Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

C&C Not sure what size cage to build

gpigsrock

Cavy Slave
I bought 34 cubes today, and I plan on making a C&C cage within two months. I currently have three guinea pigs, Roxie, Velvet, and Ginny. None of them have been completely introduced and bonded yet, but Roxie and Ginny get along the best so far. Velvet tends to bully Ginny and Roxie, so I definitely want to get Ginny and Roxie in a cage together, since they're all in pet store cages right now. Velvet is in a cage the size of a 2x3 C&C, so she can stay alone if she needs to, but I would like to get at least the other two bonded. Currently, none of the piggies really know or like each other yet, so I will work on that for sure, but eventually I would like them all to get along. What would be the best size cage for them? I am not opposed to having a 2nd level if needed, but it is currently quite difficult to decide what I need. I have not had a C&C cage before (we had one a long time ago, but I was under the age of 10, so I didn't really know what it was haha) and I am not sure if it would be best to make a 2x4, 2x5, or something else entirely. I'm mainly concerned about the size because I'd like to order coroplast only once and not have to buy any more grids. The cage would need to be big enough for 2-3 piggies.

lissie

Cavy Slave
2x5 would be fine for 3 pigs. Go bigger if you have more space.

Introduction should be one and done. If you keep separating them, they have to work out their dominance issues every time you put them back together. See this link. https://guinea-pigs.livejournal.com/3002707.html

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
You'll just stress them out more if you introduce one pair and then add the third. And you may bomb your plan to have them all live together if you introduce two and add the third later. You could wind up with three solo pigs who won't live with either of the others.

It's better to leave them separated until you've got the cage ready, then introduce them all at once.

gpigsrock

Cavy Slave
I should just build the cage and then introduce them? So it wouldn't be good to put them together for a bit, kinda like a little meeting, and then take them back to their cages? I just feel a bit nervous about them all hating each other.

lissie

Cavy Slave
You should build the cage, but not put any pigs in there yet.
Once you have few hours to watch them, put them in an area where none of them have been to. Make sure not to put anything that has the scent of the pigs in the introduction area. The area must not smell like any of them.
If they get along fine, then put them in the newly built cage.
Make sure you wash all bottles, bowls and other accessories to remove all scents.
Read the link I posted earlier.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.