Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Wood Pellets/Chips 3 full weeks of wood pellets

jrv4babies

Cavy Slave
Just wanted to chime in to say that I was lucky enough (due to this forum) to start with pellets from the get go when I brought home my first piggie last November. Love them. Never a smell. They are right in the living room with us. My husband is not a pet lover like I am, and would be quite cranky about smell, or noise from them running around on them, and he never complains about either.

I use one 40 pound bag in my 2 x 4 C&C cage. I actually have a 2 x 3 with a 1 x 2 kitchen attached. I choose to change the pellets weekly in the kitchen. The rest of the cage I do once every several weeks. I usually keep a layer fleece on top in the main part of the cage, and just open pellets in the kitchen. However we just got a new washing machine and it sucks cleaning the fleece. �� So I might just stick with plain pallets from now on.

megakamattsmom

Cavy Slave
I am a recent wood pellet convert. I have FUF cage liners and pellets covered with uhaul in the kitchen. I sift the wet spots nightly, and recycle the unused pellets.

Amanda Marie

Cavy Slave
How many lbs for a 3x6? is it ok to use just wood pellets with no fleece? i started a forum about it.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I'd put 40-60 pounds in a 3x6. It really just depends on how often you want to add pellets. The more you've got in there, the fewer times you have to change them out.

Nazgul

Cavy Slave
Our feed store was nearly out of pellets when we first picked up a bag, so right now I only have 40 pounds in a 2x4 + 2x2 loft. It.. works, but I definitely think that 60 pounds would have worked better for me and it is what I'll be using from now on.

And once we expand to a 2x5 (possibly even an L-shaped 2x6, fingers crossed..), though, I'll definitely try using 2 bags. (so 80 pounds in total)

mamaduck71

Cavy Slave
Decided to a clean. I am sold on pellets. I mixed up the ones that turned sawdusty with fresh pellets from other areas. Put a fresh layer of fleece and I good to go. When we go on this trip, it's gonna be ruff going back to uhaul/fleece. If anyone is thinking about doing wood pellets, I say try it out first and see if works for you. I am sure it will.

wombats

Cavy Slave
Wowzas! This has been a fantastic resource when it comes to all things wood pellets...at first I was a bit iffy about wood pellets as bedding, but honestly I'm sold. If they work as well as everyone says, this is fantastic information.

I'm thinking of trying wood pellets in my 2x3 when we stop at the local feed store this week, but I'm wondering, is it unwise to use pellets all by themselves, with no fleece? I'm worried that might be too hard on my guinea pig's feet, you see. I'd personally love to use fleece, but my parents are being strange about having to wash fabric with guinea pig waste on it in our washer, so it's out of the question. As such, is there another option besides fleece? Like...if it's too hard surface for piggy footsies, could I put a layer of a softer bedding on top (such as carefresh or aspen shavings) instead?

mamaduck71

Cavy Slave
I shake out the fleece before I wash it. No poop in the washer in this house. Urine is taken care of by the bleach. I would recommend to put a layer or two of fleece on top of the wood pellets. I am not sure about using bare pellets, and not sure how carefresh would work. Good Luck and let us know how it works out for you.

Thanks again @CavieGuy for posting the video!

megakamattsmom

Cavy Slave
I sift my pellets. I only have them in the kitchen. Living in NYC, there are no feed stores, horse stables or big box stores that carry wood pellets. I have to order from PetSmart. Though I love the pellets, it's cheaper and time saving to sift out every other day. I cover them with a piece of uhaul liner, but may use fleece on my next cage redo. I like this video.
https://youtu.be/JXZjMUfXvck
Can though I buy the Kaytee pellets, will cat pellets work?

lunarminx

Cavy Slave
How many lbs for a 3x6? is it ok to use just wood pellets with no fleece? i started a forum about it.

I would add 3, I just added 2 40lb bags and it didn't seem deep enough. The next full change will be 3 bags going in, my sons hate me.

lunarminx

Cavy Slave
Wowzas! This has been a fantastic resource when it comes to all things wood pellets...at first I was a bit iffy about wood pellets as bedding, but honestly I'm sold. If they work as well as everyone says, this is fantastic information.

I'm thinking of trying wood pellets in my 2x3 when we stop at the local feed store this week, but I'm wondering, is it unwise to use pellets all by themselves, with no fleece? I'm worried that might be too hard on my guinea pig's feet, you see. I'd personally love to use fleece, but my parents are being strange about having to wash fabric with guinea pig waste on it in our washer, so it's out of the question. As such, is there another option besides fleece? Like...if it's too hard surface for piggy footsies, could I put a layer of a softer bedding on top (such as carefresh or aspen shavings) instead?

I use mini flakes on top, they will have them at the feed store too.

mamaduck71

Cavy Slave
What is mini flakes? Sounds like cereal.

lunarminx

Cavy Slave
What is mini flakes? Sounds like cereal.

Its a very fine bedding. My feed store nick named it saw dust. BUT its not! I get the America choice brand wood pellet and mini flakes, that is what Bowmans sell, the feed store I shop at. I just scoop the wet mini flake areas ( mainly corners and under hay piles.
(broken link removed)

CavieGuy

Cavy Slave
It has been 9 weeks today since I change my wood pellets. I'm thinking of changing out the wood pellets on the 10 th week. Still no smell.

Easefirst

Cavy Slave
That is amazing. So they probably could go for three months. And then they would make a wonderful mulch/fertilizer for the garden.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I got 11 weeks out of mine, and only changed them because I was adopting a new pig and needed a thoroughly cleaned cage.

Easefirst

Cavy Slave
That is almost 3 months! 4 months anyone? :)

megakamattsmom

Cavy Slave
I was able to find wood pellets at Lowes. From reading the ingredients, I dont see any additives! How many inches of pellets did you use? I have a 2X3 and a 2x3.5 cage.

CavieGuy

Cavy Slave
I was one day shy of 11 weeks. I ended up changing the wood pellets yesterday :)

CavieGuy

Cavy Slave
I was able to find wood pellets at Lowes. From reading the ingredients, I dont see any additives! How many inches of pellets did you use? I have a 2X3 and a 2x3.5 cage.

I think for a 2x3 you can use one bag.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.