Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Sick Can pig catch cold/when pregnant?

emilygn

Cavy Slave
So I have a heavily pregnant piggie by the name of Athena who is due any day now, but I am concerned because both my sister and I have caught a cold, and are wondering if that can make her sick? I'm pretty sure if its viral there is no problem, but my sister is prone to infections like sinus and whatnot especially after colds so I am worried that as she's been handling her she could possibly make her sick, especially with her low immune system and the fact that we had to treat her for mange two weeks ago. Am I just being over-worried, or is this something to be concerned about?

Thank you!

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I doubt that your pig will catch anything from you, but you should be careful. Wash your hands before handling her (if she's heavily pregnant, you shouldn't handle her anyway), and don't sneeze or cough on her.

pinky

Cavy Slave
Bacterial infections can be spread to your guinea pig. Viruses are usually species specific.

emilygn

Cavy Slave
Thank you! The handling is at a minimum, I was just referring to petting her and letting her groom us, as she loves to do that the more pregnant she gets. I'll just make sure my non-sick siblings fully take care of her for a little while, despite their protests. Thanks!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.