Thread: So I'm moving and not sure what to do with my pigs while I try to sell my house

Thanks
    Thanks
    53 Rec'd/37 Posts
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quoted
    34 Post(s)

So I'm moving and not sure what to do with my pigs while I try to sell my house

My husband got a job in Southern california, woohoo! We currently live in las vegas, so the actual transportation of the guinea pigs isn't stressing me much. it's a 4 hour drive and I'll make frequent stops to give them lettuce and other water rich veggies. And we plan to move them in a xL close sided doggie crate. I feel very confident about their transportation. I'm just not sure what to do with them in the month or two while I'm trying to sell the house.

My husband is moving out at the end of may about a month ahead of me. And the apartment he's going to use (it's offered as part of his moving package) is animal friendly. My first thought was to send the guinea pigs with him, but he's going to be in a new place, trying to meet new people, maybe working crazy hours to start. And I'm definitely the primary care giver for all the animals in our home. So much so I really don't trust him to take proper care of them on his own. He'd try, but he'd get overwhelmed and then lazy.

The other option is to send them to my Mother's for the month or so between when he leaves and I join him. She will take okay care of them, but she'll be home late fairly frequently so they'll likely run completely out of hay before she gets home at least twice a week. It's also a ton to ask of her (although she freely offered) She has pig sat for me in the past, and I was unsatisfied with her level of care. On top of that she fosters for Las Vegas Basset hound rescue, and right now she's fostering two beagles who are both very loud and energetic, and the other two bassets aren't quiet either. The guinea pigs would be on a dining room table and out of the way of the hounds except for meal times.

I'm not sure which would be more stressful/neglectful to the piggies. Any thoughts? Which is the lesser of two evils.
    Last edited by StarTaleMaddnes; 04-16-15 at 10:31 pm. Reason: spelling errors

Thanks
    Thanks
    14 Rec'd/11 Posts
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quoted
    9 Post(s)

Re: So I'm moving and not sure what to do with my pigs while I try to sell my house

COngrats on the move and husbands new job!! woot woot!

Just my thought on this, but it seems like the pigs might be safer/more cared for with your hubby. he might not give the most excellent care right now but maybe when he's at a new apartment without you or anyone else he knows he might actually really enjoy the company of his familiar pig family. And if your mom has foster dogs, some times the foster dogs are not incredibly well mannered (hence why they are in foster care at the moment). If she is away for long hours the dogs could do some damage and there could be a lot of time before she would find out.

Obviously you know your family much better than any text post could explain them so ultimately it'll be your call. Maybe have your husband take primary care for the pigs for a week before he leaves to 'prepare' him -

Just a thought!! hope it was somewhat helpful

Thanks
    Thanks
    53 Rec'd/37 Posts
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quoted
    34 Post(s)

Re: So I'm moving and not sure what to do with my pigs while I try to sell my house

The fosters and her dogs would never have any supervised access to the guinea pigs, they all get fed in their crates, I just worry about the noise and her twice weekly late meetings. My husband isn't so hot at taking care of the piggies. He doesn't sweep daily when he's on his own and he never follows my plating chart ( I have to bury certain veggies or one of my piggies eats them all and doesn't get a balanced diet)

I just wish I could keep them here with me, and not have to worry about this on top of the move.

Also on a side note most fosters, in multiple animal rescues in las vegas not just LVBR, aren't given up because of poor behavior on there part. At least in Las Vegas it's a lot of foreclosure abandonment, or especially with bassets we get a lot of owner turn ins for stuff like "we just want a younger dog" or "the vet bills are too high and we don't want to deal with it" or worse still "my kid just went to college and we want to travel and dogs don't fit with that plan" Almost none of our owner turn ins are because of animal behavioral problems.

Thanks
    Thanks
    14 Rec'd/11 Posts
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quoted
    9 Post(s)

bleck what poor reasons to give up a furry family member!!! well thats awesome your mom fosters

most of the fosters in my particular area are do to either medical conditions or training issues.

To be honest, my pigs love a loud house. When the house is full and lively they seem so much happier then when it's quiet. maybe your pigs won't mind the noise too too much… who knows!

good luck!!

5. "Thank you, ciaraelise, for this useful post," says:

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner pinky's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks
    2,491 Rec'd/1,959 Posts
    Mentioned
    684 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1563 Post(s)

I think I'd leave them with your mother. You can easily put mounds of hay in the cage so they don't run out. I leave mine on overnight trips we take and they never run out of food, hay or water. Does she have a spare bedroom or bathroom to keep them in where the dogs wouldn't have access to them? How big is your cage that she'd be able to move it up and down from the table for meals? I'd be more concerned about them having to have their cage moved around each day than having dogs in the house. If that's the only option, then I think I'd send them with your husband.

Thanks
    Thanks
    53 Rec'd/37 Posts
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quoted
    34 Post(s)

It's a dining room table, and it wouldn't be moved up or down at all. Also either way they are going to be moved into a midwest cage just for practicality. They are going to end up at my moms it looks like, and I'll be going over a couple times a week to check in on them.

On a side not as soon as we move into our new house they will be moved back into there regular cage.

Thanks
    Thanks
    206 Rec'd/165 Posts
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quoted
    33 Post(s)

Remember it's temporary. If they don't get a perfect vegetable mix they will not suffer health problems in that amount of time so long as the basic requirements are followed. If they don't get as much daily care they will not fall ill in just a few weeks. Many people use beddings where the poop is not all removed daily. When too much mixes in or a certain amount of time passes then it gets changed. Bedding might actually be easier for other people to care for in the short term. Sometimes it is necessary. I had to put all my hedgehogs on to broken down pine pellets, they can't walk on whole pine pellets, from their fleece and remove their wheels for a month due to me having surgery and my husband sucks at daily animal care. The previous time something actually died. It just wasn't safe and practical to need fleece changed and wheels scrubbed during that time. They would have all had poop boots which could lead to foot damage. A year later and they never had a problem from their time on pine.

User Tag List