Thanks
    Thanks
    69 Rec'd/59 Posts
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Quoted
    35 Post(s)

Re: 3 full weeks of wood pellets

would pellets that are Douglas Fir be safe? as long as the aroma isn't strong? we are wanting to try them in the kitchen area

also, how many lbs do you think it would take just for a 1x2 section?

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    80 Rec'd/50 Posts
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quoted
    47 Post(s)

So it's been around 13 weeks now, with a one time partial refill, and I think next time the fleece needs changing I will have to change out the wood pellets. After stirring there is a lot of dust and not so much whole pellets anymore.
    I have one piggie in a cage which is 135x65cm (the actual inside space she can use). I used roughly 40 liters of pellets, with a one time extra of 10liter after scooping out dust.
    I think, without the refill, I will be able to go three months before doing a whole cage clean.

My girl, however, does love to burrow so there are a lot of poops that end up underneath the fleece. She sometimes goes as far as to pull the fleece aside so she can poop and pee on the pellets instead of on the fleece!

Thanks
    Thanks
    6,915 Rec'd/5,480 Posts
    Mentioned
    1953 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3547 Post(s)

It doesn't matter whether the pellets are still whole as long as they're dry.

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    6 Rec'd/5 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

After reading through this whole thread, I just picked up a bag of these at Petco - they're the only pellets I can find close to me. I think a trip to the Tractor Supply place about an hour away is in order this weekend though because this is $16 a bag and 1 bag isn't enough for my 2x4 let alone the 2x6 that is on the way. They have a VERY STRONG odor though and I'm hoping it airs out in the next day or two. But so far I already like it better than the fluffy stuff.

Name:  pellets1.PNG
Views: 292
Size:  531.9 KBThis is what the description says:
    Superior absorbency and odor control from a special blend of fresh aspen wood particles. Absorb ammonia, eliminate odors, and maintain a fresh, natural aroma. Resists mold growth. Will not stick to cage or leave a messy residue.

• Does not contain cedar or pine
    • Does not contain cedar or pine
    • Green Pet Aspen Supreme Pellets Pet & Bird All Natural Litter & Bedding, 7.4 liters
    • Special blend of fresh aspen wood particles is 100% organic and biodegradable
    • Absorbs ammonia, eliminate odors and maintains a fresh, natural aroma
    • Resists mold growth
    • Resists mold growth
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	aspen pellets.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	80.7 KB 
ID:	79341  

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    5 Rec'd/5 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mamaduck71 View Post
    I am using the same as Cavyguy. I got it from Tractor Supply. They also had this:

http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/stor...-pellets-20-lb

as well as this:

http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/stor...-horse-bedding

Has anyone used either of them. Peeked my curiosity.
    I use the horse pellets for my boys' litter box and while the smell is a little much at first, it goes away within about an hour. I haven't tried the other pellets you posted here as our TS doesn't carry them.
    Until I found this thread, I hadn't thought about using them under the fleece. I might try that at the next cage cleaning as I have just bought a new bag of pellets.

User Tag List