Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Genitals My male guinea pig licking his genitals?!

MalaM

Cavy Slave
Hi, first time guinea pig here. We have our little guy for 2 months now (I think he is about 4 months old) and he recently started licking his genitals. He is doing it maybe couple times a day. Is that normal or no? I've read that sometimes, they are cleaning themselves, but a cage is clean and I can't see anything unusual, so not sure what is going on. Otherwise he's behaving as usual.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Are you sure he's not just eating his cecal poops? They have two different kinds. Cecal poops are soft, greenish, smelly, and contain important vitamins and nutrients that they need to totally digest their food. The darker, harder, bean-shaped poops are the final product, although they will occasionally eat those.

Here's a video on how to clean a boar's anal sac: https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/threads/85830-Awesome-video-on-how-to-clean-the-Anal-Sac. But it does NOT need to be cleaned on any regular schedule. Depending on what his bedding is, how often he flips his sac open, etc, he may or may get some debris up in it. You should check his penis sheath and sac weekly, but only clean if necessary. As he ages, if you wind up never neutering him, he may need more cleaning help from you.

thedempseys01

Cavy Gazer
Oh my goodness, I never knew this. My male guinea pig is two years old and we have never had this problem. Happy you posted so I know what to do.

MalaM

Cavy Slave
I am sure it's not poop. He gets up little bit on his all four and the pops up his penis and starts licking. Thanks for the video, not sure if he would be so still for cleaning. :D

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
He's discovered the joys of pleasuring himself. If he hasn't yet, he'll eventually get boar glue all over the place, possibly on his nose or lips. You''ll have to let it grow out -- the stuff is incredibly hard.

MalaM

Cavy Slave
He's discovered the joys of pleasuring himself. If he hasn't yet, he'll eventually get boar glue all over the place, possibly on his nose or lips. You''ll have to let it grow out -- the stuff is incredibly hard.

I have never heard about boar glue, so that's a new one. I haven't noticed any of it, but I'll pay attention. Is there any way I can stop this behaviour?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
No, you can't stop it, and you don't want to. It's perfectly normal.

Boar glue is dried semen, and it is incredibly sticky, and hard when it's dried. If it gets into the pig's hair, you either have to cut it out or wait til it falls off.

Xyzpdq0121

Cavy Slave

Hey I am sure a few guys here would try if they could be that flexible..

Totally normal though..

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.