Thread: Older Guinea pig nipping new one! Help!

Cavy Slave
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts

Older Guinea pig nipping new one! Help!

I just got a new 6 week old, baby guinea pig, Jinx, (this time from a really good lady who rescues) to be bonded with my 5 month old guinea pig, Kitty. I read up on it 24/7 and I thought everything would go good but I was ready for if it didn't.

First, I kept Jinx in a different room, in a C&C 2/4, for 2 weeks and 3 days. In that time she ate tons of veggies (she likes a lot of different stuff on like Kitty) and was perfectly healthy.

Second, I got new fleece and picked an area where neither of the pigs have been. Then, put them together. At first both Kitty and Jinx were really exited to see another pig. Then, they did the usual who is boss thing. Jinx at first tried to be boss but gave up after a few seconds and all was good. They even ate veggies together and cuddled for 10 minutes.(I'll post pic of them cuddling)
    I separated them, moving Jinx's cage next to Kitty's so they could talk(they did lots of it!) and smell each other but could not bite each other.

The next day, I did the same thing but this time Kitty nipped Jinx a few times. No hair was pulled and no blood but Jinx did make a high pitch sound but did not run away. From then on I watched very carefully. They cuddled without any problems and smelled each others butts a few times. Then, out of no were Kitty would nip again. It begin to worry me but I left them together. After around 5 minutes, I separated into different cages again.

Today, I did the same thing as before and again Kitty nipped Jinx a few times. She even kind of chased her after nipping. After the chasing Jinx would make the high pitch sound ever time Kitty got really close to her. I'm guessing she just thought she would be nipped. This has me really worried cause I already fell in love with Jinx and I want them to be friends.

I don't know if this is normal and over time it will stop, so if you know I would love to hear your advice!

Mentioned
    2123 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4124 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    7,565 Rec'd/6,047 Posts

Re: Older Guinea pig nipping new one! Help!

Well, you need to read how to do introductions before you try it again. It's very stressful on the pigs to be introduced and then separated. You should introduce at a time when you've got several hours to devote to it, and they should then be placed in the permanent cage where they'll live, and which has been thoroughly cleaned and smells nothing at all like either pig. See http://guinea-pigs.livejournal.com/3002707.html for how to do it.

Second, the nipping and chasing is totally normal, and you'll just have to grit your teeth and endure it. They have to work out which one is going to be the dominant pig. It may be the older, it may be the younger, and it may change over time. But if you interfere, you'll just slow the whole process down and make it more stressful on them.

3. "Thank you, bpatters, for this useful post," says:

Cavy Slave
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts

Here is Jinx!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	002.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	192.7 KB 
ID:	74218

And Kitty(big ginger colored) and Jinx (smaller) cuddling on the first night! As you can tell Kitty is much bigger then Jinx but that did not stop Jinx from trying to be boss for a few seconds!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	001.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	205.2 KB 
ID:	74219

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    10 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    23 Rec'd/23 Posts
    Blog Entries

Like @bpatters has said you really should dedicate several hours or i would suggest at least a day or two to introduce them and then place them in the cage they will be living in, as when you introduce then separate its like they are meeting one another for the first time, and they have to work out who is boss again and it can be stressful. I my experience (5years) This can in some cases cause them to have more of the dominant behavior as they keep having to start over and it can take longer for them to bond and for things to calm down. I would suggest that you introduce them full time, then transfer them in the new cage, with 3 food bowls, 3 water bottles, and 3 hay racks or piles. This can stop any food domanice that may occur. Most important thing is to stay calm and know all the common bonding behaviors and only intervene when blood is drawn or if you notice one or the other is not eating. There are plenty of good bonding websites and forums so check those out to, then find some time to dedicate to putting them together full time and then see how it progresses. I hope this helps, good luck

6. "Thank you, Amanda Marie, for this useful post," says:

User Tag List