Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Lethals bald spot on newborn

carlyg

Cavy Slave
My roan guinea pig just gave birth to an albino baby yesterday and it looks like it has a bald spot on its head. I don't know if the father was roan or not so I'm not sure if it could be lethal- could the bald spot be a sign that it does have lethal white syndrome? And is it really a bald spot, or could it just be the way the fur is? Here's a picture of the baby and its sibling
photo (1).jpgphoto (1).jpg

SardonicSmile

Cavy Slave
So cute!

Just looks like a normal, but somewhat big, abby swirl/rosette.

And this is not an albino, but rather a Pink Eyed White (PEW).

A lethal white usually presents with small or deformed eyes, possible deafness and wonky and/or missing teeth. From this picture the white one looks like a normal baby to me.

carlyg

Cavy Slave
Thank you SardonicSmile! I'm new at baby guinea pigs, and I've been worried over the possibility of this lethal white syndrome. It's a relief for someone with more experience to say that's it probably not that.

SardonicSmile

Cavy Slave
I have never dealth with a pig with lethal white syndrome, but they can lead long and happy lives with a bit of extra care.

Fairy (RIP) was a princess among piggies even with her syndrome
https://www.guinealynx.info/forums/viewtopic.php?t=69466

If the piggie's eyes and teeth look normal, I don't think you need to worry and just enjoy the baby fun!

carlyg

Cavy Slave
How do I "update" this thread if I have a new question?

piggielover200

Cavy Slave
@carlyg simply just comment again if its a related question or about the same pig and people will answer

carlyg

Cavy Slave
Thanks @piggielover200

carlyg

Cavy Slave
So lately I've been finding these little tiny bugs in my guinea pigs' cage and around my room. All three pigs have been scratching like crazy, too. Could this be mites or something? And if so, it's not safe to treat newborns for mites, is it? What about the nursing mother?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
If you can see them, they're not mites. And if you're seeing them in the cage and around the room, not just on the pigs, they're unlikely to be lice. Can you post a picture?

CavyMama

Cavy Slave
Just piping in to add, the white pig you have is not a lethal. Lethals will have any numbers of deformities. Anything from small to non-existent eyes, missing teeth, diminished size, etc. They also usually don't live long although some can live full lives.

Also, there is no such thing as an "albino" guinea pig. Being a PEW (pink-eyed white) doesn't make it albino.

Elli91

Cavy Slave
To me it looks like it's just a natural bald spot caused by his fur. Even if what they do have causes fur loss it would be from excess itching, this is not a likely spot for him to be able to scratch

carlyg

Cavy Slave
Thanks for the reassurance about the bald spot @Elli91 and @CavyMama . And @bpatters , I will try to take a picture next time I find one.

carlyg

Cavy Slave
@bpatters here is a picture of the bug- the first one I've seen in a couple of days
bug.jpg

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
That's not a bug that infests guinea pigs. It's after something else in the room -- food, poop, whatever. You'll have to figure out some way to get rid of them that isn't toxic to the guinea pigs.

carlyg

Cavy Slave
okay, thank you

aqh88

Cavy Slave
Bad. They won't harm guinea pigs aside from being annoying but they eat near anything and never seem to die. We had to eliminate all wood products that were not well sealed, no wood bedding, freeze the hay, and seal up all dry food for animal or human except small amounts at a time for 6 months.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.