Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Diet Is this normal?

• Thread starter Cavies4EverEver
  • Start date

Cavies4EverEver

Cavy Quiet
Cavy Gazer
My guinea pig soaks her cage a lot. I have to change her fleece every day because it is soaked. What can I do about her going so much? Is this normal?

sallyvh

Cavy Slave
First off, what size is your cage? Fleece does not work well in small cages. What are you using as an absorbant layer? Did you prepare your fleece correctly or is the urine just sitting on top?

It's definitely not normal and you want to get this rectified, it's not healthy for them to sit in a wet cage.

Cavies4EverEver

Cavy Quiet
Cavy Gazer
First off, what size is your cage? Fleece does not work well in small cages. What are you using as an absorbant layer? Did you prepare your fleece correctly or is the urine just sitting on top?

It's definitely not normal and you want to get this rectified, it's not healthy for them to sit in a wet cage.

Size : hers is 2x4 foot
Absorbent layer: I am using newspaper on the bottom and fleece on the top

It's absorbing but I have to change it often: I am trying to find out if it's normal for her to urinate this much.

Diet: cilantro, romaine lettuce, celery, carrots (twice a week) a lot of Timothy hay, and Timothy gay pellets.

CavieGuy

Cavy Slave
My piggies urinate alot. IMO newspaper isn't a great absorbent layer underneath a fleece.

Have you tried uhaul pads or wood pellets as an absorbent layer?

AnnikasMommy

Cavy Slave
Newspaper doesn't absorb very well, it just sits on top of the paper. I use bed pads in my piggie cage but still learning all the ins and outs.

sallyvh

Cavy Slave
The newspaper is most definitely the culprit as it is really not absorbant at all.

Uhual pads or wood pellets are the best absorbant materials but if you cannot get either old towels should work decently well.

I'm sure she is urinating a normal amount, the newspaper just isn't absorbing anything so the fleece is staying wet.

Amanda Marie

Cavy Slave
Could it be her water bottle leaking in addition to her urinating so much? Happened to me once, where it was a combo of the water bottle and the urine. Use uhaul blankets underneath or wood pellets

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.