Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Wood Pellets/Chips 3 full weeks of wood pellets

peachyteen

Cavy Slave
would pellets that are Douglas Fir be safe? as long as the aroma isn't strong? we are wanting to try them in the kitchen area

also, how many lbs do you think it would take just for a 1x2 section?

SardonicSmile

Cavy Slave
So it's been around 13 weeks now, with a one time partial refill, and I think next time the fleece needs changing I will have to change out the wood pellets. After stirring there is a lot of dust and not so much whole pellets anymore.
I have one piggie in a cage which is 135x65cm (the actual inside space she can use). I used roughly 40 liters of pellets, with a one time extra of 10liter after scooping out dust.
I think, without the refill, I will be able to go three months before doing a whole cage clean.

My girl, however, does love to burrow so there are a lot of poops that end up underneath the fleece. She sometimes goes as far as to pull the fleece aside so she can poop and pee on the pellets instead of on the fleece!

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
It doesn't matter whether the pellets are still whole as long as they're dry.

FionaMae

Cavy Slave
After reading through this whole thread, I just picked up a bag of these at Petco - they're the only pellets I can find close to me. I think a trip to the Tractor Supply place about an hour away is in order this weekend though because this is $16 a bag and 1 bag isn't enough for my 2x4 let alone the 2x6 that is on the way. They have a VERY STRONG odor though and I'm hoping it airs out in the next day or two. But so far I already like it better than the fluffy stuff.

pellets1.PNGThis is what the description says:
Superior absorbency and odor control from a special blend of fresh aspen wood particles. Absorb ammonia, eliminate odors, and maintain a fresh, natural aroma. Resists mold growth. Will not stick to cage or leave a messy residue.

• Does not contain cedar or pine
  • Does not contain cedar or pine
  • Green Pet Aspen Supreme Pellets Pet & Bird All Natural Litter & Bedding, 7.4 liters
  • Special blend of fresh aspen wood particles is 100% organic and biodegradable
  • Absorbs ammonia, eliminate odors and maintains a fresh, natural aroma
  • Resists mold growth
  • Resists mold growth

Attachments

aspen pellets.jpg

prila13

Cavy Slave
I am using the same as Cavyguy. I got it from Tractor Supply. They also had this:

(broken link removed)

as well as this:

(broken link removed)

Has anyone used either of them. Peeked my curiosity.

I use the horse pellets for my boys' litter box and while the smell is a little much at first, it goes away within about an hour. I haven't tried the other pellets you posted here as our TS doesn't carry them.
Until I found this thread, I hadn't thought about using them under the fleece. I might try that at the next cage cleaning as I have just bought a new bag of pellets.

helennhazel

Cavy Slave
hi i?ve just read a lot into this thread & just wanted to see if i?m understanding this right!!

the wood pellets go UNDER a fleece & the urine goes into the pellets? what about poop?

this seems like an awesome idea ? where does one get wood pellets??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

helennhazel

Cavy Slave
89992ca9ea9f8983c9e5577988987045.jpg

is this them

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Be VERY careful about wood fuel pellets. Many of them have accelerants added, and are not safe for guinea pigs. Check the label on the package carefully. I had to stop buying pellets from Tractor Supply because I couldn't get them without accelerants.

The safest place to buy them is to get horse stall bedding. Then, all you have to worry about is whether the stuff has a strong pine odor. Most does not, but get someone to stick a hole in a bag and let you check before you buy it. I use TerrAmiga horse stall bedding.

You have to shake the poop and hay (and sometime brush the hay) off the fleece, and then wash it.

helennhazel

Cavy Slave
9c9cb722908a33a627b73f45ce843b54.jpg

like this

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Yes, like that, IF the pellets don't smell strongly of pine. You're not going to know whether they're suitable until you get some clerk to punch a hole in the bag and let you smell them.

helennhazel

Cavy Slave
do u break them up or put them in whole

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Put them in whole.

helennhazel

Cavy Slave
okay I did and I bought a blanket from walmart and put it on top hoping for success

helennhazel

Cavy Slave
also, if the pellets have a pine odor, will it hurt the pigs?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Yes, a pine odor will hurt the pigs. My post above, (broken link removed) , says you can only use them if they don't smell strongly of pine. If they do, throw them out or use them for mulch, but don't use them for bedding.

helennhazel

Cavy Slave
they don?t smell STRONGLY, just lightly.

helennhazel

Cavy Slave
how will it hurt them

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
The phenols (volatile oils) in the pine cause lung and liver damage over time. And they can also cause bumblefoot.

Ccualumni

Cavy Slave
After seeing a video online I started reading the site about putting something under my fleece.

For my fleece, we have the haul blanket sewn between the fleece. We bought it from a vendor we found here, but I forget which one.

Since we have the absorbent liner, should I put the horse pine bedding under my fleece? Is the horse pine bedding the best thing to put under my fleece? What exactly does it do or what is it for?

My pigs poop will sometimes get under the fleece, especially in my upper section as the fleece is not an exact fit. If I put the horse bedding under the fleece, the guinea pigs can get to it in the top section and their poop will mix with it. Do you just leave the poop in the horse bedding? If I have to remove the poop from the horse bedding, it seems like a waste. Would I only need to remove/replace the horse bedding where poop mixed in with it?

thanks

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Pellets serve as the absorbent layer. You don't need uhaul blankets if you use them.

I put a layer of light fleece over the pellets because it's easier to get the hay and piles of poop out. But I just stir whatever is left in with the pellets.

By using the fleece, I very seldom have to change the pellets. I'm actually coming up on a year of using pellets without replacing them. No odor whatsoever.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.