Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts

guinea pig scared of the other

so i have 2 guinea pigs, both female named pip and rio and i've had them since the beginning of june, they were from the same litter and have never been apart, alway have gotten along but pip had always been the more dominate one of the two . about 3 days ago the one, rio, started chasing pip around and does not leave her alone, pip is very scared of her and whenever rio comes near she starts to squeak, rio also nips at her. i have a hut that they use to always sit in together and now pip sits inside scared while rio sits outside the opening not letting her out. does anyone know what i should do? i try and separate them for a bit and at night so pip can get some rest and i try my best to keep them together to work it out but pip gets so terrified, HELLLP

Mentioned
    2118 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4085 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    7,527 Rec'd/6,014 Posts

Re: guinea pig scared of the other

How large is your cage? A cage that's too small is the major reason why pigs squabble.

Also, if the houses have only one entrance, take them out and replace them with something that has both an entrance and an exit so one pig can't trap another. You can make a fleece forest, or just clip fleece crossways across the corners.

How old are they? Rio might be in heat and things will calm down soon, or she may have ovarian cysts and need to be evaluated by a vet.

Don't separate them unless there's blood being shed. They need to work it out themselves.

User Tag List