Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Wood Pellets/Chips 3 full weeks of wood pellets

megakamattsmom

Cavy Slave
I think for a 2x3 you can use one bag.

I did, however, the wood pellets sucked! They were most likely stored in a damp warehouse. It was sawdust, so I opted for pine pellets instead.

mamaduck71

Cavy Slave
Just finished tossing the cell...They are on wood pellets now. Gonna test it out and see if works for us. I have a slightly bigger then 2x3 and 1 bag was enough to fill the bottom. Does anyone think the wood pellets are cooler then having uhaul/fleece? I have noticed that both my non-boring piggies have become borers. I am thinking they are trying to get to past the uhaul/fleece which might make them hot. I will see after a week is up.

Thanks everyone for eveyone's input.

I did a my 1st full pellet change out. Almost lasted 2 months. I think I would have gone longer, but I added a different brand of pellet and I did not like the quality of it, so purchased a fresh bag of TSC wood pellets and cleaned out the cage good. Still very happy with wood. Wood is Good!

FoxOfShadows

Cavy Slave
how many bags for a 2x5 cage and how big of a piece of fleece?

@lunarminx how long does the pellet/mini flake combo last before you have to change out the whole cage?

wombats

Cavy Slave
@FoxOfShadows One 40 lb bag of pellets fills my 2x3 to a 1 1/2" - 2" layer, with a plastic grocery bag's worth of extra. So I'd say 2 bags. You'd have some extra, but that's not a bad thing, and if it cost as much as mine do it's only $12. (Compare that to one large bag of carefresh at over $15 here)

Not sure how much fleece you'd need, though...I think it depends on if you want to have enough to binder clip it to the edges or not. But even then I don't know if it needs to be the same size as the interior, or a bit larger.

mamaduck71

Cavy Slave
Fleece is a a visual preference. Some owners want it perfect and flat, it will go up the side of the coro and then binder clip it to the coro. Me, I do really dont care. My fleece fits the bottom of the 2x3 and I lay it flat. Yea i can see the wood pellets underneath, no biggy to me. Sometimes when I am doing a spot clean I will pick up a corner of fleece and shake all the stuff to one area and I just pick it all up there.

Paige1234

Cavy Slave
I was able to find wood pellets at Lowes. From reading the ingredients, I dont see any additives! How many inches of pellets did you use? I have a 2X3 and a 2x3.5 cage.
Could you possibly take a picture of the bag or find a picture of it from Lowes so I can see if a Lowes around where I live carry it. Please. It would be much appreciated. I'm using freshworld bedding from the pet store and I was spending any where from $21 to $24 for it now they raised the price BIG time now it's like $34ish. I have 2 piggies so I have to change it often. But with the wood I'm seeing you dont have to. So a picture would help in finding the wood pellets around here. Thanks again

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
The brand at one Lowe's may not be the brand at another. And no Lowe's is likely to have them this time of year, because they sell them for pellet stoves, usually in the winter.

You don't want barbecue pellets -- they're way too expensive.

If you google "wood pellets" and then click on images, you'll see several brands in sacks. You can also google "wood pellets horse bedding" (without the quotes) and see the same sort of thing.

You just have to be careful that the stove pellets don't contain any accelerants and that the stall bedding doesn't smell strongly of pine.

Paige1234

Cavy Slave
Oh okay. Thank you. I'm going to do that bc I need cheaper bedding when you spend like $30 every month or sooner it adds up quick.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I spend about $13 every 10 weeks, or longer.

Paige1234

Cavy Slave
O: I need to find what you have.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I get mine at a feed store. TerrAmigo stall bedding.

Paige1234

Cavy Slave
I'm going to google TerrAmigo stall bedding and see if anyone here carries it

megakamattsmom

Cavy Slave
I hated the Lowes wood pellets, the bags I got were stored in a damp place and was unusable. It would have cost more in gas and time to take it back. I used what I could and put the rest in the garden as mulch. I have been using Feline Pine over the past month. I LOVE IT. It works just like the Kaytee Wood Pellets and is MUCH cheaper. There is also a coupon on you can use on their website or coupons.com. I have also tried the Exquisicat Naturals from PetSmart as well and recommend both. Neither has a strong pine smell, easy clean up as well. [h=1][/h]

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Feline pine is eight times as expensive as what I buy. I don't see the price advantage of that over something much lighter, like Carefresh.

Paige1234

Cavy Slave
I hated the Lowes wood pellets, the bags I got were stored in a damp place and was unusable. It would have cost more in gas and time to take it back. I used what I could and put the rest in the garden as mulch. I have been using Feline Pine over the past month. I LOVE IT. It works just like the Kaytee Wood Pellets and is MUCH cheaper. There is also a coupon on you can use on their website or coupons.com. I have also tried the Exquisicat Naturals from PetSmart as well and recommend both. Neither has a strong pine smell, easy clean up as well. [h=1][/h]
Are you supposed to use cat liter? Won't that harm a guinea pig? I heard its bad but idk. Not being one of those people like noo you shouldn't use those blah blah blah. Just wanna make sure its absolutely safe for my piggies.

megakamattsmom

Cavy Slave
Feline pine is eight times as expensive as what I buy. I don't see the price advantage of that over something much lighter, like Carefresh.

I can't get wood pellets in NYC. No horse or tractor stores. Lowes was a disaster and 15 miles away from my home. Feline pine is 5.99 with a coupon for 20 lbs., that's cheaper than Care Fresh and less smelly and messy. Your lucky to get it cheaper, but not in the Big Apple,

megakamattsmom

Cavy Slave
Are you supposed to use cat liter? Won't that harm a guinea pig? I heard its bad but idk. Not being one of those people like noo you shouldn't use those blah blah blah. Just wanna make sure its absolutely safe for my piggies.

It's the same ingredients as the Kaytee pellets for small animals. I have fleece over the pellets.

Paige1234

Cavy Slave
It's the same ingredients as the Kaytee pellets for small animals. I have fleece over the pellets.
Okay. Then i think I might give it a try then. :) thank you.

Paige1234

Cavy Slave
Can i just use feline pine just as it is or do I have to put it under fleece? Just as is would be okay since you said it is the same ingredients as the kaytee pellets.

lissie

Cavy Slave
You can use without fleece. Most people here prefer to use with fleece because it's easier to remove poop from the cage.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.