Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Coughing Is something wrong with Truffles?

Guineas Galore

Cavy Quiet
Cavy Gazer
Okay, so lately when I've been feeding my girls I'll hear a couple of coughs.

It was irregular, and I couldn't tell who it came from until I saw Truffles, my dali, cough.
She seems completely fine other than the odd cough, she's my fattest guinea pig, has bright eyes, no nasal discharge etc...just infrequent coughs.

Does this mean she has a URI? I'm scared, I really love my Truffie :(

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Yes, it probably means she has a URI, and she needs a vet visit. But if you aren't going to take her, please spare us all the protests about how well you take care of your guinea pigs.

Guineas Galore

Cavy Quiet
Cavy Gazer
For something like a URI I will definitely take her! I'll make an appointment tomorrow afternoon. For now, she is separated.

3littlepigz

Cavy Slave
Guineas Galore, so sorry! It's scary, I know. My 2 month old is currently being treated for a URI as well. Can you take her to a vet today or tomorrow?

Guineas Galore

Cavy Quiet
Cavy Gazer
I can't take her right now as it is midnight here in Aus, but I can't sleep because I'm so worried! All the vets here are closed on a Sunday, so I'll call on Monday to organise an appointment.

pigmommy89

Cavy Slave
Unfortunately, guinea pigs housed outdoors tend to get sick more often than indoor pigs. I'm afraid you will continue to have sick pigs as long as a) you keep them outside, and b) they don't get vet care when they are sick. Also, pregnancy and raising a litter are hard on females, so that's not helping some of yours either.

I don't mean to be harsh, but when you choose to have animals, you have to make sacrifices sometimes in order to care for them.

Guineas Galore

Cavy Quiet
Cavy Gazer
I'm trying my best here and I'm trying to answer explaining that I'm organising a vet ASAP...

LittleOlive

Cavy Quiet
Cavy Gazer
Wait your guinea pig lives outdoors?! That's so bad for them!! I couldn't imagine Olive surviving outside :0

3littlepigz

Cavy Slave
Sorry. I'm not seeing where she said that they live outdoors or that she's dealing with a pregnancy. If Truffles (or any other GP) is living outdoors, please do consider bringing her permanently indoors.

pigmommy89

Cavy Slave
Read through some of her older threads.

3littlepigz

Cavy Slave
Ahhhh. Okay. I hope she moves them inside. :(

UniqueCavy

Cavy Slave
Cavy Gazer
Hey guys, just thought I would let you know that here in Australia, most people keep there guinea pigs outside. Yes, Guineas Galore has them outside but they are in very secure and snake proof cages and have very good shade over their cages. We live up in Queensland where it is hot we don't get a winter like you guys over in the colder places. Of course on the odd night when it's very cold she brings them In, or she might bring them in every night in winter - I'm not to sure. But the point is, it's not very common for guinea pigs to be housed inside where we live. Everyone i know keep them outside, just like me. However, things would be a lot different if we lived in Canada, I'm defiantly sure all our guinea pigs would be living inside. So please don't be quick to judge. Thanks :)

pigmommy89

Cavy Slave
Sorry, but "everybody else does it" is not a good reason. Nor is the fact that it is hot there. Guinea pigs fare much worse in heat than in the cold.

foxshy

Cavy Gazer
About the debate of them being outdoors, I do know that guinea pigs can't stand harsh temperatures but I'm sure if many people keep them outdoors in such lovely cages that they'll be fine. Guineas galore and Uniquecavy have lots of experience with this and are more aware of the weather. Also, although our household furs have been off bred for many many years, do remember that they originated as outdoor grass eating sun bathers.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
@foxshy, there is no debate here. We do not recommend outdoor cages for any reason. We know that there are countries where it is the custom to do so, but we do not support that.

UniqueCavy

Cavy Slave
Cavy Gazer
Thanks you! ��

lissie

Cavy Slave
@foxshy @UniqueCavy
We do not recommend outdoor housing due to many reasons. Other than temperatures and predators, guinea pigs can be stolen, harmed, or killed because the live outside.

I know most of these articles are from UK, but some are from Australia.

(broken link removed)
https://www.thisislancashire.co.uk/...e r_sick_intruder_breaks_guinea_pigs__necks/
https://www.facebook.com/qldguineapigrefuge/posts/317988821717664
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...fy-Wuffy-pet-guinea-pig-traps-crocodiles.html
https://www.essex.police.uk/news_features/other_stories/stolen_guinea_pigs.aspx
https://www.wincantonwindow.co.uk/baby-guinea-pigs-stolen-from-balsam-fields.htm
(broken link removed)
https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=11375549
(broken link removed)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.