Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 186

Thread: 3 full weeks of wood pellets

  1. #1

    3 full weeks of wood pellets

    It was cage cleaning time and I wanted to show everyone how 3 full weeks of wood pellets look like in the cage. I forgot who introduce me to the wood pellets on this forum, but I love using them. They are a miracle!!!

    https://youtu.be/zgk6jPJ6JhI

  2. #2

    Re: 3 full weeks of wood pellets

    I'm doing a test at the moment to see how long they'll last. I'm at 10+ weeks and still going.

    Disclaimer: I have a LARGE cage (16+ square feet), and I put at least three inches of pellets in it.

  3. #3

    Re: 3 full weeks of wood pellets

    Quote Originally Posted by bpatters View Post
    I'm doing a test at the moment to see how long they'll last. I'm at 10+ weeks and still going.

    Disclaimer: I have a LARGE cage (16+ square feet), and I put at least three inches of pellets in it.
    I've notice during the 8th week that some of the pellets are still good and think it can last longer but been going by the norm on how they should last according to others on the forum. I would love to go longer. How many bags fo you use? I only have a 2x7 C&C but will be expanding once the move happens

  4. #4

    Re: 3 full weeks of wood pellets

    I usually use about a bag and a half.

  5. #5

    Re: 3 full weeks of wood pellets

    I'm going to buy my first bag(s) of wood pellets this weekend. How many lbs is in one of your bags, [MENTION=13820]bpatters[/MENTION]? A place near me sells 50 lb bags. So curious how many I should buy at first. I'm planning to get a 2x4 with a 1x2 loft.

  6. #6

    Re: 3 full weeks of wood pellets

    Also [MENTION=28640]CavieGuy[/MENTION], thank you so much for posting this video! I've been curious and having a visual helped a ton.

  7. #7

    Re: 3 full weeks of wood pellets

    All I've ever had come in 40 pound bags.

  8. #8

    Re: 3 full weeks of wood pellets

    Ok great. So you use approx. 60 lbs each time you change it. Thanks!! That helps a lot.

  9. #9

    Re: 3 full weeks of wood pellets

    One the corner that they pee in, I scoop that out and move the pellets around/stir. That way, I am slowly getting rid of some of the waste, a bit at a time. But yeah I have to hand to bpatters, as I remember, she was the first I ever saw mentioning them. I have read where some are sifting them out to keep just the good pellets after 6-8 weeks and adding fresh to them.

  10. #10

    Re: 3 full weeks of wood pellets

    Quote Originally Posted by labeadel View Post
    Ok great. So you use approx. 60 lbs each time you change it. Thanks!! That helps a lot.
    For a 2x4 C&C, I think 40 lbs is okay. I use 2 40 lbs for mine, but I have a 2x7

  11. #11

    Re: 3 full weeks of wood pellets

    So you put the fleece right over the pellets, correct? How many layers of fleece do you use? I would love to see a video of the fleece ontop of the pellets and the piggys on the fleece. In my mind I am picturing lumpy off balance walking.

  12. #12

    Re: 3 full weeks of wood pellets

    Quote Originally Posted by mamaduck71 View Post
    So you put the fleece right over the pellets, correct? How many layers of fleece do you use? I would love to see a video of the fleece ontop of the pellets and the piggys on the fleece. In my mind I am picturing lumpy off balance walking.
    That is correct. Just one layer of fleece.

    Here is a video of my cage...underneath the fleece is wood pellets.

    https://youtu.be/BaqBHN-9K2o

  13. #13

    Re: 3 full weeks of wood pellets

    One layer of fleece. And mine is really thin fleece -- works better than the thicker stuff.

  14. #14

    Re: 3 full weeks of wood pellets

    Thanks for posting that. I would have never thought there were pellets underneath. Looks stable and smooth. So per your video you said you are 3+ weeks in with the pellets. When do you change out the fleece? Once a week?? I am assuming the pellets are heavy and need good support underneath.

  15. #15

    Re: 3 full weeks of wood pellets

    The pellets are very heavy. I put 60 pounds of pellets in mine.

    The floor is very even. And when they've peed on it for about a week, it flattens out and you can actually just sweep the top. I do that a couple of times, then stir again.

    With two pigs, I changed the fleece every 3-4 days. Now that I'm down to one, I'll probably be able to go a week.

  16. #16

    Re: 3 full weeks of wood pellets

    Quote Originally Posted by mamaduck71 View Post
    Thanks for posting that. I would have never thought there were pellets underneath. Looks stable and smooth. So per your video you said you are 3+ weeks in with the pellets. When do you change out the fleece? Once a week?? I am assuming the pellets are heavy and need good support underneath.

    I change the fleece once a week, the wood pellets every 8 weeks (some say it can go longer).

    I have 80 lbs of wood pellets that sits on top of an IKEA table : http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/pr...70/#/S49932670 , other have their cages on top of grid square stand using wood pellets.

  17. #17

    Re: 3 full weeks of wood pellets

    Thanks for all the info. I have 2x3 grid c and c. I am wondering if 40 pounds would be enough.

  18. #18

    Re: 3 full weeks of wood pellets

    That's between 8 and 9 square feet. I use 60 pounds in a 16+ square foot cage.

  19. #19

    Re: 3 full weeks of wood pellets

    I'm curious, how well do the pellets control odor? And are they dusty at all (doesn't look like it but just wondered)?

    We're using Care Fresh bedding right now but thinking of switching to fleece or perhaps this method.

  20. #20

    Re: 3 full weeks of wood pellets

    Quote Originally Posted by Dashmo View Post
    I'm curious, how well do the pellets control odor? And are they dusty at all (doesn't look like it but just wondered)?

    We're using Care Fresh bedding right now but thinking of switching to fleece or perhaps this method.
    Well, I have 6 guinea Pigs in one cage, and I smell the hay than the urine (meaning I don't smell the urine from my piggies at all). You have fleece covering the wood pellets so no dust. The only time it is dusty (not really dusty) is when you replace the wood pellets which I do every 8 weeks.

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •