Thread: Should I finish my hay before treating pigs for lice?

Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Should I finish my hay before treating pigs for lice?

So, my two piggies have lice. I have read a lot of posts here and at Guinea Lynx about what to do, and have decided to use Ivermectin topically. I'm wondering, though, if I need to wait to treat them. I buy boxed hay from Small Pet Select and had been putting the pigs into the box to graze while I replenished the hay in their cage. Is there any chance that lice or nits could have come off in the hay box and be hanging out in there? Should I wait to treat the lice until all of the old hay is gone? I just don't want to have to repeat this whole process in a couple of months and I'd rather not throw out the hay.

And as far as their toys or fleece forest or anything else like that, do those things need to be de-liced in any way? Thanks for any advice!

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner pinky's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks
    2,491 Rec'd/1,959 Posts
    Mentioned
    684 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1563 Post(s)

Re: Should I finish my hay before treating pigs for lice?

Quote Originally Posted by Bethanyhb View Post
    So, my two piggies have lice. I have read a lot of posts here and at Guinea Lynx about what to do, and have decided to use Ivermectin topically. I'm wondering, though, if I need to wait to treat them. I buy boxed hay from Small Pet Select and had been putting the pigs into the box to graze while I replenished the hay in their cage. Is there any chance that lice or nits could have come off in the hay box and be hanging out in there? Should I wait to treat the lice until all of the old hay is gone? I just don't want to have to repeat this whole process in a couple of months and I'd rather not throw out the hay.

And as far as their toys or fleece forest or anything else like that, do those things need to be de-liced in any way? Thanks for any advice!
    They could have left eggs in there that haven't hatched yet. If you feed them that hay, you'll probably expose your guinea pigs to another generation of lice once they hatch. I'd treat them now and put that hay out in the garage for a month or so until the eggs hatch and the lice die. As long as there isn't a guinea pig host for them to live on, they'll eventually die. I'm not positive about the amount of time you'd have to wait for the hay to be safe to use so I'll let someone else comment on that. In the meantime, I'd get fresh hay and move that hay away from your guinea pigs.

3. "Thank you, pinky, for this useful post," says:

User Tag List