Sound, scent, sight, and communication. Since we don't fit in with that, I think it's safe to say that they don't see us as Giant Guinea Pigs. I'd be leery of any training/taming method which assumes the animal sees us as a two legged version of itself.

My guinea girls follow me around the house, come when called, hop in my lap when I sit on the floor with them, climb into my hands, and do tricks. They are curious about whatever I'm doing. I'm definitely a well-cherished friend to both of them. They are also buddies with my boyfriend.

DSC08090.jpgDSC08114.jpgDSC08144.jpg

mufasa

Cavy Gazer
I love that facial expression in the last photo!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.